Forum IndexRegisterGamesSearchFAQBankMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Uconn vs. Georgia Tech
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic    Afrocentric Online Forum Index » Poll forum View previous topic
View next topic

Uconn vs. Georgia Tech

Who'll Win tonight
Yellow Jackets
42%
 42%  [ 3 ]
Huskies
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I don't care long as PUKE U lost
57%
 57%  [ 4 ]
The one with the best unis
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
"They make too much money anyway" opps their college athletes. Well still,lol
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 7

Marz

Joined10 Jul 2003
Posts30659
Bank4294967295
Bones Bones

Post Uconn vs. Georgia Tech Reply with quote
I'm amazed that American Idol eclipses things like the SUPER BOWL and even the NCAA championships here. Especially considering the huge ATL contingent here..
Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:31 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Marz Send private message Send e-mail
Dun

Joined21 Jan 2002
Posts6393
LocationChicago, IL
Bank0
Bones Bones

Post Re: Uconn vs. Georgia Tech Reply with quote
[quote="Marz"][b]I'm amazed that American Idol eclipses things like the SUPER BOWL [/b]and even the NCAA championships here. Especially considering the huge ATL contingent here..[/quote]

This year's Super Bowl, perhaps.

Okay, I admit that the NCAA Championship hasn't been getting much hoopla this year. But why?
Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:34 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Dun Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kalibane

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts8630
Bank4294967295
Bones Bones
Game Trophies:  3
Hall Of Fame Member

Post Reply with quote
Yeah most definitely my vote goes to "It doesn't matter as long as Duke lost" Laughing

Fuck Duke.... let's see how good their "Star" Chris Duhon is in the Pros... they fucking nauseate me.
Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:38 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Kalibane Send private message
BoyToy

Joined24 Jul 2002
Posts7564
LocationBasking In My Cali Sunshine…...
Bank0
Bones Bones

Post Reply with quote
Going for Georgia...ecstatic that Duke lost.... Very Happy
Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:49 pm View user's profile Find all posts by BoyToy Send private message
Horse

Joined19 Mar 2002
Posts9626
Bank0
Bones Bones

Post ? Reply with quote
[b]My loyalty is with my alma mater - GT...[/b]

Not only one of the best schools for IT, but we also can hoop. Very Happy

Although personally I had Duke and GT in the finals and I had Duke wining by 5.

UConn is impressive. We beat them once and they are out for revenge.

Should be a good game.
Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:51 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Horse Send private message
amethyst

Joined20 Jan 2002
Posts16438
LocationThe Woods
Bank4294967295
Bones Bones

Post Reply with quote
When my school was eliminated, I stopped giving a damn. Rolling Eyes
Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:53 pm View user's profile Find all posts by amethyst Send private message AIM Address
bb74

Joined14 Nov 2002
Posts64999
LocationDon't Worry About It
Bank4294967295
Bones Bones

My vote was I don't care as long as Duke doesn't win. I hate them. Always have.

I haven't really been keeping up with college basketball, so I honestly have no opinion about who's the better team. I'm just looking forward to a good game.

[quote="OnE Love Dun"][quote="Marz"][b]I'm amazed that American Idol eclipses things like the SUPER BOWL [/b]and even the NCAA championships here. Especially considering the huge ATL contingent here..[/quote]

This year's Super Bowl, perhaps.

Okay, I admit that the NCAA Championship hasn't been getting much hoopla this year. But why?[/quote]

They were talking about this Sunday morning. Mike Wilbon (or maybe it was Bob Ryan) were saying that the college game is hurt by all the high school stars going straight to the pros. I don't know if I agree w/that or not. College ball is more entertaining than the pros - and there's no sporting event that's better than the NCAA tourney.
Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:54 pm View user's profile Find all posts by bb74 Send private message
BobbyDigital

Joined03 Aug 2002
Posts7583
LocationBlack Hollywood
Bank0
Bones Bones

[quote="OnE Love Dun"]Okay, I admit that the NCAA Championship hasn't been getting much hoopla this year. But why?[/quote]

[b]Well... that's simple. The NBA.

NCAA basketball pretty much sucks now. I haven't been excited about college basketball since the end of the Fab 5. Lawd knows that's only a pipe dream now. There are no SuperStars in the NCAA anymore.

Remember when college was flooded with great college players? When having Chris Webber, Jalen Rose, Juwan Howard, Grant Hill, Christian Lattener, Bobby Hurley, Jamal Mashburn, etc... etc... .... all in the same tourney at the same time? Rasheed, Vince, and Stackhouse on the same UNC team (that was hellified to watch at Clemson)? Those days are gone.

As fans, you don't have time to celebrate a player before he's off to the next level. I mean remember the GA Tech/Georgetown match up that was really Stephon vs. Iverson? Those are a thing of the past.

Now the top college senior athlete goes down in the draft for staying too long due to the poor transition of those that stay 4 years (except Tim Duncan). And the good ones leave for the money (can't blame them if the opportunity is there).

[/b]
Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:58 pm View user's profile Find all posts by BobbyDigital Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Kalibane

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts8630
Bank4294967295
Bones Bones
Hall Of Fame Member

Post Reply with quote
Hey Stack and Sheed weren't on the same team as Vince... Vince was recruited to replace Stack and Jamison replaced Sheed.
Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:00 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Kalibane Send private message
Marz

Joined10 Jul 2003
Posts30659
Bank4294967295
Bones Bones

Post Reply with quote
The drama of the tourney is still there as in one team can win it all thats unheraled and you'll rarely have that in a series. even though I don't follow it like I used to, I still watch the championships and Final Fours.

I was hoping that Oklahoma would do becuase I like John Lucas's son (same name) a lot.

I'm torn between these two schools because some of my fav players schools. But I'll pick UCONN
Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:01 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Marz Send private message Send e-mail
BobbyDigital

Joined03 Aug 2002
Posts7583
LocationBlack Hollywood
Bank0
Bones Bones

[quote="bb74"]My vote was I don't care as long as Duke doesn't win. I hate them. Always have.

They were talking about this Sunday morning. Mike Wilbon (or maybe it was Bob Ryan) were saying that the college game is hurt by all the high school stars going straight to the pros. I don't know if I agree w/that or not. College ball is more entertaining than the pros - and there's no sporting event that's better than the NCAA tourney.[/quote]

[b]I agree with Mike Wilbon. It does hurt the game because the NCAA tourney would be off the hook if cats like Lebron and Carmelo were in college. I think it's more convincing to say that the NCAA tourney would be significantly better if high school stars were there; which I think is an undeniable truth.

But you can't blame the kid for taking the jump.

I can think of several sporting events now that I'd consider better than the NCAA tourney... Even the NBA regular season has benefitted from young talent in the league.

I'm more interested in whether the Denver Nuggets will make the playoff and who'll be Rookie of the Year than the NCAA tourney. Very Happy [/b]
Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:06 pm View user's profile Find all posts by BobbyDigital Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Blackbear

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts19595
LocationHibernation
Bank0
Bones Bones

Post Reply with quote
I haven't watched one full game yet. I may watch tonightbut I doubt it.

Anyhow....I am going for Ga Tech. I like their coach. He got spunk.

Twisted Evil
Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:06 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Blackbear Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bb74

Joined14 Nov 2002
Posts64999
LocationDon't Worry About It
Bank4294967295
Bones Bones

Post Reply with quote
I completely disagree, Chez. That whole "star player" concept is what has ruined the NBA. It's no longer team against team. It's Lebron & the Cavs vs. Carmelo & the Nuggets. I hate that part of of the game.

You don't need "stars" to have a great time or great games, as this tourney (and several before it) have proven.
Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:08 pm View user's profile Find all posts by bb74 Send private message
Kalibane

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts8630
Bank4294967295
Bones Bones
Hall Of Fame Member

Post Reply with quote
I gotta agree with Marz though ... While I took notice of individual college greats like Ewing, Jordan, Sean Elliot, Chris Jackson, Larry Johnson, Webber, Stack, Sheed, Shaq... etc... the individuals were never important as it pertained to the college game. I didn't know even half the major players in the tourney this year but that in no way decreased the entertainment value of the tourney...

If anything it made it more exiting because of the more level playing field being a top seed no longer guarantees anything as evidenced by Stanford and Kentucky's early exits. All the drama is still there... there were a ton of great games especially from the Elite 8 on ...

I don't think the hardcore b-ball fan has turned off the tourney (even a guy like me who didn't follow college ball AT ALL this year tuned in for the tournament)...and I don't think the casual fan even knew who the stars were in the past... so I really doubt that's it. I mean think about this even in the past.... the year the Fab Five went to the final... Who was the star of the championship? Donald Williams.

The things that really stick out in my mind often have little to do with the big time stars with NBA futures... or at least not the biggest and brightest NBA futures... In recent history you have Laettner's shot over Kentucky... I still remember Tyus Edny Coast to Coast... Charles O'Bannon getting beat on the back door play by Princeton... Steve Nash leading Santa Clara to an upset over #2 Arizona... Bryce Drew carrying Valparaiso, Dan Dickau carrying Gonzaga two straight years... That's the stuff that makes the tourney what it is... and none of them are big time pros except Steve Nash who isn't high profile and is better known for the mop on his head.
Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:09 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Kalibane Send private message
BobbyDigital

Joined03 Aug 2002
Posts7583
LocationBlack Hollywood
Bank0
Bones Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="bb74"]I completely disagree, Chez. That whole "star player" concept is what has ruined the NBA. It's no longer team against team. It's Lebron & the Cavs vs. Carmelo & the Nuggets. I hate that part of of the game.

You don't need "stars" to have a great time or great games, as this tourney (and several before it) have proven.[/quote]

[b]When was the NBA ever about team? As far as I can remember every championship series in the NBA pitted one SuperStar against another with a core of role players. The individual star player is what made the NBA was it is today. Why you think the first couple of years post-Jordan their was a slump in their ratings?

This tourney and the several before it proves my statement... just look at the ratings. They're actually worried and fighting to compete with American Idol and the NBC Tuesday line up.

I'm not saying that the games aren't still good... just it's not the same as saying...

"Chris Webber travelled then went up the court and called a time out when the team didn't have any and they lost."

"Remember how high Grant Hill got on that dunk against Kentucky?"

"Did you see that ally-opp Vince Carter rocked?"

vs.

"That dude from Tech scored a lay up with 2 seconds left to win the game... ummmm what was his name????"

Shit... what was his name?[/b]
Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:18 pm View user's profile Find all posts by BobbyDigital Send private message Yahoo Messenger
BobbyDigital

Joined03 Aug 2002
Posts7583
LocationBlack Hollywood
Bank0
Bones Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="Kalibane"]The things that really stick out in my mind often have little to do with the big time stars with NBA futures... or at least not the biggest and brightest NBA futures... In recent history you have Laettner's shot over Kentucky... I still remember Tyus Edny Coast to Coast... Charles O'Bannon getting beat on the back door play by Princeton... Steve Nash leading Santa Clara to an upset over #2 Arizona... Bryce Drew carrying Valparaiso, Dan Dickau carrying Gonzaga two straight years... That's the stuff that makes the tourney what it is... and none of them are big time pros except Steve Nash who isn't high profile and is better known for the mop on his head.[/quote]

[b]Good histortic moments there. But from this tourney and the ones since 2001. Are there any great moments/plays/shots that you'll be on your rocking chair talking about?

Tyus Edny, Charles O'Bannon, Steve Nash, Bryce Drew, Dan Dickau were all GREAT "college" players. The NCAA don't even have that to me anymore. Well maybe one or two floating around.[/b]
Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:24 pm View user's profile Find all posts by BobbyDigital Send private message Yahoo Messenger
delta84

Joined21 Nov 2002
Posts29053
Locationhigh school hell
Bank4294967295
Bones Bones

Post Reply with quote
I just hope they contain them chirren if GATech wins or lose...we don't need no more bad press for GATech.
Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:30 pm View user's profile Find all posts by delta84 Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
juju

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts22914
LocationNeverland Valley Ranch
Bank4294967295
Bones Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote]Chris Webber travelled then went up the court and called a time out when the team didn't have any and they lost." [/quote]
but i wouldn't say chris was the superstar on the team as much as "The Fab Five" was the superstar. chris became infamous after the time out, but it was always about chris, jalen, jimmy, juwan and ray. it was moreso how this starting team of freshman could go [i]that [/i]far in a tourney. how they completely revolutionized style (aesthetically speaking) in college basketball. now when chris and juwan left, and headed for the nba it became a different story.

i'm not into college basketball like i used to be, so i don't care who wins. but i'll pick GT since they're an ACC team (that's not the Puke Blue Devils) and i hated UConn's women's teams.
Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:38 pm View user's profile Find all posts by juju Send private message
BobbyDigital

Joined03 Aug 2002
Posts7583
LocationBlack Hollywood
Bank0
Bones Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="juju"][quote]Chris Webber travelled then went up the court and called a time out when the team didn't have any and they lost." [/quote]
but i wouldn't say chris was the superstar on the team as much as "The Fab Five" was the superstar. chris became infamous after the time out, but it was always about chris, jalen, jimmy, juwan and ray. it was moreso how this starting team of freshman could go [i]that [/i]far in a tourney. how they completely revolutionized style (aesthetically speaking) in college basketball. now when chris and juwan left, and headed for the nba it became a different story.[/quote]

[b]The thing about the Fab 5 were that Chris, Jalen, Jimmy, Juwan, and Ray were all high school stars. They were the Fab 5 once they all committed to Michigan before they even played their first game together. The question wasn't how far they could go... people were predicting them to win it all before the tourney began.

But like I said... today you don't have that in the NCAA... history makers. Just a group of good players with the end of an NBA bench waiting for them.[/b]
Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:47 pm View user's profile Find all posts by BobbyDigital Send private message Yahoo Messenger
bodom

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts10653
LocationINDIANAPOLIS
Bank4294967295
Bones Bones
Game Trophies:  4
Hall Of Fame Member

Post Reply with quote
[quote="ChezCouvier"][b]When was the NBA ever about team? As far as I can remember every championship series in the NBA pitted one SuperStar against another with a core of role players. The individual star player is what made the NBA was it is today. Why you think the first couple of years post-Jordan their was a slump in their ratings?

This tourney and the several before it proves my statement... just look at the ratings. They're actually worried and fighting to compete with American Idol and the NBC Tuesday line up.

I'm not saying that the games aren't still good... just it's not the same as saying...[/b][/quote]
i disagree. because if it was REALLY about stars, then why is the nba so DOWN this year? there's a slump in the ratings is both the ncaa and the nba. the nba all-star game is a good barometer. it was played in a big city and had lots of exposure and hype. but the ratings were WAY down. and that's with a ton of hoop stars in a "star" city.

look at the ratings for the nba this year as well. many people say it's boring to watch. and what's funny is that people complain and complain and no one is happy. they complain about the low scores, but when two teams play a high scoring game, they complain about that too. "how can you give up 117 points? you guys suck. you have no defense...". no one is happy with anything and i don't think scoring has anything to do with it, because when abc shows the mavs/kings games, i don't they get any big boost in ratings because they play more up and down.

who watches the nba on abc on a regular basis? if all the stars are in the nba, then why are THEIR ratings down? and with another expansion team coming, i'm going to have to endure yet another year of "expansion is the reason for diluted talent in the nba". how is the talent in the nba diluted if that's where all the stars are?

i have to admit, it's not about stars to me, because i've actually watched more WOMEN'S college b-ball this year. i can't pinpoint why. i think it's because games were on almost every night whereas i had to wait almost a week for the next round of men's games to start.

--
bodom
Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:52 pm View user's profile Find all posts by bodom Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

Reply to topic    Afrocentric Online Forum Index » Poll forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: