Forum IndexRegisterGamesSearchFAQBankMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
UCLA hires a black coach for its football Program

Reply to topic    Afrocentric Online Forum Index » Sportz Wrap View previous topic
View next topic

UCLA hires a black coach for its football Program
cornbread

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts7830
Locationhardtime, MS
Bank0
Bones10935.48 Bones

Post UCLA hires a black coach for its football Program Reply with quote
http://espn.go.com/ncf/bowls02/s/lasvegas_dorrellucla.html

first it was the Willingham hire at ND, then Ozzie Newsome was named the GM of the Ravens, then Bob Johnson is awarded an expansion NBA franchise, and now UCLA hires a black football coach..... what is the world coming to?

good news abounds

here's to your success Karl DOrrell
Thu Dec 19, 2002 7:17 pm View user's profile Find all posts by cornbread Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Blackbear

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts19595
LocationHibernation
Bank0
Bones6593.72 Bones

Post Reply with quote
What happened to Mike Riley?

Laughing

Congrats to Karl Dorrell..... Cool

....but Charlie Strong of South Carolina still sits out there.....maybe he needs to take one of those SWAC jobs.......Jackson State is still looking for a HC.....

Confused
Thu Dec 19, 2002 8:11 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Blackbear Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Blackbear

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts19595
LocationHibernation
Bank0
Bones6593.72 Bones

Post Reply with quote
From the local paper.......

[quote]Dorrell new UCLA coach
Broncos aide 'outstanding fit' for UCLA

By Billy Witz
Staff Writer

Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - Karl Dorrell, who turned 39 on Wednesday, received a birthday present he isn't likely to forget -- he was named the head football coach at UCLA.

Dorrell, a former UCLA receiver who has spent the past three seasons as the receivers coach for the Denver Broncos, was offered the job Wednesday afternoon by UCLA athletic director Dan Guerrero and quickly accepted.

Dorrell, who was chosen over two other finalists -- New Orleans Saints assistant coach Mike Riley and Kansas City Chiefs defensive coordinator Greg Robinson -- will fly to Los Angeles this morning for a noon press conference.

"Obviously, I am privileged and honored to be the new head football coach at UCLA, Dorrell said in a statement released by the school. "It has always been a dream of mine to someday return to campus as the head coach at this great university."

The hiring of Dorrell puts a new face on the UCLA program, one that is distinctly different from Bob Toledo, who was fired last week.

Dorrell is viewed as young, handsome, fit, energetic, bright and, of course, African-American. He is UCLA's first African-American head football coach and one of only four among the nation's Division I schools.

This is of no small significance at UCLA, a school that has produced African-American athletic pioneers such as Arthur Ashe, Jackie Robinson and Rafer Johnson.

It was a point Dorrell emphasized during his interview Tuesday with UCLA chancellor Albert Carnesale, who last spring made Guerrero the first Hispanic athletic director in school history and the fifth among Division I schools.

"In today's day and age, having an African-American football coach represent your university has the potential to pay incredible dividends for the university," said a source close to the search. "It's a whole brand new ballgame now."

Dorrell has spent 12 years as a college assistant coach, including stints at the universities of Colorado and Washington with Rick Neuheisel. He said in an interview at LAX Tuesday before he returned to Denver that nobody has had a bigger impact on him than Broncos coach and general manager Mike Shanahan.

"No doubt, he's had more of an influence on me than anybody, Dorrell said. "Not only as a coach, but as a man who runs a well-oiled machine.

Dorrell had more alumni support than either Riley, who had never worked at the school, or Robinson, who was an assistant coach at UCLA when Dorrell played there in the mid-80s. He was a particularly popular choice among his contemporaries, like two former quarterbacks who threw to him -- Tom Ramsey and Matt Stevens. Dorrell also had the support of former UCLA coach Terry Donahue and former 49ers coach Bill Walsh.

"Karl Dorrell is an outstanding fit for UCLA, Guerrero said in a statement. "Everyone with whom I spoke held Karl in high regard in the areas of leadership, coaching, relating to players, recruiting and dealing with the media and alumni. I believe that Karl is the man who can build UCLA football to the elite level.

DORRELL ERA
PERSONAL
Name: Karl Dorrell
Birthplace: Alameda, Calif.
Family: Wife Kim and children Chandler and Lauren
Hometown: San Diego
High school: Helix, San Diego

PLAYING CAREER

UCLA: 1982-86, receiver
Legacy: Completed career ranked No. 2 in receptions (108) and No. 4 in receiving yards (1,517).

COACHING EXPERIENCE
1988: UCLA, graduate assistant
1989: Central Florida, receivers
1990-91: Northern Arizona, offensive coordinator
1992-93: Colorado, receivers
1994: Arizona State, receivers
1995-98: Colorado, offensive coordinator
1999: Washington, offensive coordinator
2000-02: Denver Broncos, receivers

In many ways, Dorrell would appear to fit the profile of what Guerrero said he was looking for when he began what he said would be a national search last Monday. The one exception, though, was the first quality he listed: head coaching experience.

Dorrell, despite lobbying by those on his behalf, did not get an interview at Cal last year before it hired Jeff Tedford. And San Diego State, located in his hometown, chose a former junior college coach, Tom Craft, over Dorrell and others.

The UCLA job will also require a steep learning curve. The Bruins return eight starters on offense and seven on defense and probably have the most talented group returning in the Pac-10. Theyll be expected to compete with Washington and Arizona State for the Pac-10 title next season and also have a challenging nonconference schedule, with trips to Oklahoma and Colorado.

Dorrell will return to Denver after today's press conference and work with the Broncos through Sunday. A UCLA spokesman wasn't sure if Dorrell would attend the Bruins' Las Vegas Bowl game on Christmas Day, but re-affirmed that he would not coach the team in the game.

His first two duties will be to put together a staff and get a jump on recruiting. Among those who could be retained is defensive coordinator Phil Snow, who was credited for turning UCLA's poor defense around in his two seasons. Snow worked with Dorrell at Arizona State in 1994.

"He's a gem, a class guy," Snow said last week of Dorrell. "If (Guerrero) feels the guy he hires is incredibly energetic with the enthusiasm and leadership abilities to bring his team into the next level, Karl could be the guy. I don't know if he'll be able to get over the fact that he's not a head coach.

Dorrell has agreed to a contract in principle, but a school spokesman said the terms were not available Wednesday. Guerrero, who said the school would offer a contract that was competitive with most Pac-10 schools, was believed to be tendering a deal with a base of about $700,000 with incentives that could push the deal close to $1 million.

However, that was what UCLA was expected to offer someone with more experience, like Riley, who has been a head coach at Oregon State, the San Diego Chargers and Winnipeg of the CFL.

While Guerrero said at the start of the search that the search would be a thorough, deliberate process, most of the speculation focused on Riley as the front-runner. Guerrero and assistant athletic director Bob Field, less than 12 hours after the press conference announcing the firing of Toledo, were on a plane to New Orleans to interview Riley.

Riley's near-30-year relationship with Field and his experience as a head coach -- something Dorrell and Robinson lacked -- was taken as a sign by many that UCLA would hire Riley. That speculation was further fueled last week when Riley turned down a more lucrative offer from his alma mater, Alabama, and no other proven commodities had surfaced in the UCLA search.

Even if there were many who were lukewarm about Riley -- he did not have a winning record in his five seasons at Oregon State and San Diego -- few thought there was a more likely hire.

However, according to a source close to the search, Dorrell, dressed in a stylish dark suit and white shirt, had an extremely impressive interview with Carnesale and vice chancellor Pete Blackman on Tuesday.

"The bottom line is, Karl kicked (tail) in the interview," said the source close to the search. "He really showed passion and demonstrated from a philosophical standpoint the importance of discipline, what it means to be a Bruin, what it means to wear that uniform, to go to school and graduate from here and to beat SC and win Pac-10 championships."

Dorrell, as he prepared Tuesday to return home, thought he left a good impression, too.

"It was very positive, he said. "I told them I could redirect the program back to the level it should have been and bring the toughness, discipline and integrity that the program should have."
[/quote]

A great hire.......

Laughing @ Mike Riley....beaten out by an ole fart (Mike Price at Alabama) and a young Black phenom...... Twisted Evil
Thu Dec 19, 2002 8:59 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Blackbear Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cornbread

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts7830
Locationhardtime, MS
Bank0
Bones10935.48 Bones

Post Reply with quote
when i first saw that Dorrell's last job was as Wide Recievers coach for the Broncos, i starting thinkin about Bobby Williams being promoted from running backs coach, but then i saw that Dorrell has been an Offensive Coordinator at Washington & Colorado...

i've never understood how Mike Riley could be in such demand and never had a winning season as a head coach, and his last head job , he was 1-15 with the Chargers..... have that what they've been reduced to to replace the legendary Junction Boy at Alabama?
Thu Dec 19, 2002 9:10 pm View user's profile Find all posts by cornbread Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address

Reply to topic    Afrocentric Online Forum Index » Sportz Wrap All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: