Forum IndexRegisterGamesSearchFAQBankMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Anyone completely give up cable?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Afrocentric Online Forum Index » Da Corner View previous topic
View next topic

Anyone completely give up cable?
NEAquarius

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts15542
Locationhere, there, everywhere
Bank0
Bones33553.70 Bones

Post Anyone completely give up cable? Reply with quote
I think I'm about to make that move and get a Roku. Anyone else do this?
Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:29 pm View user's profile Find all posts by NEAquarius Send private message
Bootylicious

Joined14 Jun 2005
Posts8527
LocationYour Computer Screen!
Bank0
Bones95605.42 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[color=olive]NOPE! I gather I am too old school. Embarassed I love my cable stations & have always been able to negotiate great deals since I am a customer of good standing & a senior citizen. Plus what I don't have, I can easily download/stream/burn from the net.[/color]
Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:11 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Bootylicious Send private message
MHC

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts22860
LocationSomewhere quietly gaining power...
Bank4294967295
Bones999999999.99 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[color=darkred]I did it about 6 months ago, and I'm not hurting...

1. If you get internet via the broadband "cable" company, local channels come through the feed. Hook it up to your TV and *poof*, you've got all the local channels that broadcast in digital (digital tuner required).

2. Hulu Plus will keep you up on most of your network shows and quite a few cable shows at no additional cost.

3. Amazon Prime offers a number of cable shows on a PPV basis

4. If you're not an absolute junkie for certain cable shows (RHOA, Storage Wars), you won't miss much.

I guess it really all depends on your current viewing habits. I found myself paying way too much for what was/is 85% utter bullshit and random garbage on cable. From basic/enhanced cable, I only miss the number of college football games I can get on Saturdays. From "pay" channels, I really only miss NFL RedZone.

Other than that...fuck'em, I'm keepin' my money![/color]
Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:52 pm View user's profile Find all posts by MHC Send private message
MHC

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts22860
Bank4294967295
Bones999999999.99 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="Bootylicious"][color=olive]Plus what I don't have, I can easily download/stream/burn from the net.[/color][/quote]

[color=darkred]...and of course, there's THAT. [/color] Twisted Evil
Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:53 pm View user's profile Find all posts by MHC Send private message
mack

Joined16 Jan 2002
Posts56791
LocationSnotlanta
Bank4294967295
Bones990061542.19 Bones

Post Reply with quote
I have cable and Roku.
Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:28 pm View user's profile Find all posts by mack Send private message AIM Address
NEAquarius

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts15542
Bank0
Bones33553.70 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="MHC"][color=darkred]I did it about 6 months ago, and I'm not hurting...

1. If you get internet via the broadband "cable" company, local channels come through the feed. Hook it up to your TV and *poof*, you've got all the local channels that broadcast in digital (digital tuner required).

2. Hulu Plus will keep you up on most of your network shows and quite a few cable shows at no additional cost.

4. If you're not an absolute junkie for certain cable shows (RHOA, Storage Wars), you won't miss much.

I guess it really all depends on your current viewing habits. I found myself paying way too much for what was/is 85% utter bullshit and random garbage on cable. From basic/enhanced cable, I only miss the number of college football games I can get on Saturdays. From "pay" channels, I really only miss NFL RedZone.

Other than that...fuck'em, I'm keepin' my money![/color][/quote]

Thanks. I bought the Roku yesterday and am looking for an antenna now. I asked the cable company how much it would be with just internet, the guy hemmed and hawwed telling me I had a much better deal for my money if I kept the cable. I finally got him to admit it's less than $40 a month. It gives me a headache thinking about how I've been paying a whole bunch of money for channels I don't even watch.

I'll miss Discovery ID Embarassed and a couple of other channels but I'll deal.
Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:22 pm View user's profile Find all posts by NEAquarius Send private message
faceman68

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts6035
Bank0
Bones13682.54 Bones

Post Reply with quote
I am checking out the site now, and y'all got me a bit interesting in buying this thing.
Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:06 pm View user's profile Find all posts by faceman68 Send private message Send e-mail
not4uplayer

Joined18 Jan 2002
Posts8112
LocationTexas
Bank4294967295
Bones9779.73 Bones

Post Reply with quote
I dropped Time Warner YEARS ago and haven't missed it at all. I get about 11 free channels, watch some programs online, have Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu to stream from. I'd never go back no matter how cheap the plan.
Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:09 pm View user's profile Find all posts by not4uplayer Send private message
JayBrizzy

Joined15 Jun 2002
Posts3706
Bank4294967295
Bones6497.96 Bones

Post Reply with quote
Those who have netflix, how do you stream to watch it? I could do the no cable thing, but I have teen agers in my home. I would have to hear those bamas cry liked they lived in a third world country if the cable got shut down.
Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:07 pm View user's profile Find all posts by JayBrizzy Send private message Send e-mail
QTPie

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts74993
LocationSinnin' and fallin' short.
Bank4294967295
Bones999999999.99 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="JayBrizzy"]Those who have netflix, how do you stream to watch it? I could do the no cable thing, but I have teen agers in my home. I would have to hear those bamas cry liked they lived in a third world country if the cable got shut down.[/quote]

Xbox, Playstation, appletv and roku can stream netflix.
Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:29 pm View user's profile Find all posts by QTPie Send private message
bella

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts25155
LocationSitting on the edge of insanity...
Bank0
Bones20518.48 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="MHC"][color=darkred]I did it about 6 months ago, and I'm not hurting...

I'm seriously considering doing this in 2014
Google has a new doohickey they're releasing that's similar to the roku
I can't justify the cost for what I'm getting from cable
I don't watch much tv as it is - internet is more important
The only thing that's stopping me is that I can't get the special sports channels Rolling Eyes that cable has.
Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:43 am View user's profile Find all posts by bella Send private message Send e-mail
MHC

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts22860
Bank4294967295
Bones999999999.99 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[color=darkred]Yeah, bella...like I said, that's what I miss most of all. It's probably the ONLY thing I [i]really [/i]miss.[/color]
Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:29 pm View user's profile Find all posts by MHC Send private message
faceman68

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts6035
Bank0
Bones13682.54 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="bella"][quote="MHC"][color=darkred]I did it about 6 months ago, and I'm not hurting...

I'm seriously considering doing this in 2014
Google has a new doohickey they're releasing that's similar to the roku
I can't justify the cost for what I'm getting from cable
I don't watch much tv as it is - internet is more important
The only thing that's stopping me is that I can't get the special sports channels Rolling Eyes that cable has.[/quote]

Bella, I am seriously considering it as well. However, I am not sure it is going to be next year. However, with the cost of cable and satellite going up, I am willing to take a very hard look at something like Roku.
Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:24 pm View user's profile Find all posts by faceman68 Send private message Send e-mail
mack

Joined16 Jan 2002
Posts56791
LocationSnotlanta
Bank4294967295
Bones990061542.19 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="JayBrizzy"]Those who have netflix, how do you stream to watch it? I could do the no cable thing, but I have teen agers in my home. I would have to hear those bamas cry liked they lived in a third world country if the cable got shut down.[/quote]

I have Roku. Kids stream on X-box, I think. Or Playstation. One of them you have to pay. I can't remember which.

I have basic cable. Pay for Netflix. And stream HBO from "somewhere" else. Cool
Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:36 am View user's profile Find all posts by mack Send private message AIM Address
NEAquarius

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts15542
Bank0
Bones33553.70 Bones

Post Reply with quote
someone want to clue me in (via PM) how to get HBO elsewhere?
Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:33 am View user's profile Find all posts by NEAquarius Send private message
mack

Joined16 Jan 2002
Posts56791
LocationSnotlanta
Bank4294967295
Bones990061542.19 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="NEAquarius"]someone want to clue me in (via PM) how to get HBO elsewhere?[/quote]

[hide]Find someone else who pays for HBO and get their streaming password.[/hide]
Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:08 am View user's profile Find all posts by mack Send private message AIM Address
noirprncess

Joined27 Sep 2005
Posts18132
LocationNorthern NJ
Bank4294967295
Bones29117.66 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="mack"][quote="NEAquarius"]someone want to clue me in (via PM) how to get HBO elsewhere?[/quote]

[hide]Find someone else who pays for HBO and get their streaming password.[/hide][/quote]

good to know.

[hide]Make friends with someone that has Verizon FiOS. They get 3 or 5 email addresses which can be used for MAX Go, HBO GO, Showtime and Starz streaming apps.[/hide]
Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:10 am View user's profile Find all posts by noirprncess Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Bootylicious

Joined14 Jun 2005
Posts8527
LocationYour Computer Screen!
Bank0
Bones95605.42 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="noirprncess"][quote="mack"][quote="NEAquarius"]someone want to clue me in (via PM) how to get HBO elsewhere?[/quote]

[hide]Find someone else who pays for HBO and get their streaming password.[/hide][/quote]

good to know.

[hide]Make friends with someone that has Verizon FiOS. They get 3 or 5 email addresses which can be used for MAX Go, HBO GO, Showtime and Starz streaming apps.[/hide][/quote]
[hide][color=olive]Actually it's now up to 7-10 email addresses.[/color]
[/hide]
[hide][color=olive]Or join a Bit Torrent website or find someone who will send you an invite to a PRIVATE Bit Torrent site. You can download everything to your hearts desire in HD and/or Blue-Ray quality to burn onto a DVD to watch at your leisure.[/color][/hide]
Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:47 am View user's profile Find all posts by Bootylicious Send private message
NEAquarius

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts15542
Bank0
Bones33553.70 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="Bootylicious"][quote="noirprncess"][quote="mack"][quote="NEAquarius"]someone want to clue me in (via PM) how to get HBO elsewhere?[/quote]

good to know.

[hide]Make friends with someone that has Verizon FiOS. They get 3 or 5 email addresses which can be used for MAX Go, HBO GO, Showtime and Starz streaming apps.[/hide][/quote]
[hide][color=olive]Actually it's now up to 7-10 email addresses.[/color]
[/hide]
[hide][color=olive]Or join a Bit Torrent website or find someone who will send you an invite to a PRIVATE Bit Torrent site. You can download everything to your hearts desire in HD and/or Blue-Ray quality to burn onto a DVD to watch at your leisure.[/color][/hide][/quote]

okay, I'll keep in mind
Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:27 pm View user's profile Find all posts by NEAquarius Send private message
Dun

Joined21 Jan 2002
Posts6393
LocationChicago, IL
Bank0
Bones28501.36 Bones

Post Reply with quote
I'm paying $200 per month for HD DVR cable and internet from Comcast.

I live too far from the center of the city to receive HD from an antenna.

If it weren't for NFL Football and boxing, I probably wouldn't have cable at all.
Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:07 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Dun Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Reply to topic    Afrocentric Online Forum Index » Da Corner All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: