Forum IndexRegisterGamesSearchFAQBankMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
It's the God in Me?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic    Afrocentric Online Forum Index » Spiritual Awakenings View previous topic
View next topic

It's the God in Me?
TheBeautiful_One

Joined03 Apr 2007
Posts1292
LocationOut on a limb...
Bank4294967295
Bones7186.38 Bones

Post Reply with quote
So here's my really late 2 pennies...

I'm in agreement with Smoov...and I tend to stay away from people-pleasing music and search out that which glorifies God...it's cool when both are accomplished. I like theology in my music (horizontal), and substance in my worship (vertical).

On to the topic...

Mary Mary's "God in Me" is a dangerous song for the unbeliever, or those in faulty doctrine. There are many "new agers' who believe that they are gods..that god is in them, thus making them god...they can listen to this song and feel validated. There are many who are "won to Christ", not because of Christ...nor repentence...but because of a promise of smooth sailing, easy-living, wealth, health and prosperity...God did not promise smooth sailing...He promised trials for the believer...persecution...a narrow gate and narrow way that few will travel...we certainly see that truth for the first century church fathers...but this song, validates the prosperity doctrine. It doesn't need anything else to validate it...or to encourage people who are unarmed with the truth of God's Word to believe in it.

It's a catchy song...and for the believer who can get passed the fluff and see what they're saying that's cool...but I believe that it is irresponsible for a child of God, who is placed in a position to "lead" others in worship to put forth such a song to a lost and dying world...and I wouldn't want to stand before Jesus and try to explain why I was pointing people to myself and the things of this world when I should have been pointing them to Him.
Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:01 pm View user's profile Find all posts by TheBeautiful_One Send private message Yahoo Messenger
RemyDee

Joined14 May 2006
Posts3609
Locationsomewhere you're not
Bank0
Bones17370.74 Bones

Post Reply with quote
Great post. That's the point I made so thanks for the confirmation.
Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:29 am View user's profile Find all posts by RemyDee Send private message Send e-mail
pacco96

Joined17 Sep 2005
Posts5011
Bank0
Bones18727.44 Bones

Post Reply with quote
I am more of a spiritual person and not a holy roller. A lot of Mary Mary songs are secular pleasing. However, I think they are going for more inspirational than gospel, nothing wrong with that as long it's a gateway to Christ. It can be confusing when a song giving reverence to God is a #1 club banger, lol. God knows I hate some of those old timey gospel songs because they are depressing rather than uplifiting. Always talking about meeting Jesus where my mother and father is, gone to glory where all your troubles will be over. Jeez, I have to die to be happy. I don't agree with the prosperity preaching because if I didn't have a dime, i should be content in knowing I'm a child of God.
Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:36 pm View user's profile Find all posts by pacco96 Send private message
RemyDee

Joined14 May 2006
Posts3609
Locationsomewhere you're not
Bank0
Bones17370.74 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="pacco96"]I am more of a spiritual person and not a holy roller. A lot of Mary Mary songs are secular pleasing. However, I think they are going for more inspirational than gospel, nothing wrong with that as long it's a gateway to Christ. It can be confusing when a song giving reverence to God is a #1 club banger, lol. God knows I hate some of those old timey gospel songs because they are depressing rather than uplifiting. Always talking about meeting Jesus where my mother and father is, gone to glory where all your troubles will be over. Jeez, I have to die to be happy. I don't agree with the prosperity preaching because if I didn't have a dime, i should be content in knowing I'm a child of God.[/quote]

Umm that's why they are considered 'old timey gospel songs' and negro spirituals. You have to look at the time period of the song during the days of segregation and lynchings.
Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:35 pm View user's profile Find all posts by RemyDee Send private message Send e-mail
BobbyDigital

Joined03 Aug 2002
Posts7583
LocationBlack Hollywood
Bank0
Bones21765.78 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="pacco96"]It can be confusing when a song giving reverence to God is a #1 club banger, lol.[/quote]

[b]Confusing to who? The believer or nonbeliever?[/b]
Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:06 pm View user's profile Find all posts by BobbyDigital Send private message Yahoo Messenger
pacco96

Joined17 Sep 2005
Posts5011
Bank0
Bones18727.44 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote]Confusing to who? The believer or nonbeliever?[/quote]

I would think to anyone who feel they should either do the Ricky Bobby or worship to this song?
Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:27 pm View user's profile Find all posts by pacco96 Send private message
PM

Joined16 Jul 2008
Posts4721
LocationSomewhere drinking YOUR milkshake!
Bank0
Bones25271.48 Bones

Post Reply with quote
I think the video further blurs the line between the a gospel song and a secular song... but you can judge for yourself:

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmbulZdev6M]It's The God In Me[/url]
Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:47 pm View user's profile Find all posts by PM Send private message

Reply to topic    Afrocentric Online Forum Index » Spiritual Awakenings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: