Forum IndexRegisterGamesSearchFAQBankMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Atliens, help me understand

Reply to topic    Afrocentric Online Forum Index » Sportz Wrap View previous topic
View next topic

Atliens, help me understand
Marz

Joined10 Jul 2003
Posts30659
Bank4294967295
Bones546243.93 Bones

Post Atliens, help me understand Reply with quote
I'm afraid like one of the linebackers on the Falcons admitted that this evenings game is going to be like a #7 Christmas tree in the stands. REd and Green #7's.

What is it with some Atl'iens that feel somehow the Falcons did Vick wrong?? Why do I hear this sentiment still??

I was in the barber shop and I was like, "the dude was facing federal charges". The guy goes, "they could have still kept him". I'm like, "the dude said while he was here he DOGGED it. Why do you want that for your team"?

I was telling this to my boy and he was like, "they can relate with dogging it and being half ass,lol" Ok that was a good one. I mean I'd like to think we're long past that Black Q/B thing but I guess not.

Put me on the list as someone who's still not convinced with Vick yet. I still ROOT for him but I'm still not quite on board yet. The TALENT obviously is still OFF THE CHARTS and he does seem to be more cerebral than he ever was which is what I've always asked of him. But it seems that some people in ATL feel that Arthur Blank and 'nem did Vick wrong. Hello, didn't Vick LIE to them?? I know that owner LOVED HIM SOME VICK

I was like, "so were the Falcons just supposed to leave Vick's bloated cap figure on their books and not improve and just wait for him to come back??" The dude said flat out "YEAH". AGain I'm like, "WTF?"
Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:17 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Marz Send private message Send e-mail
MHC

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts22860
LocationSomewhere quietly gaining power...
Bank4294967295
Bones999999999.99 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[color=darkred]What you're missing is a REAL legacy in Atlanta professional sports of the "mainstream" wanting a "Great White Hope" at the expense of "good Black superstars". If you scratch off the latest episode, which is Mike Vick, you'll find that it goes back to Deion Sanders and particularly, Dominique Wilkins.

With Prime Time, you had a situation where a guy was producing for BOTH the Falcons and the Braves. A lot of people don't remember that if Atlanta had won the World Series against Toronto, Deion would have been WS MVP. Dude was hitting doubles and triples game in and game out...WHILE PLAYING FOR THE FALCONS and scoring TDs on returns. Still, the mainstream local media and the rednecks couldn't handle his brand of celebrity and basically created a hostile public environment until dude took his talents elsewhere.

With Nique, you'll still hear local fans sounding like they are STILL mad as hell because "THEY" (Hawks ownership and management) traded Dominique for Danny Manning. Granted, the trade was ridiculous, the Hawks were in 1st place, trading their highest scorer and face of the franchise for a player who was nowhere near as good for only a half season (Manning was in a contract year and became a free agent at the end of the season...and promptly left ATL). The move was seen by a lot of Black fans as an extension of the same sentiment that drove Sanders out of town.

That being said, there is STILL something afoot in this town's sports fans that I can't explain....THERE IS NO LOYALTY. Native Atlanta fans are always seeing other teams as better than theirs and will not commit to supporting their teams when they lose. If you approach an Atlanta sports fan during a losing season, they will most likely tell you "Man, I don't care about no damn Falcons (Hawks), I like the Cowboys (Steelers, Lakers)!" But let them be winning...you got to buy an extra bandwagon. Laughing

Mix all that crap together, and you get a somewhat educated idea of why you observed what you did yesterday.[/color]
Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:27 pm View user's profile Find all posts by MHC Send private message
DamnYouAll

Joined08 Mar 2005
Posts9973
LocationThrowin' some D's on it!!!
Bank0
Bones66448.94 Bones

Post Reply with quote
Good post MrHC. I don't know what it is about the fanbase here, but there are a lot of fairweather fans around these parts. We don't have a fanbase like the Steelers, Packers, etc who will support the team in good and bad times. When they win, everybody is on the bandwagon. When they lose, the bandwagon can't empty fast enough.

When it comes to Vick, you have a lot of people who weren't into the Falcons until he arrived. They were Vick fans, not Falcons fans. It's a trip to hear some of them offer up their reasons as to why they think the Falcons "betrayed" Vick by not keeping on the team during his prison term.
Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:06 pm View user's profile Find all posts by DamnYouAll Send private message
MHC

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts22860
LocationSomewhere quietly gaining power...
Bank4294967295
Bones999999999.99 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="DamnYouAll"][b]When it comes to Vick, you have a lot of people who weren't into the Falcons until he arrived. They were Vick fans, not Falcons fans.[/b] It's a trip to hear some of them offer up their reasons as to why they think the Falcons "betrayed" Vick by not keeping on the team during his prison term.[/quote]

[color=darkred]MAJOR point that's also missed. For a long time "The Game" for a lot of Black people here was TSU vs FAMU. [/color] Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:15 pm View user's profile Find all posts by MHC Send private message
Ms Pris

Joined19 Jan 2002
Posts1843
LocationIn Pris Land
Bank0
Bones2978.12 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="MrHardcandy"][quote="DamnYouAll"][b]When it comes to Vick, you have a lot of people who weren't into the Falcons until he arrived. They were Vick fans, not Falcons fans.[/b] It's a trip to hear some of them offer up their reasons as to why they think the Falcons "betrayed" Vick by not keeping on the team during his prison term.[/quote]

[color=darkred]MAJOR point that's also missed. For a long time "The Game" for a lot of Black people here was TSU vs FAMU. [/color] Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing[/quote]Goooooo Rattlers Smile
Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:18 am View user's profile Find all posts by Ms Pris Send private message

Reply to topic    Afrocentric Online Forum Index » Sportz Wrap All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: