Forum IndexRegisterGamesSearchFAQBankMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Office LAN - gigabit problems

Reply to topic    Afrocentric Online Forum Index » The Matrix View previous topic
View next topic

Office LAN - gigabit problems
romalagajini

Joined24 Jun 2009
Posts3
LocationKuwait
Bank0
Bones13.00 Bones

Post Office LAN - gigabit problems Reply with quote
Hi all, I work in a small office for a small business (5 or 6 employees), and we've been here for a long time. We have a bunch of computers and systems (routers, NAS, etc) that run on 100mbps ethernet, and some newer stuff (including main NAS and main switch) that run at gigabit speeds.

My question is this: Does having a mix of 100/1000 speed devices on the same network mean the whole LAN will only work at the lowest (100mbps) speed? I ask this because that's pretty much what's happening. This laptop here has a gigabit NIC, it goes straight to a gigabit switch, which has a gigabit NAS attached via another gigabit router. In my mind, that should mean I can access the NAS at 1000mbps, but I can't (I can access it but only at 100mbps). Is this because there are other slower devices on the same switch/router?

That's question #1. Assuming that all to be the case, how would I go about getting things to work at faster speeds, bearing in mind we're on a shoestring budget and can't replace a bunch of the slower stuff. If I keep the two speeds fairly seperate - eg have ALL 100mbps devices plugged into one gigabit switch, and all gigabit devices plugged into the other (and Cat6 between the two) - would this work? I have enough Cat6 cable to run rings round the office lol .
Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:32 pm View user's profile Find all posts by romalagajini Send private message
dexxtreme

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts3406
LocationThe Alamo
Bank4294967295
Bones11701.78 Bones
Game Trophies:  1
Hall Of Fame Member

Post Reply with quote
As long as the switches are actually fast enough to push gigabit speeds to everywhere that requests it, and each laptop/computer/server/etc. is fast enough to push data at gigabit speeds it should not really matter how they are connected. Having both 100m and 1000m devices on the same switch should not be an issue. It should just push the data to the device as fast as the device can accept it. Have you verified that each device can actually push/pull that much bandwidth? What kind of speeds can you get if you connect a computer directly to the NAS?

What are the actual throughputs you are seeing on each device? Are the switches managed? (Probably not if you are on a small budget.) If they are, you may be able to set up SNMP port monitoring to see what kind of bandwidth is being used by each port.
Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:21 pm View user's profile Find all posts by dexxtreme Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Reply to topic    Afrocentric Online Forum Index » The Matrix All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: