Forum IndexRegisterGamesSearchFAQBankMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
A step in the right direction

Reply to topic    Afrocentric Online Forum Index » Da Corner View previous topic
View next topic

A step in the right direction
Playaga

Joined06 Mar 2002
Posts1702
LocationAtlanta, GA
Bank0
Bones19.00 Bones

Post A step in the right direction Reply with quote
Bill seeks to fill in paternity blanks

By ANNA VARELA
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 01/26/05
If a state lawmaker gets his way, unmarried women who give birth in Georgia will face a question from hospital staff: Who's the daddy?

Rep. Ben Bridges (R-Cleveland) on Tuesday introduced the Baby's Right to Know Act, which would require hospitals to ask the question. Bridges said his goal is to give children access to their full medical history by identifying the biological father and getting his name on the birth certificate. It would not legally require the new mother to name the man.

"This law does not punish the mother. It simply states that the hospital is required to ask who the father is," Bridges said of House Bill 4. "My main reason is a child gets up later in years and they go for a physical and the doctor asks for their family history and it might be crucial to know that family history."

Bridges said his research found that some hospitals don't ask an unmarried mother to identify the father.

In Georgia, nearly 53,000 babies were born to unmarried women in 2003, 37 percent of all babies born that year, according to state records. It's unknown how many of those babies don't have a father listed on their birth certificate.

Metro Atlanta hospitals say they follow state law, which requires them to provide unmarried women with literature about legally establishing the paternity of their children. But they vary on whether they actually ask women to name the father.

Officials at Atlanta's Grady Memorial Hospital, where 70 percent of the 4,107 births were to unwed mothers in 2003, say they ask. Officials at Northside Hospital, which delivers the most babies in Georgia, say they don't.

Under current law, when an unmarried woman gives birth, the father's name cannot go on a birth certificate unless she and the man give their written consent. Bridges' bill would allow the hospital to put a man's name on the certificate and file it with a notation that the paternity is "unconfirmed." The county Health Department would then be called upon to try to find the man (with the help of law enforcement if necessary) and give him the opportunity to accept paternity or challenge it through DNA testing. The man also would receive information about his rights and responsibilities regarding the child.

If passed, the bill could result in more fathers financially supporting their children, said Randy Kessler, an Atlanta family law attorney.

In general, it's better to address questions of who the biological father is, who should pay child support and who should be a part of the child's life as early as possible, said Kessler.

"This bill forces people to deal with issues that will eventually arise," he said.
Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:00 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Playaga Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Darren

Joined28 Jul 2003
Posts1744
LocationWashington, DC
Bank0
Bones2947.42 Bones

Post Reply with quote
Razz I'm sure this is being referred to as the "Who's Your Daddy Act of 2005"
Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:38 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Darren Send private message Yahoo Messenger
MzPhatBooty

Joined18 Apr 2003
Posts6279
LocationWorldwide
Bank0
Bones166.00 Bones

Post Reply with quote
They NEED to start working on that bullshit that is MAKING men take care of kids that aren't theirs! Mad

AND start presenting these triflin chicks that are falsely accusing men with some consequences! Mad
Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:42 pm View user's profile Find all posts by MzPhatBooty Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
act up

Joined01 Mar 2002
Posts6440
LocationNSP headquaters
Bank4294967295
Bones6349.56 Bones

Post Reply with quote
I read about 1/2 of that. I don't think it's right. Cause Mary Sue White could easily claim that that SENATOR is the daddy...then you got some incorrect info on the record. They aughta just wait for the DNA test or acknowledgment. How many mothers DON'T tell their kids who their real father is? 1 in a million.
Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:19 pm View user's profile Find all posts by act up Send private message
Darren

Joined28 Jul 2003
Posts1744
LocationWashington, DC
Bank0
Bones2947.42 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="act up"]How many mothers DON'T tell their kids who their real father is? 1 in a million.[/quote]

It's not that uncommon. Countless numbers of women, particularly young women, don't name a father on the birth certificate. This is a misguided attempt to keep increasing numbers of children off the dole. The problem is that it will lead to increased spending in mothers and fathers contesting paternity.

This is a legitimate issue, but I don't think this proposal is the way to go about solving it.
Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:25 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Darren Send private message Yahoo Messenger
bb74

Joined14 Nov 2002
Posts64999
LocationDon't Worry About It
Bank4294967295
Bones127358.74 Bones

Post Reply with quote
How is putting somebody's name on a birth certificate helping a child find out about his father's history? That will just give him a starting point - assuming the child's mother was truthful about his parentage or if she even knew.
Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:36 pm View user's profile Find all posts by bb74 Send private message
khapran

Joined24 Oct 2003
Posts3503
Bank0
Bones14973.38 Bones

Post Reply with quote

Last edited by khapran on Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:37 pm View user's profile Find all posts by khapran Send private message
Lady L

Joined19 Feb 2003
Posts4569
LocationShenandoah Valley
Bank4294967295
Bones533.57 Bones

Post Reply with quote
The reason why so many birth certificates have no father listed is because they can't put a name there unless the father is there to claim paternity. A lot of men have been wrongly stated as being the father and were not. My father-in-law was arrested for that mess because some chick stated on some [b]school documents[/b] he was the father. If his name was on [i]birth certificate[/i].... *whew* Mad
Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:39 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Lady L Send private message
bb74

Joined14 Nov 2002
Posts64999
Bank4294967295
Bones127358.74 Bones

Post Reply with quote
My daughter's birth certificate doesn't have her father's name on it because I didn't want it on there. No need for it, IMO.

I don't agree w/these bootleg laws that say just because a man's name is on a birth certificate, then he's automatically held responsible for that child. If a chic is single and has a baby, then DNA testing should be mandatory - it would stop foolishness like Rayne & Lady described. Get paternity established from the outset and cut down on some of this madness.
Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:46 pm View user's profile Find all posts by bb74 Send private message
act up

Joined01 Mar 2002
Posts6440
LocationNSP headquaters
Bank4294967295
Bones6349.56 Bones

Post Reply with quote
in va...the name only goes on certificate if father signs acknowledgment of paternity, DNA test proves it and you submit it, or you're married. If you're married and your husband is NOT the father....it must be left blank or your husband will be listed.
Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:33 pm View user's profile Find all posts by act up Send private message
Special K

Joined13 Jun 2003
Posts1142
Locationout in the boonies
Bank4294967295
Bones1090.76 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="act up"]I read about 1/2 of that. I don't think it's right. Cause Mary Sue White could easily claim that that SENATOR is the daddy...then you got some incorrect info on the record. They aughta just wait for the DNA test or acknowledgment. [b]How many mothers DON'T tell their kids who their real father is?[/b] 1 in a million.[/quote]

Hell my mother still doesn't know who her father is and my grandmother still won't tell her Confused

This is another useless law...IMO
Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:36 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Special K Send private message
Kimora

Bank0
Bones10.00 Bones

Post Reply with quote
In my opinion the reason there are so many birth certificates without the fathers name on it is because the fathers don't want their names on the Birth Certificate.....

I think it is in the childs best interest to have the REAL fathers name on the Birth Cert. regardless whether the mother wants it on there or not....this is for the benefit of the child and the child only....the child has a right to know who his or her father is.....I mean if there is any doubt then make the man provide a blood sample so there is not shady business going on......

I wish I had my fathers name on my certificate!!!
Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:28 pm Find all posts by Anonymous
bb74

Joined14 Nov 2002
Posts64999
Bank4294967295
Bones127358.74 Bones

Post Reply with quote
Just so this is clear - a child can be fully aware of who their father is without that being on a birth certificate. All the mother has to do is TELL THEM.
Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:54 pm View user's profile Find all posts by bb74 Send private message
Kimora

Bank0
Bones10.00 Bones

Post Reply with quote
In a perfect world yes...but human beings are flawed so in the best interest of the child every effort should be made by the proper authorities to have the REAL fathers name on the certificate!!!

The mothers name is automatically placed on the certificate so the fathers name on the certificate should be just as important.....the mother didn't make the child by herself.....
Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:04 am Find all posts by Anonymous
Rock Star

Joined16 Nov 2004
Posts19420
Bank0
Bones58532.34 Bones

Post Reply with quote
Does anybody watch Maury for crying out loud??

A lot of these young girls DON'T KNOW who the father of the child is.

Razz
Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:09 am View user's profile Find all posts by Rock Star Send private message Send e-mail
Marz

Joined10 Jul 2003
Posts30659
Bank4294967295
Bones546243.93 Bones

Post Reply with quote
Damn you would have thought the politicians were the ones that skipped.

I can think of one thing EASILY that happens often.

God forbid something happens to the kid were they may need a kidney, bone marrow, blood, etc. Not saying the "DADDY" may be willing(to give up any of the above) but it would be a GREAT starting point considering there is a good chance of a match (not always but better than RANDOM).
Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:10 am View user's profile Find all posts by Marz Send private message Send e-mail
delta84

Joined21 Nov 2002
Posts29053
Locationhigh school hell
Bank4294967295
Bones29798.51 Bones

Post Reply with quote
Unfortunately...this is another attempt to make someone, other than the state, financially responsible for the children. I'm all for that in one sense, but this is a trap with so many problems that it ain't even funny. The first thing they'll do, is issue a warrant for the arrest of the "daddy" on abondonment and some poor fool, will be hunted down like an animal and mistreated, just because some chic listed him as her baby daddy and she wasn't really sure from jump. Evil or Very Mad

I think it should be there if he's willing to acknowledge the child, or the court orders it based on paternity testing...but to just pull a name outta the sky and slap it on there is ridiculous.
Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:25 am View user's profile Find all posts by delta84 Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Reply to topic    Afrocentric Online Forum Index » Da Corner All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: