Forum IndexRegisterGamesSearchFAQBankMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
"Smoking bans" in public places, how do you feel
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Reply to topic    Afrocentric Online Forum Index » Da Corner View previous topic
View next topic

"Smoking bans" in public places, how do you feel

Smoking bans in restaurants, bars, etc
Fuk dem, unless it's trees then I'm all for it
14%
 14%  [ 3 ]
I'on curr bout dem
14%
 14%  [ 3 ]
The business owners choice
52%
 52%  [ 11 ]
Only if I'm allowed to smoke with Bobbby Brown should it be legal
19%
 19%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 21

Omega Phoenix

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts28103
LocationIn the wilderness, being a Prophet of Rage
Bank4294967295
Bones48177.28 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="sierraqueen"]I'm all for it.
It's already banned in Mo' county.

I hate dealing w/smoke when in a restaurant 'cause it drifts to the n/s section.[/quote]

Then why not (a) complain to the manager about sitting you in a better section, or (b) just not patronize said restaraunt?
Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:26 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Omega Phoenix Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Kalibane

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts8630
Bank4294967295
Bones999999999.99 Bones
Game Trophies:  3
Hall Of Fame Member

Post Reply with quote
because PM ... that would be inconvenient.
Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:28 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Kalibane Send private message
bella

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts25155
LocationSitting on the edge of insanity...
Bank0
Bones20518.48 Bones

Post Reply with quote
It should be up to the business owner, and it's up to me if I choose to shop there.
Personally I like smoke free establishments, I'm more likely to be a repeat customer if it's smoke free.
Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:28 pm View user's profile Find all posts by bella Send private message Send e-mail
sierraqueen

Joined01 Mar 2002
Posts3204
Bank0
Bones6650.82 Bones

Post Reply with quote
B/c I don't want to have to sacrifice a place I lk to eat.

Perhaps I'm selfish, but why can't smoker take their nasty habit elsewhere?

I'm sick of it, and a good portion of those bastards litter; got cigarette butts everywhere, especially on school campuses.\

'Memba that ad "[size=18]Mind if I smoke? Care if I die[/size]?"
Second hand smoke is still deadly w/consistent intake. Take dat shyt outside.

Oh, and whether or not one moves to another section, the air is still permeated w/all those fumes.
Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:31 pm View user's profile Find all posts by sierraqueen Send private message
delta84

Joined21 Nov 2002
Posts29053
Locationhigh school hell
Bank4294967295
Bones29798.51 Bones

Post Reply with quote
But how do you escape an open cruise ship during dining hours? I was sitting there eating BEFORE the lady and her friend walked up, and they politely sat down and lit up. Now mind you, we were on the outside deck, but the bar was only a few feet away, so why they chose to sit down at the table next to me and smoke I'll never know.

They apologized after hearing me gag and cough, and they moved to the bar afterward, but their apology was only contingent upon the fact that I was eating, otherwise I believe they would have not tried to move.
Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:35 pm View user's profile Find all posts by delta84 Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
BobbyDigital

Joined03 Aug 2002
Posts7583
LocationBlack Hollywood
Bank0
Bones21765.78 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="Marz"]I know this is tough for you but try to have a serious conversation for a change.[/quote]

[b]On a serious note, I did try before to have serious conversations with folks, but when they resort to childness name calling primarily because my view is different from theirs, then come off like I'm supposed to apologize for MY OPINION... then I can't take or discuss the topic seriously. Folks should just make their point and let their arguement speak for itself instead of trying to put the person they disagree with down with insults.[/b]

[quote]Get past the propoganda you've been told..First it was said that smoking was good for you (if you could believe that but your'e the type that believes common perceptions so who's to say if you were born in the 40's or 50's that you would have probably been a smoker)[/quote]

[b]Well I was born in the 70's and pretty much in an environment with family members that smoked and suffered the consequences. Yeah I heard the propoganda... seen the commericals... and the government reports about smoking not being addictive. But in the end, I chose not to smoke.[/b]

[quote]And my having a 1 year old enforces that personal bias that I can't get past

[b]DO please explain to me WHY you'd have a 1 year in an environment that would jeopardize her health?? We're not talking about a trip to the clinic, we're talking about a restaurant or a BAR. If you're that crazy about the food, then get a take out. Try again dude, that was real weak.[/b][/quote]

[b]In my first post I clearly stated that if a restaurant I went to with the family sat me in a area that exposed us to the smell or cigarette smoke then I would just ask to be seated somewhere else or just go to another restaurtant. I'm talking about a trip to a restaurant or to a restaurant that has a bar (not just a plain bar).[/b]

[quote]But you did touch on something regarding cashing in and thats what I'm trying to get through. Why all of a sudden are people TRUSTING the governement to do right by them??[/quote]

[b]I don't think it's a matter of people trusting the government. Cigarettes and alcohol came on the scene, the government primarily promoted it by sitting back and doing nothing to speak of the dangers while collecting and raising the taxes on the product. Eventually people got a little smart and saw the shit hole they dug and now they want the government to fix it.

Amazing what politicians will do when their statistics and focus polls says that smokers are less likely to vote than non-smokers.[/b]
Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:35 pm View user's profile Find all posts by BobbyDigital Send private message Yahoo Messenger
sierraqueen

Joined01 Mar 2002
Posts3204
Bank0
Bones6650.82 Bones

Post Reply with quote
LOL @ Delta's post.

Yeah, when ppl. sit next to us and just start smoking, we act the fool.

We gag and cough uncontrollably, and make obnoxious comments about enjoying our lives and not wanting them shortened. It always makes them squirm and move.

If not, we just ask them to, or invade their space somehow.
Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:41 pm View user's profile Find all posts by sierraqueen Send private message
delta84

Joined21 Nov 2002
Posts29053
Locationhigh school hell
Bank4294967295
Bones29798.51 Bones

Post Reply with quote
SQ...thing is me and mine have Asthma, so we weren't joking nor taking it to an extreme without reason. Laughing I still say she wouldn't have moved if we weren't eating though. Confused
Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:42 pm View user's profile Find all posts by delta84 Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
BobbyDigital

Joined03 Aug 2002
Posts7583
LocationBlack Hollywood
Bank0
Bones21765.78 Bones

Post Reply with quote
Crying or Very sad I've never been on a cruise...

Okay... sad moment done. Carry on.
Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:45 pm View user's profile Find all posts by BobbyDigital Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Omega Phoenix

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts28103
Bank4294967295
Bones48177.28 Bones

Post Reply with quote
Just out of curiosity, how are/will these bans be enforced? Is the gubmint gonna send in a secret spy, to check on each and every establishment? Or will they rely on the kindness of anti-smoking narcs, to drop dimes, nickels, and quarters on the places that violate the bans?

And would this mean that the cop who WOULD'VE been arresting a gang member or a rapist will get tied up with Marlboro Man duty?
Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:47 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Omega Phoenix Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Kalibane

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts8630
Bank4294967295
Bones999999999.99 Bones
Hall Of Fame Member

Post Reply with quote
I'm sure the state/municipal governments could fine and/or shut down the establishment in the same way they can for health code violations.
Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:51 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Kalibane Send private message
Omega Phoenix

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts28103
Bank4294967295
Bones48177.28 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="Kalibane"]I'm sure the state/municipal governments could fine and/or shut down the establishment in the same way they can for health code violations.[/quote]

Yeah, that makes sense. I can see that.
Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:52 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Omega Phoenix Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
delta84

Joined21 Nov 2002
Posts29053
Locationhigh school hell
Bank4294967295
Bones29798.51 Bones

Post Reply with quote
He will only be doing Malboro Man duty in GA....takes a big man to pull over alla dem cars with smoking moms and kiddies in the back seat! Rolling Eyes
Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:53 pm View user's profile Find all posts by delta84 Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Marz

Joined10 Jul 2003
Posts30659
Bank4294967295
Bones546243.93 Bones

Post Reply with quote
Chez, I don't recall calling you a name previously but if you're that sensitive then you truly have no business calling yourself a man let alone stating an opinion in a public forum that others may agree or disagree with. If I called you a name (don't feel like looking) surely it was tongue and cheek.

That being said you amongst others can't be this blind. The battle isn't over smokers. It's over govt dictating what can and can't be done to a business owner establishment.

Selfish you and Sierra say?? Grow up seriously, you can't always have your way. And again if you both thing not patronizing somewhere is such a sacrifice then you both obvously have mixed up priorities.

Now use the bow to violin that.
Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:53 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Marz Send private message Send e-mail
BobbyDigital

Joined03 Aug 2002
Posts7583
LocationBlack Hollywood
Bank0
Bones21765.78 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="Marz"]Chez, I don't recall calling you a name previously but if you're that sensitive then you truly have no business calling yourself a man let alone stating an opinion in a public forum that others may agree or disagree with. If I called you a name (don't feel like looking) surely it was tongue and cheek.

That being said you amongst others can't be this blind. The battle isn't over smokers. It's over govt dictating what can and can't be done to a business owner establishment.

Selfish you and Sierra say?? Grow up seriously, you can't always have your way. And again if you both thing not patronizing somewhere is such a sacrifice then you both obvously have mixed up priorities.

Now use the bow to violin that.[/quote]

[b]Marz,

If this was a thread about government dictating, then that should have been the title of the thread. My initial response was to the topic of the thread "Smoking Bans". If a place I live at has them, then it really don't matter to me because I don't smoke. If I did smoke, I probably be arguing against smoking bans.

Who said anything about being selfish... must have been sierra.

My not patronizing a place of business for what ever reason is primarily a choice of preference, not a sacrafice or fulfilling a duty to some smoke-free alliance.

I don't leave a restaurant that smells like smoke hoping that they lose business and have to close shop thus carrying on the hope of a smoke free world. I leave because I don't like the smell of cigarette smoke and prefer to eat a meal without being disgusted by it.

[/b]
Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:13 pm View user's profile Find all posts by BobbyDigital Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Marz

Joined10 Jul 2003
Posts30659
Bank4294967295
Bones546243.93 Bones

Post Reply with quote
You bypassing the point either illustrates how oblivious to what the global issue is or the fact you just want to harp down that you don't like smoke. Wupdee.

The question remains, why would anyone want to patronize an establishment that they feel uncomfortable in when it's obvious they could either get a take out and since businesses haven't just become smoking establishments. It's OBVIOUS that the "I like the atmosphere" answer wouldn't qualify.

Now that we're past that point, who the hell are YOU to tell ME as a rivate business owner what I can and can't have in my establishment thats legal??
Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:20 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Marz Send private message Send e-mail
Kalibane

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts8630
Bank4294967295
Bones999999999.99 Bones
Hall Of Fame Member

Post Reply with quote
Now you're back peddling Chez. You said if a smoking referendum appeared on the ballot that you would cast your vote to ban it. You didn't merely state that you don't patronize smoking establishments. In addition the "It doesn't matter because it doesn't affect me" philosophy is extremly short sighted. You need to look at the big picture.
Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:31 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Kalibane Send private message
Marz

Joined10 Jul 2003
Posts30659
Bank4294967295
Bones546243.93 Bones

Post Reply with quote
I didn't see this..

, then that should have been the title of the thread

So what you're saying Chez is that the content or the discussion of the thread doesn't matter, only the title is of importance right??

Rather than say "my personal preference is yadda yadda". You needed me to hand hold you to the pond of the real issue?
Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:38 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Marz Send private message Send e-mail
BobbyDigital

Joined03 Aug 2002
Posts7583
LocationBlack Hollywood
Bank0
Bones21765.78 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="Marz"]You bypassing the point either illustrates how oblivious to what the global issue is or the fact you just want to harp down that you don't like smoke. Wupdee.

The question remains, why would anyone want to patronize an establishment that they feel uncomfortable in when it's obvious they could either get a take out and since businesses haven't just become smoking establishments. It's OBVIOUS that the "I like the atmosphere" answer wouldn't qualify.[/quote]

[b]The question that remains is a rhetorical one. Better yet... I just don't understand what it is that you're asking.[/b]

[quote]Now that we're past that point, who the hell are YOU to tell ME as a private business owner what I can and can't have in my establishment thats legal??[/quote]

[b]I'm a customer. And if that private business doesn't meet my requirements I'll take my business and money somewhere else. And that applies to all businesses, not just restaurants.[/b]
Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:49 pm View user's profile Find all posts by BobbyDigital Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Celestial

Joined06 Apr 2002
Posts3107
LocationLos Angeles, CA
Bank0
Bones13210.90 Bones

Post Reply with quote
I don't personally think I should have to stay home because y'all want to kill yourselves, but that has nothing to do with this really.

You can't just say "people who don't like smoke shouldn't go there". It's also an issue of the people who WORK there. Here's my list again: waitresses, busboys, dishwashers, janitors, delivery workers, postal workers, bartenders and the people who respond to emergencies should not have to walk into a smokey establishment and risk health issues to do their jobs.

So, if Smoker A has a heart attack in a restaurant where the owner has decided that smoking is allowed do you really want to take the "if you don't like smoke don't go there attitude"? Well, you flop around like a fish while the dispatcher finds a ambulance who doesn't mind second hand smoke.
Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:50 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Celestial Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Reply to topic    Afrocentric Online Forum Index » Da Corner All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: