Forum IndexRegisterGamesSearchFAQBankMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
MOVIE RECOMMENDATIONS!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next

Reply to topic    Afrocentric Online Forum Index » Celebrity Gossip View previous topic
View next topic

MOVIE RECOMMENDATIONS!
Bootylicious

Joined14 Jun 2005
Posts8527
LocationYour Computer Screen!
Bank0
Bones95605.42 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="juju"]Oh great Tu. We saw it at E Street Theatre. [b]All the shows were sold out.[/b] Who says black people don't go out and support good black films? Puh-leeze![/quote]
Same in my neck of the woods. I saw the movie last night. I really enjoyed it.

I sure as hell wouldn't have sold my [b]HOME[/b] to make a movie.
Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:30 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Bootylicious Send private message
BishopTuTu

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts43669
LocationMD
Bank4294967295
Bones86572.28 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote][b]The Next Three Days[/b]
When his wife is sent to jail on murder charges she fervently denies, college professor John Brennan comes up with a meticulous plan for the ultimate prison escape -- even though he's never committed a crime in his life.

Cast:
Russell Crowe, Elizabeth Banks, Brian Dennehy, Lennie James, Olivia Wilde, Ty Simpkins, Helen Carey, Liam Neeson, Jason Beghe, Aisha Hinds, Allan Steele, RZA, Daniel Stern

[img]http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMjAzMjk4NjI4M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjQ4OTEwNA@@._V1._SY317_.jpg[/img][/quote]

Good movie. Its long but it was worth it. Crowe gives a great performance as usual. I like how they made you wait to learn the story behind the charges. Check it out.

[quote][b]Apollo 18[/b]

If you buy in to official statements, Apollo 17 was NASA's last manned mission to the moon. But what if found footage of a secret Apollo mission that had taken place the following year could prove otherwise -- and explain why we haven't gone back?

Cast:
Warren Christie, Ryan Robbins, Ali Liebert, Lloyd Owen, Andrew Airlie

[img]http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTk5MTk3OTk3OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzg4MzgxNg@@._V1._SY317_.jpg[/img][/quote]

This wasn't what I expected it to be and I enjoyed it. I won't give anything away but I loved the reveal.

Anyone else watching any good movies? I need some movie suggestions.
Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:37 am View user's profile Find all posts by BishopTuTu Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Bootylicious

Joined14 Jun 2005
Posts8527
Bank0
Bones95605.42 Bones

Post Reply with quote
My brother turned me on to these two movies:

The Boondock Saints (1999)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0144117/

The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day (2009)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1300851/

Watched both over the weekend. I really enjoyed them. Liked the 2nd one better.
What I found interesting was in the first part, everyone was using "beepers." Come part II, everyone had cell phones. Showed how technology improved within 10 years. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:38 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Bootylicious Send private message
MHC

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts22860
LocationSomewhere quietly gaining power...
Bank4294967295
Bones999999999.99 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[color=darkred]I watched both those movies at some point last year. That was a fun afternoon! [/color] Laughing Laughing Laughing
Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:21 pm View user's profile Find all posts by MHC Send private message
cornbread

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts7831
Locationhardtime, MS
Bank0
Bones10937.74 Bones

Post Reply with quote
went to try to see Pariah yesterday at the E street theatre and made the mistake of driving downtown... i may have been able to find a free Parking space except there was a matinee Caps game, and I sho wasn't gonna pay $11 for parking (that with a validation!!!).... i'll try again
Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:41 pm View user's profile Find all posts by cornbread Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
MHC

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts22860
Bank4294967295
Bones999999999.99 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="cornbread"]went to try to see Pariah yesterday at the E street theatre and made the mistake of driving downtown... i may have been able to find a free Parking space except there was a matinee Caps game, and I sho wasn't gonna pay $11 for parking (that with a validation!!!).... i'll try again[/quote]

[color=darkred]Wouldn't mind seeing it just because. It sounds interesting...but it's only at one screen in Atlanta...Midtown Arts Cinema. No thanks. Could they at least carry it at the Tara? I'll see it on DVD.[/color]
Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:56 pm View user's profile Find all posts by MHC Send private message
juju

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts22914
LocationNeverland Valley Ranch
Bank4294967295
Bones30244.24 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="cornbread"]went to try to see Pariah yesterday at the E street theatre and made the mistake of driving downtown... i may have been able to find a free Parking space except there was a matinee Caps game, and I sho wasn't gonna pay $11 for parking (that with a validation!!!).... i'll try again[/quote]
corn. smh. You know dag on well the likelihood of you finding a space downtown is like being struck by lightening. why didn't you just park in the garage? That's what I did.
Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:49 pm View user's profile Find all posts by juju Send private message
cornbread

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts7831
Locationhardtime, MS
Bank0
Bones10937.74 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="juju"][quote="cornbread"]went to try to see Pariah yesterday at the E street theatre and made the mistake of driving downtown... i may have been able to find a free Parking space except there was a matinee Caps game, and I sho wasn't gonna pay $11 for parking (that with a validation!!!).... i'll try again[/quote]
corn. smh. You know dag on well the likelihood of you finding a space downtown is like being struck by lightening. why didn't you just park in the garage? That's what I did.[/quote]

hi joobs, LOL@!! funds were tight and I wasn't paying $11 at the garage around the corner... i remember when they used to validate for parking in that lot!!! I think there was one down the street some for about $5... I normally would ride the subway if I'm just going to the movie, but I had to go somewhere else afterwards... if it wasn't for that CAPS hockey game, and the OCCUPY DC stuff, I'm sure I could have found a parking spot on a Saturday...

I'll have to catch it on DvD..
Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:52 pm View user's profile Find all posts by cornbread Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
cornbread

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts7831
Locationhardtime, MS
Bank0
Bones10937.74 Bones

Post Reply with quote
So after I left out from seeing the Hunger Games to find out what all the excitement was all about and discovered it was basically Survivor, meets the Amazing Race, meets Big Brother meets Death Race 2000, I "unintentionally" went in another movie called "We The Party" [img]http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTQxNTAzNzgzNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjU0Njc0Nw@@._V1._SY317_.jpg[/img]..... it was a coming of Age story written and produced by Mario Van Pepples who was a child actor in his father's Classic Sweet Sweetback's Bad Ass Song and stars his son Mandela and features some of his other children.... Its the story of mostly we to do black kids growing up in the Hills of LA California.... I found the movie refreshing and entertaining, and I haven't been in high school in a LONG time.... it's no classic like sweetback, but I think its fun, positive, and touch on modern issues with a modern style.... i was disappointed that the theater was practically empty, and either further disappointed that I had not heard or seen any ADVERTISEMENT for this movie
Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:11 pm View user's profile Find all posts by cornbread Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
MHC

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts22860
Bank4294967295
Bones999999999.99 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[color=darkred]This is my first time hearing about this movie. Hopefully we'll get a chance to see this onscreen in ATL. Looks very interesting. I know that my friends from NOLA may not be able to relate to this one, but for those of us from "down the bayou", we may find some ingredients from home.

But um...somebody needs to be brought up on charges in regards to this child's name. Rolling Eyes [/color]

[img]http://l1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/lnY9IiP6wcGo7xLZi0vVkQ--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9aW5zZXQ7aD00MjA7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ap_webfeeds/1eb1ed25d1569111130f6a70670073cc.jpg[/img]

[size=18]Louisiana-shot Cannes winner premieres in N.O.[/size]

[url]http://news.yahoo.com/louisiana-shot-cannes-winner-premieres-n-o-104023241.html[/url]

NEW ORLEANS (AP) Unlike a lot of movies shot in Louisiana, "Beasts of the Southern Wild" couldn't have been made anywhere else.

Louisiana natives and the state's bayous and marshes tell the fictional tale of a 6-year-old girl named Hushpuppy and her struggle for survival in the southern Delta with her ailing father as a storm approaches.

The film is gripping audiences around the globe for its portrayal of the spirit and resiliency of the people of south Louisiana through the fictional tale of a motherless young girl trying to hold on to her place in the world that place being a small, tightly-knit shantytown on the bayou just beyond the government's levee protection system. Her world is filled with wild animals, both real and imaginary.

"Beasts of the Southern Wild" was shot in southern Terrebonne Parish and Isle de Jean Charles, a real bayou community that is gradually eroding away because it has no levees to protect it. But the film's makers say it isn't a social issue movie.

"It's really about what it's like to lose the thing that made you," said director Benh Zeitlin, a native New Yorker and one of only a handful of people affiliated with "Beasts of the Southern Wild" not from Louisiana. "The film is inspired by culture and events in Louisiana but we wanted to elevate it to make it universal. It's about where you come from. Your land is your parent, and there are all these emotional connections that stem from where you come from."

"Beasts of the Southern Wild" won the grand jury prize in the U.S. dramatic competition at the Sundance Independent Film Festival as well as its cinematography award. At France's Cannes Film Festival in May, where many U.S. films were shut out, Louisiana's indie darling won the Camera d'Or for best first film.

Zeitlin said the geography of the film didn't even exist until he found the community of Pointe-aux-Chenes and just beyond it Isle de Jean Charles the last inhabited speck of land at the end of a winding highway south of Houma, La.

"I started driving to the end of all these south Louisiana roads, and when I drove to the end of this one, I knew I had found the place that would be the setting of this film," Zeitlin said.

Finding the right actors to play the leads took more searching. Producers went on a months-long casting quest for the child who would play Hushpuppy. It included auditions of nearly 4,000 girls in countless schools and churches across south Louisiana.

They found 5-year-old Quvenzhane (Kuh-VAHN-zuh-nay) Wallis of Houma, La., who was 6 at the time the movie was filmed in 2010. Nazie (NAY-zee), as she likes to be called, had a quality producers couldn't resist: "It's her eyes. There's something in her eyes that gives her poise, maturity, depth and wisdom beyond her years," Zeitlin said.

Now 8, Nazie walked the red carpet Monday evening at the New Orleans premiere of "Beasts" in a bright blue dress, silver slippers and a big smile as she talked to reporters and posed for pictures.

Her hair straightened and bangs pulled in a tight braid above her forehead, Nazie bore little resemblance to the pants-wearing bushy-haired wild child she portrays in "Beasts."

Also walking the carpet was New Orleans native Dwight Henry, who was hand-picked for the role of Hushpuppy's father, Wink, after producers discovered him in the Buttermilk Drop Bakery he runs in New Orleans.

"We went there every morning for grits and doughnuts, and we got to know him," Zeitlin said. "He talked about his life, things he had been through, and parts of his life got written into the film. At some point, we realized he was the one we wanted for this film."

Henry turned them down three times.

"I'm glad I did it, but at the time, I was reluctant to do it, to sacrifice my business that I had worked so hard to open for a chance at a possible movie career," said Henry.

Now Henry and Nazie say they are both looking forward to more film work. Henry has partners helping out at the bakery while he works on his film career, including a part in "Twelve Years a Slave," about a New Yorker who was captured in 1841 and enslaved in Louisiana. The film, directed by Steve McQueen, will also star actors Brad Pitt and Michael Fassbender.

Zeitlin said his affinity for New Orleans grew out of events surrounding Hurricane Katrina and through a short film he had been working on at the time the hurricane struck called "Glory at Sea," which all led to the making of "Beasts of the Southern Wild."

The Fox Searchlight film opens in select theaters, starting with showings in Los Angeles and New York on Wednesday and then New Orleans-area theaters July 4.

[img]http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/I0Odi_kLh.Qmi.x.yoxyDw--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9aW5zZXQ7aD00MjA7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ap_webfeeds/8e7ce7fdd1559111130f6a7067007bab.jpg[/img]
[img]http://l1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/KojD09EAz.aBs2ZSEyxs0Q--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9aW5zZXQ7aD01NTY7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ap_webfeeds/9d56f70ed1ea9411130f6a706700ff04.jpg[/img]
[color=darkred]Quvenzhane Wallis[/color]
[img]http://l1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/jlLWcdH4xXSv165AtNGq0A--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9aW5zZXQ7aD00MjA7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ap_webfeeds/ecc95328d1f69411130f6a7067008afb.jpg[/img]
[color=darkred]Director Benh Zeitlin, left, with actors Quvenzhane Wallis and Dwight Henry[/color]
Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:55 pm View user's profile Find all posts by MHC Send private message
shadow777

Joined15 Jul 2007
Posts4101
LocationThe Dark Shadows
Bank0
Bones25289.86 Bones

Post Reply with quote
ok i didn't check here first.. DAmm You Mr HardCandy

So before he post something else before me.

The Magic of Belle Isle.. and i know Marz is going to have a field day with this one?

An alcoholic novelist (Morgan Freeman) attempts to recapture his creativity by renting a cabin on a small island, and he strikes up a tender friendship with the single mother (Virginia Madsen) who lives next door in this bittersweet comedy-drama from director Rob Reiner. ~ Jason Buchanan, Rovi

Last edited by shadow777 on Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:34 am View user's profile Find all posts by shadow777 Send private message Send e-mail
hope_springs

Joined19 Jan 2002
Posts10185
Locationend zone
Bank4294967295
Bones24350.16 Bones
Game Trophies:  1
Hall Of Fame Member

Post Reply with quote
I saw Beasts in New Orleans during Essence. I'm still thinking about the movie. It was so original and captivating. The two unknown leads (Hushpuppy and Wink) have never acted before and gave perfromances that rival the best actors of our time. Please see it!
Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:04 pm View user's profile Find all posts by hope_springs Send private message
noirprncess

Joined27 Sep 2005
Posts18132
LocationNorthern NJ
Bank4294967295
Bones29117.66 Bones

Post Reply with quote
Don't mess with Antonio Banderas. He was "mad" in this one:

[img]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41%2Bde38H8%2BL._SX500_.jpg[/img]

Great for foreign movie lovers.
Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:20 pm View user's profile Find all posts by noirprncess Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Bootylicious

Joined14 Jun 2005
Posts8527
Bank0
Bones95605.42 Bones

Post Reply with quote
@noirprncess

I actually downloaded this movie a couple of weeks ago based on your recommendation. Somehow the .srt file (language file) did not burn w/the rest of the movie. I didn't check to make sure it was inside the same folder as the movie file So I trashed it since I had already deleted the movie file.

I ran across the movie again last week but this time the subtitles were hard coded into the movie. Haven't watched it yet.
Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:26 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Bootylicious Send private message
noirprncess

Joined27 Sep 2005
Posts18132
LocationNorthern NJ
Bank4294967295
Bones29117.66 Bones

Post Reply with quote
@Bootylicious

If you have FiOS it's available on demand.
Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:25 pm View user's profile Find all posts by noirprncess Send private message Yahoo Messenger
ingenue

Joined04 Apr 2005
Posts41761
Bank4294967295
Bones68364.93 Bones

Post Reply with quote
I missed Beasts and Red Hook Summer (life got in the way) in theaters. I have to wait for them to hit dvd.

[img]http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMjMxNjU0ODU5Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjI4MzAyOA@@._V1._SY317_.jpg[/img]

End Of Watch is a must see. I had no idea it was considered an Indie. Had me SCREWED.UP. I didn't sleep for 2 nights. Damned Mexican Cartel had me SHOOK.

Laughing
Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:26 pm View user's profile Find all posts by ingenue Send private message
MHC

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts22860
Bank4294967295
Bones999999999.99 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[color=darkred]I can't believe you missed Beasts. Get your hands on it first chance you get.

I'm very interested in your reaction to both the technical and artistic message of the film. I have no doubts you'll be honest.[/color]
Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:55 am View user's profile Find all posts by MHC Send private message
ingenue

Joined04 Apr 2005
Posts41761
Bank4294967295
Bones68364.93 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="MrHardcandy"][color=darkred]I can't believe you missed Beasts. Get your hands on it first chance you get.

I'm very interested in your reaction to both the technical and artistic message of the film. I have no doubts you'll be honest.[/color][/quote]

Hardcandy I'm so mad... we went to see it and it had been snatched down the day before! Mad Mad Mad It kept getting too late after working all day and doing a billion things and I kept pushing the timeline...

and we missed it. Evil or Very Mad

I'm always honest about the world of pretend (movies and television). It's PRETEND... so its potential brilliance is limited only by YOU and your imagination. So if you muck it up, I'm gonna call you on it. You know what I mean?

[img]http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTQ2NjQ5MzMwMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjczNTAzOA@@._V1._SY317_CR0,0,214,317_.jpg[/img]

I want to know who saw The Master. Now that's some shit I wanna talk about. I'm still wading through my thoughts on it, and I'd love to open up a discussion.
Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:34 am View user's profile Find all posts by ingenue Send private message
MHC

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts22860
Bank4294967295
Bones999999999.99 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[color=darkred]I guess I'll reconsider seeing The Master. I'm not a big PS-H fan, but I keep hearing how "thought provoking" it is.[/color]
Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:53 am View user's profile Find all posts by MHC Send private message
ingenue

Joined04 Apr 2005
Posts41761
Bank4294967295
Bones68364.93 Bones

Post Reply with quote
I'm not sure that it's 'thought provoking' to be honest. That's why I want to talk about it. I haven't quite waded through the muck of it yet.

I'm a huge Phillip Seymour Hoffman fan. That's actually why I went to see it. Joaquin Phoenix is hit and miss and can do too much sometimes (like Kiera Knightley) so I was worried. But he was okay.

I'm just not sure about the movie overall just yet.
Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:27 pm View user's profile Find all posts by ingenue Send private message

Reply to topic    Afrocentric Online Forum Index » Celebrity Gossip All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 18 of 19

Jump to: