Forum IndexRegisterGamesSearchFAQBankMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Africans: Likeable?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Reply to topic    Afrocentric Online Forum Index » Poll forum View previous topic
View next topic

Africans: Likeable?

Ever Met An African You Didn't Like?
Yes
69%
 69%  [ 16 ]
No
17%
 17%  [ 4 ]
If they aren't related to Bobby B. I have no time!
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 23

BishopTuTu

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts43669
LocationMD
Bank4294967295
Bones Bones

Post Africans: Likeable? Reply with quote
In my lifetime I've only met a few Africans that actually had manners and were respectful. The majority of the ones I've had contact with (in doctor offices or stores) have children that are just hell raisers. Personally, I don't care for African's too tough on an interpersonal level. The men are cool, pretty respectful, but the women are just straight up rude.

Is this a cultural thing?
Tue May 11, 2004 6:30 pm View user's profile Find all posts by BishopTuTu Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Marz

Joined10 Jul 2003
Posts30659
Bank4294967295
Bones Bones

Post Reply with quote
I'm never amazed how an entire continent of different people can be stereotype by their own Americanized descendants.
Tue May 11, 2004 6:38 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Marz Send private message Send e-mail
BishopTuTu

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts43669
LocationMD
Bank4294967295
Bones Bones

Post Reply with quote
Well Marz, that's almost like saying I'm never amazed at how all women can be characterized as acting the same way based on the interactions that you've had with them.

Answer the question.
Tue May 11, 2004 6:48 pm View user's profile Find all posts by BishopTuTu Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
DulceDuro

Joined01 Jan 2004
Posts2535
LocationMotherland's End
Bank0
Bones Bones

Post Reply with quote
[color=darkblue]Just like nobody [b]BUT US[/b] care to remark on the miniscule (to the outside looking in) differences between Black people from different parts of this country....although we argue along cultural lines daily in this muthafucka.

Why is it neccessary to say "Nigerians, Angolans, Congolese, Ghanans, and Kenyans" when we can simply say "African" and we all know what and WHO the fuck we are talking about?

Shit...you go to a Nigerian and say "Nigerian", that muthafucka is liable to ask you "What you mean? Yoruba, Ibo, etc....???"[/color]
Tue May 11, 2004 6:52 pm View user's profile Find all posts by DulceDuro Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Horse

Joined19 Mar 2002
Posts9626
Bank0
Bones Bones

Post Reply with quote
In my opinion, they always seemed to be annoyed by something and rushed. I guess if I were standing outside in 100+ heat with no shoes on a basket on my head and flies round my mouth, I would not have much time for chit-chat either.

I like to get an African and Japanese in the room together... They both have very strong personalities.

All the ones I've meet are very sharp though...I don't understand why companies don't export IT work there instead of India??
Tue May 11, 2004 7:06 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Horse Send private message
bella

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts25155
LocationSitting on the edge of insanity...
Bank0
Bones Bones

Post Reply with quote
Laughing Laughing
Tue May 11, 2004 7:11 pm View user's profile Find all posts by bella Send private message Send e-mail
amethyst

Joined20 Jan 2002
Posts16438
LocationThe Woods
Bank4294967295
Bones Bones

Post Reply with quote
I've mostly been in contact with men from Africa. There were quite a few at ASU when I was there...and they pretty much stuck together and didn't hang with the other students. There are some that work in my office building. All of them except 2 were very arrogant and about 3 steps from getting an ass whupping. One of then got deported...all his papers were not in order. One of the 2 nice ones was tryna holla at me Rolling Eyes and the other one was just a ladies man period. Laughing
Tue May 11, 2004 7:14 pm View user's profile Find all posts by amethyst Send private message AIM Address
BishopTuTu

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts43669
LocationMD
Bank4294967295
Bones Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="Horse"]In my opinion, they always seemed to be annoyed by something and rushed. I guess if I were standing outside in 100+ heat with no shoes on a basket on my head and flies round my mouth, I would not have much time for chit-chat either. [/quote]

I cannot believe you wrote that. Shocked

[quote]I like to get an African and Japanese in the room together... They both have very strong personalities.[/quote]

I haven't had too much contact with Japanese people. Well except when I go over to Otani's at lunch.

[quote]All the ones I've meet are very sharp though...I don't understand why companies don't export IT work there instead of India??[/quote]

That's a good question. Most of the African men I've met in business are computer programmer's and seemed to be pretty damn good at the work they do.
Tue May 11, 2004 7:16 pm View user's profile Find all posts by BishopTuTu Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Othrman

Joined30 Jul 2002
Posts1306
Bank0
Bones Bones

Post Reply with quote
[i][b]**[/b][/i]

[size=15][color=indigo]Clearly, it's a cultural thing... I mean clearly... [/color][/size]

[i][b]**[/b][/i]
Tue May 11, 2004 7:18 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Othrman Send private message
Horse

Joined19 Mar 2002
Posts9626
Bank0
Bones Bones

Post Reply with quote
I mean come on.. It's hot as hell over there... you notice Arabs and Africans talk really fast and rushed. They trying to get out of the heat.....
Tue May 11, 2004 7:19 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Horse Send private message
DulceDuro

Joined01 Jan 2004
Posts2535
LocationMotherland's End
Bank0
Bones Bones

Post Reply with quote
[color=darkblue]"Africans" in America, regardless of that country they are from almost all come out of systems of culture and governments strongly influenced by the colonial system. Unless they happen to be Pan-African in their philosophy, large parts of their outlook is based on what they were indoctrinated with over the past 100-150 years. Colonial society is strongly class driven. Many of them see themselves as "white" or some equivalent and have no patience to deal with those who are "beneath" them....mainly us, who are mostly decended from chattel slaves as opposed to "them" who, despite genocide, subjugation, ethnic cleansing, and forced labor and indoctrination still see themselves as "free" subjects of a commonwealth or imperium or decendants of such.[/color]
Tue May 11, 2004 7:21 pm View user's profile Find all posts by DulceDuro Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Brian1982

Joined01 Mar 2002
Posts12410
LocationPG County, MD
Bank0
Bones Bones

Post Reply with quote
In my opinion and experiences No and Yes. I'm in my Senior year here at Bowie and the African Professors and Doctors makeup the majority in my department (Communications) and they are not that nice. They are mean and honory, and talk down to you in such a condescending way. They talk to you like they are so much better than you and feel like you are something they scrapped off their shoes. Now for the African students that are here, they are really nice and they'll talk to you with respect, you can form friendships and study groups with them, but as far as the older African adults here I don't like them.
Tue May 11, 2004 7:29 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Brian1982 Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
BoyToy

Joined24 Jul 2002
Posts7564
LocationBasking In My Cali Sunshine…...
Bank0
Bones Bones

Post Reply with quote
Some Africans from the continent are very likable and friendly (Ghanaians for example)…some are downright hostile (Nigerians come immediately to mind)….I think it’s definitely cultural…and there are many different cultures on that continent…
Tue May 11, 2004 7:31 pm View user's profile Find all posts by BoyToy Send private message
supasista

Joined19 Feb 2004
Posts2461
Bank0
Bones Bones

Post Re: Africans: Likeable? Reply with quote
[quote="BishopTuTu"]In my lifetime I've only met a few Africans that actually had manners and were respectful. The majority of the ones I've had contact with (in doctor offices or stores) have children that are just hell raisers. Personally, I don't care for African's too tough on an interpersonal level. The men are cool, pretty respectful, but the women are just straight up rude.

Is this a cultural thing?[/quote]

I have a friend from college who shared a room with a sista from Senegal and there was always conflict. She did come off at times very abrupt, condescending and extremely judgmental..but of course the conflict was always based on the cultural differences. In fact, she complained often that she found us to be very rude. I had a classmate though who was from South Africa and we've remained friends to this day. There was never an issue .

Now the Sengalese women that have braided my hair?? Whew! Talk about trying to tell these women...TOO TIGHT! All they did was talk to each other in french and ignore my cries for help...LOL. Then they act like they couldnt understand me when they clearly spoke to me in english when I arrived... Laughing

Now the brothers from Africa that I have come into contact with were always very cool and were often quite interested in conversation or telling me what part of Africa they though I came from. Smile

Could it be that women sometimes just have difficulty relating..especially when there is a cultural difference??

But honestly my experiences have varied.
Tue May 11, 2004 7:36 pm View user's profile Find all posts by supasista Send private message
supasista

Joined19 Feb 2004
Posts2461
Bank0
Bones Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="Horse"]I mean come on.. It's hot as hell over there... you notice Arabs and Africans talk really fast and rushed. They trying to get out of the heat.....[/quote]

Laughing I really was trying hard not tot laugh but... Laughing

hell I'm not tryin to chit chat either when it hot!
Tue May 11, 2004 7:40 pm View user's profile Find all posts by supasista Send private message
supasista

Joined19 Feb 2004
Posts2461
Bank0
Bones Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="DulceDuro"][color=darkblue]"Africans" in America, regardless of that country they are from almost all come out of systems of culture and governments strongly influenced by the colonial system. Unless they happen to be Pan-African in their philosophy, large parts of their outlook is based on what they were indoctrinated with over the past 100-150 years. Colonial society is strongly class driven. color][/quote]

speak on it...you also see this in some west indian cultures.
Tue May 11, 2004 7:45 pm View user's profile Find all posts by supasista Send private message
SHADOW

Joined19 Jan 2002
Posts8059
LocationThe Shadows, were there's are no imperfect Shadows
Bank4294967295
Bones Bones

Post Reply with quote
I work with three BRothas from AFrika. They are pretty cool.
I've talk to the local RADio shack owner, and he's pretty cool Too.

To me it depends, on what you are talking about.

EMp=When you talk to a god fearing person, they talk down to you.
or try to make you think you are crazy for not believling they way.

When i meet someone from AFrika and they seems a bit off standing.
i usually ask them what language do they speak, and that brings out the
good sprirts.

I 'm always trying to learn something, when I meet them. So i guess they don't get a chance to be nasty or the like.

Last edited by SHADOW on Tue May 11, 2004 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tue May 11, 2004 7:58 pm View user's profile Find all posts by SHADOW Send private message Send e-mail
jellis

Joined23 Apr 2002
Posts6544
LocationI don't know
Bank0
Bones Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="Marz"]I'm never amazed how an entire continent of different people can be stereotype by their own Americanized descendants.[/quote]

If you've never said anything that made sense...this time you have...

so sad Rolling Eyes
Tue May 11, 2004 7:59 pm View user's profile Find all posts by jellis Send private message
BoyToy

Joined24 Jul 2002
Posts7564
LocationBasking In My Cali Sunshine…...
Bank0
Bones Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote]Now the Sengalese women that have braided my hair?? Whew! Talk about trying to tell these women...TOO TIGHT! All they did was talk to each other in french and ignore my cries for help...LOL. Then they act like they couldnt understand me when they clearly spoke to me in english when I arrived... Laughing[/quote]

Laughing I have a Sengalese hair braider too..real cool people... she listens to me tho... Laughing
Tue May 11, 2004 8:00 pm View user's profile Find all posts by BoyToy Send private message
bb74

Joined14 Nov 2002
Posts64999
LocationDon't Worry About It
Bank4294967295
Bones Bones

Post Reply with quote
All of the African men I've met/dealt with have been arrogant, overbearing, possessive bastards. I don't know if it's a cultural thing or what, but I couldn't be bothered with those mufuckas and I've been wary of African men ever since.

I've never had any dealings with any African women, so I can't speak on that.
Tue May 11, 2004 8:11 pm View user's profile Find all posts by bb74 Send private message

Reply to topic    Afrocentric Online Forum Index » Poll forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: