Forum IndexRegisterGamesSearchFAQBankMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Iyanla Says Black Women ARE Outta Order!

Reply to topic    Afrocentric Online Forum Index » Soul II Soul View previous topic
View next topic

Iyanla Says Black Women ARE Outta Order!
shadow777

Joined15 Jul 2007
Posts4122
LocationThe Dark Shadows
Bank0
Bones25393.12 Bones

Post Iyanla Says Black Women ARE Outta Order! Reply with quote
Iyanla Vanzant dishes out hard-hitting life advice on her OWN show “Iyanla: Fix My Life” but her subjects extend past the celebrities and everyday people who appear on the series. She fixed her gaze on black women at Essence Festival when she referred to black women being “out-of-order” on a panel.

She expounded upon that claim during an interview saying…

“We have such a rich culture and in that culture, there are roles and purposes and powers. And we live in a society now where womenare commodities, where women are demeaned, diminished, demoralized in ways that we accommodate.

And if we really understood who we are as feminine representations of the creator of the universe, some of the things that we experience in life — like crying when the unemployed boo boo leaves us — if we really understood who we are, we wouldn’t be so apt to let other people define us and confine us. We are out-of-order!

We give men, let me just say people, who are not honorable respectful sensitive to who we are – we give them reign in our lives in ways that make us mentally emotionally and physically sake.

There is no reason to continue to have children with men who don’t honor us and don’t take care of their children. Out of order.”

She also said that black women are guilty of “defiling” one another by “sleeping with another woman’s man, betraying one another’s confidence and not honoring one another’s word.”

See Video 'Out of Outta of Order'

- See more at: http://www.blackmediascoop.com/iyanla-says-black-women-are-outta-order/#sthash.Zmdz5TL4.dpuf
Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:41 pm View user's profile Find all posts by shadow777 Send private message Send e-mail
mack

Joined16 Jan 2002
Posts56791
LocationSnotlanta
Bank4294967295
Bones990061542.19 Bones

Post Reply with quote
I completely disagree with Iyanla that Black women have ownership of that type of behavior.
Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:19 am View user's profile Find all posts by mack Send private message AIM Address
NubianStorm

Joined20 Sep 2005
Posts9951
Bank0
Bones30804.00 Bones

Post I see a general lack of ambition... Reply with quote
[color=darkblue][b]Yeah, I agree that Black women don't have a patent on trifling behavior, but the event at which (and consequently, the audience to which) she was addressing her comments may be the reason why she singled out Black women.

[quote]if we really understood who we are as feminine representations of the creator of the universe[/quote]

I agree with her about knowing your worth though, but again – this “not knowing your worth” thing isn’t exclusive to fem-pop. I come across too many men who are truly living beneath their abilities and are content/comfortable to be living mediocre lives. As long as they have a job, a roof over their heads and can pay their bills most of the time, they’re doing good and don’t strive for more. They don’t travel beyond their block, they don’t have bank accounts, they don’t have credit cards (but they do have bad credit). They may have graduated from high school but didn’t go on to a trade school or college. They own nothing but the clothes on their backs and a tv. I hear their dreams, because I ask – but they are doing nothing toward making those dreams a reality. That’s why I say they’re content/comfortable. Because if you know your worth, you won't settle for mediocre.[/b][/color]
Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:47 pm View user's profile Find all posts by NubianStorm Send private message Send e-mail
ingenue

Joined04 Apr 2005
Posts41761
Bank4294967295
Bones68364.93 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="mack"]I completely disagree with Iyanla that Black women have ownership of that type of behavior.[/quote]

I didn't get that she solely put all trifling behavior on Black women. But she is, in this case, only speaking about Black women. Not all women of all races.

We don't always have to be 'inclusive' when we're talking about negative things. Sometimes we need to just own it and talk to each OTHER with out making the excuse that everyone else is doing it.
Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:50 pm View user's profile Find all posts by ingenue Send private message
NubianStorm

Joined20 Sep 2005
Posts9951
Bank0
Bones30804.00 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote]like crying when the unemployed boo boo leaves us [/quote]

[color=darkblue][b]I think she could've used a better example. If the reason why you're crying is cuz he took off with all of your material possessions and cleaned out your bank account, then your tears are justified. If he had an astronomical gastric eruption all over your bathroom but didn't clean it up when he left, then your tears are justified. If he was a mandingo warrior and you're crying cuz you'll miss the shaboink, then your tears are more than justified girlfriend (just once though, don't mourn over no snausage). She failed with that example.[/b][/color]
Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:53 pm View user's profile Find all posts by NubianStorm Send private message Send e-mail

Reply to topic    Afrocentric Online Forum Index » Soul II Soul All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: