Forum IndexRegisterGamesSearchFAQBankMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
"Smoking bans" in public places, how do you feel
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Reply to topic    Afrocentric Online Forum Index » Da Corner View previous topic
View next topic

"Smoking bans" in public places, how do you feel

Smoking bans in restaurants, bars, etc
Fuk dem, unless it's trees then I'm all for it
14%
 14%  [ 3 ]
I'on curr bout dem
14%
 14%  [ 3 ]
The business owners choice
52%
 52%  [ 11 ]
Only if I'm allowed to smoke with Bobbby Brown should it be legal
19%
 19%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 21

Marz

Joined10 Jul 2003
Posts30659
Bank4294967295
Bones546243.93 Bones

Post "Smoking bans" in public places, how do you feel Reply with quote
Yes we know most of AO are non smokers and some think the habit as filthy, blah, blah, blah.

Save that retort. What is your opinion of smoking bans in places like bars & all areas of restaurants?

I have mixed feelings on this one. Personally I hate coming home smelling like smoke but on the other hand I think like, "damn, you can't smoke anywhere else if you're a smoker indoors but a bar."

This is akin to me to taking liquor out of a bar. I think of the economic effect of it to and those in the hospitality industry who stands to lose millions from the income also.

Also, if I own a bar, restaurant, etc. Who is govt to dictate to me what type of customers I should have?? If I want to have smokers, thats my right.

Which is where I stand, it should be up to to proprietor. Thoughts??
Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:41 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Marz Send private message Send e-mail
Omega Phoenix

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts28103
LocationIn the wilderness, being a Prophet of Rage
Bank4294967295
Bones48177.28 Bones

Post Reply with quote
I think it should be up to the proprietors. I don't smoke, nor do I like the smell of cigarettes (especially when I'm eating)... but that's what non-smoking sections are for.

When I hear about smoking being banned in all public places, INCLUDING bars and taverns, I think that this is beyond ludicrisp. As long as smoking cigarettes is legal, the business owners should have the final say-so about who does what in its private establishment.
Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:45 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Omega Phoenix Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
QTPie

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts74993
LocationSinnin' and fallin' short.
Bank4294967295
Bones999999999.99 Bones

Post Reply with quote
I think it shoulf be up to the business owner. I see nothing wrong with people smoking at a bar or in a club. But I dislike it at restaurants that don't have bars mainly because I'm not a smoker and that means you will be at your table smoking near me.
Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:47 pm View user's profile Find all posts by QTPie Send private message
Kalibane

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts8630
Bank4294967295
Bones999999999.99 Bones
Game Trophies:  3
Hall Of Fame Member

Post Reply with quote
Count me with PM ... I hate smoking but how are you going to tell a privately owned business what they can and can't allow in their establishment (so long as it's legal otherwise)? If smoke bothers you that much then do not patronize. It's that simple. Let the market itself dictate restaurant/bar policy. If restaurants see that you make more by having smoke free establishments then they will go smoke free.
Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:49 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Kalibane Send private message
Marz

Joined10 Jul 2003
Posts30659
Bank4294967295
Bones546243.93 Bones

Post Reply with quote
I agree with the consensus. There was a law passed here that addressed this and in both cities (St Paul & Mpls) it passed.

http://www.startribune.com/stories/462/4895943.html

I think it's "gestapo'ish" if I own a coffee shop, you're telling me what types of patrons can and can't attend my shop. Whoever mentioned that if you as an individual have an issue with it, you should go there is on point.
Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:46 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Marz Send private message Send e-mail
Rantdiva

Joined16 Jan 2002
Posts4608
LocationWhere Black Folk Are Scarce
Bank4294967295
Bones5086.10 Bones

Post Reply with quote
It's not that simple. If there was a closed off room in every establishment where smokers can go and pollute their lungs until their heart's content, then cool-let them smoke. But when your carcinogens float over to my table then we have a problem. One persons' rights end where another's rights begin. Smokers rights end when I have to smell that awful shit, or my future (or anyone's for that matter) child has to smell that shit.

Now I don't agree about airport bans. Most airports have a closed off smokers room. They should be able to have that.

rd
Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:54 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Rantdiva Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Marz

Joined10 Jul 2003
Posts30659
Bank4294967295
Bones546243.93 Bones

Post Reply with quote
They're are plenty more things that are affecting people's bodies than second hand smoke. I can start with diet, air pollution, food persevatives, etc.
Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:57 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Marz Send private message Send e-mail
Celestial

Joined06 Apr 2002
Posts3107
LocationLos Angeles, CA
Bank0
Bones13210.90 Bones

Post Reply with quote
I don't understand the poll choices so I can't vote, but I will say that it goes beyond what you should and should not be able to do.

It's a health issue. You, as a nonsmoker, may feel that people can do whatever they want to do and you as a nonsmoker may decide to patronize a smoking establishment. Over time you run the risk of getting lunch cancer, emphysema or a whole host of other diseases. That in turn means you have to go to the doctor and then we get into the whole issue of health insurance.

Do you really think the HMOs want to shell out a bunch of money because your ass decided you wanted to Eat at Joe's and get lung cancer? Uh, no.
Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:58 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Celestial Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Celestial

Joined06 Apr 2002
Posts3107
LocationLos Angeles, CA
Bank0
Bones13210.90 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="Marz"]They're are plenty more things that are affecting people's bodies than second hand smoke. I can start with diet, air pollution, food persevatives, etc.[/quote]

Yes, but that's not the topic of this particular conversation.
Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:59 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Celestial Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Marz

Joined10 Jul 2003
Posts30659
Bank4294967295
Bones546243.93 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="Celestial"]I don't understand the poll choices so I can't vote, but I will say that it goes beyond what you should and should not be able to do.

It's a health issue. You, as a nonsmoker, may feel that people can do whatever they want to do and you as a nonsmoker may decide to patronize a smoking establishment. Over time you run the risk of getting lunch cancer, emphysema or a whole host of other diseases. That in turn means you have to go to the doctor and then we get into the whole issue of health insurance.

Do you really think the HMOs want to shell out a bunch of money because your ass decided you wanted to Eat at Joe's and get lung cancer? Uh, no.[/quote]

You're saying this like HMO's are honest themselves. PUHLEASE, I work in the health insurance industry thats laughable. All they care about is gouging your premiums.

If the HMO's were really truly concerned then they would BAN smoking outside of their facilities where their employees are staffed since THEY can dictate those grounds.

-------------------
Everyones hero Michael Moore will soon be doing a movie about HMO's btw as if the evidence of their shananigans isn't already out there.

So when does it stop or more to the point this is utter bullschit. Since WHEN has the government TRULY cared about it's CITIZENS?? But now we should buy into the fact that they're making it safe for patrons of private establishments right? What a crock!!

Look no further than WWII when the govt OPENLY promoted smoking for GI's.

So when does it stop?? Also you as a Californian should be much more concerned about the smog filled air that you're exposed to regardless than smoke from an establishment where you can [b]choose [/b]to go to or not..
Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:08 am View user's profile Find all posts by Marz Send private message Send e-mail
Celestial

Joined06 Apr 2002
Posts3107
LocationLos Angeles, CA
Bank0
Bones13210.90 Bones

Post Reply with quote
*sigh*

I never said that the HMOs CARED, I said that our getting lung cancer from smoking facilities is fucking with their money and they're not havin' it.

I also never said I didn't care about air pollution, I just said that is not the topic here. If you want to talk about air pollution, create a topic.

Further, patrons are not the only victims of smoking: dishwashers, bus boys, waitresses, cooks, janitors, delivery and postal personnel and so forth are also victims of second hand smoke and they do not have the option of just not delivering to a smoking facility.

Last edited by Celestial on Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:11 am View user's profile Find all posts by Celestial Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Marz

Joined10 Jul 2003
Posts30659
Bank4294967295
Bones546243.93 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="Celestial"][quote="Marz"]They're are plenty more things that are affecting people's bodies than second hand smoke. I can start with diet, air pollution, food persevatives, etc.[/quote]

Yes, but that's not the topic of this particular conversation.[/quote]

It doesn't have to be. I would think as I ended my last post that the air you breathe that you'll encounter PRIOR to attending a private establishment would be of more concern.

But sticking with the topic as you've requested, fine.

So the govt should have the right to impose to me what can provide my patrons as far as atmosphere for something THEY ACCEPT TAX MONEY on thats legal?? Talk about hypocrisy. What next..

"You can't sell bottled water unless you buy from our resovoir"??
Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:12 am View user's profile Find all posts by Marz Send private message Send e-mail
bodom

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts10653
LocationINDIANAPOLIS
Bank4294967295
Bones999999999.99 Bones
Game Trophies:  4
Hall Of Fame Member

Post Re: "Smoking bans" in public places, how do you fe Reply with quote
[quote="Marz"]Yes we know most of AO are non smokers and some think the habit as filthy, blah, blah, blah.[/quote]
i hate smoke too. hell, i even hate it outside when they're all huddled up and the wind is blowing that crap my direction.

[quote="Marz"]Save that retort. What is your opinion of smoking bans in places like bars & all areas of restaurants?[/quote]
this is america and i hate restrictions. i'm all for FREEDOM. if a business wants to allow smoking in their own bar, then that's their prerogative. period. if you don't like it, then go to another bar. simple as that.

[quote="Marz"]I have mixed feelings on this one. Personally I hate coming home smelling like smoke but on the other hand I think like, "damn, you can't smoke anywhere else if you're a smoker indoors but a bar."[/quote]
my feelings are clear. there are only 2 options here. give the bar owner a CHOICE or FORCE him to make it smoke free. the great fallacy is that people always assume that if given the choice, then that means ALL bars are smoky. and that's not true. if you want a smoke-free bar, then as a bar owner you have that right. if you want to cater to smokers and make them feel welcome, then that too should be your right.

if you're a HOMEOWNER and you smoke, should the government have the right to tell you what to do IN YOUR OWN HOME THAT YOU OWN? if you believe this, then you're for smoking bans. if you're against this, then you should be for choice.

[quote="Marz"]Also, if I own a bar, restaurant, etc. Who is govt to dictate to me what type of customers I should have?? If I want to have smokers, thats my right.[/quote]
there's your answer. thank you and have a nice day.

this is different than smoking at the workplace. at the workplace, you can't just "up and leave" a job like you can when you go bar or go to a restaurant. you can't just "jump off the plane" if someone lights up on an airplane, hence why it's a good idea that smoking is banned on flights.

but a restaurant should have the right to a "smoking" or "non-smoking" section. a hotel should have the right to a "smoking" or "non-smoking" room. if that new starbucks on 86th st wants to shoot themselves in the foot and allow smoking, they should have that right, for i can simply go to the one right across the street. Twisted Evil (i'm sure my city isn't the only one where there's a spot in which you have one starbucks' right across the street from another one).

and the same rights should be afforded to bars and pool halls. for example, a popular pool hall in my city, called chalkies, has always been smoke-free. that's the owners choice. but i'm sure there are others that allow smoking.

i don't believe you should FORCE non-smoking on bars. just my opinion. and this is coming from someone who can't stand cigarette smoke.

if the government is so against smoking, and concerned about our health and the health of children, then why don't they ban the sale of cigarettes outright? oh that's right, silly me, they make a ton of money off the TAXES...

--
bodom
Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:39 am View user's profile Find all posts by bodom Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
LilMsSassyRed

Joined06 Mar 2002
Posts614
LocationNunya!!!!!
Bank0
Bones58.00 Bones

Post Reply with quote
I don't smoke so my opinion about this won't matter. I'd preview not to be around smokers. So I'm all for them banning it.
Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:15 am View user's profile Find all posts by LilMsSassyRed Send private message Yahoo Messenger
SuggahB

Joined01 May 2003
Posts1328
LocationChicago
Bank0
Bones6928.96 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[color=red]I'm a smoker who is totally against the bans for the same reasons most of you are. It's wrong for the gubment (be it local, state, federal) to tell you as a business owner what to allow in your establishment. I don't have a problem with the restrictions in office buildings, airports, etc. & I try to be respectful of non-smokers in general, but if a bar/resturant allows smoking & you have issues with that, take yo ass somewhere else. It's that simple. And stay out of my face with your hmphs & rolling eyes when I'm outside. I'm not the one standing directly in front of the entrance. I'm waaaaaaaaay over there by the curb.

IMO, the bans will hurt bar & resturant owners (only for a short period of time) because their smoking patrons will go elsewhere or stay at home. If anything, if the establishment provides good service, excellent food, & a cool atmosphere, non-smokers will be more than happy to spend their hard earned money there. [/color]
Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:57 am View user's profile Find all posts by SuggahB Send private message
SHADOW

Joined19 Jan 2002
Posts8059
LocationThe Shadows, were there's are no imperfect Shadows
Bank4294967295
Bones10655.46 Bones

Post Reply with quote
WE all know how some liberals feel about smoking?

But it no different, then abortion?

The goverment should keep it hands off private enterprize, And personal
habits of folks.
You pay for your medical care, just like those folks who also indugle in risky behavior.

Why are some folks so stupid?

Most folks who eat out know full well, that bars have smoking in them. Yet' they get all dressed up and march they azz right down to the local bar, that serve food, and expect eveyone in the bar to stop smoking so they can enjoy their meals.

No one has the right to march their butts in to any one's business, and tell them how to conduct business. stay the hell out of business, you don't agree with? How hard is that?

Folks' want rules that, always affect the other guy.

Let's see how folks would react, if the goverment,
took away, all sugar, coffee, and banned all music?

If you want to see screaming in the streets, take away the 'Liberals latte's.
Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:10 am View user's profile Find all posts by SHADOW Send private message Send e-mail
bodom

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts10653
LocationINDIANAPOLIS
Bank4294967295
Bones999999999.99 Bones
Game Trophies:  4
Hall Of Fame Member

Post Reply with quote
[quote="SHADOW"]WE all know how some liberals feel about smoking?

But it no different, then abortion?[/quote]
i feel that same about abortion. rather than NO for EVERYONE, i believe people should have that choice. and that doesn't mean it's MY choice, but rather what freedoms others should have. i hate it when i tell certain folks that "i'm pro-choice" and the first thing out of their mouths is, "why would you choose to kill your own baby?". I, personally, wouldn't choose to abort my child (because that's my CHOICE), but if that's someone else's choice, then whom am i to tell them what to do?

same thing with the smoking. i CHOOSE not to smoke, but business owners should be able to choose whether they want a smoking establishment, a non-smoking establishment, or to have a designated smoking area.

if more people would spend more time on THEMSELVES instead of worrying about what OTHERS do, this world would be a better place. take care of your own shit first...

[quote="SHADOW"]If you want to see screaming in the streets, take away the 'Liberals latte's.[/quote]
but you seem to be taking a very liberal view regarding smoking...

--
bodom
Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:57 am View user's profile Find all posts by bodom Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
SHADOW

Joined19 Jan 2002
Posts8059
LocationThe Shadows, were there's are no imperfect Shadows
Bank4294967295
Bones10655.46 Bones

Post Reply with quote
>>>>but you seem to be taking a very liberal view regarding smoking...

Yes This is true?

SMoking is every ones choice. You should be a able to light up and kill your self, if you choose.

I agree with a lot of Liberal views, WHere I have a problem, is when these views cross over into lunacy? All common sense and logic goes out the window.

THis is why so much controversy' is abound on this earth. Folks just won't mind their own business. They love goverment control when it controls other folks lives.

Emps>>> smoking, VS Home land security, Raising our kids VS Obesity,
abortion VS Land control.

>>>'GEt you some Business' >>ZZ Hill<<<<
Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:59 am View user's profile Find all posts by SHADOW Send private message Send e-mail
SophiaMoon

Joined05 Feb 2003
Posts5297
LocationWelcome to my world
Bank0
Bones3.70 Bones

Post Reply with quote
I think its the business owner's choice. The thing is that the owner has to decided if allowing smoking will cost business and in this day and age I think it does.
Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:02 pm View user's profile Find all posts by SophiaMoon Send private message
bb74

Joined14 Nov 2002
Posts64999
LocationDon't Worry About It
Bank4294967295
Bones127358.74 Bones

Post Reply with quote
Business owner's choice...and my choice whether I want to patronize establishments that allow smoking. Most restaurants' smoking & non-smoking areas are far enough apart where smoke doesn't waft over to where I am - that's all I care about.
Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:04 pm View user's profile Find all posts by bb74 Send private message

Reply to topic    Afrocentric Online Forum Index » Da Corner All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: