Forum IndexRegisterGamesSearchFAQBankMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Women Proposing To Men - Yea or Nay?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Reply to topic    Afrocentric Online Forum Index » Soul II Soul View previous topic
View next topic

Women Proposing To Men - Yea or Nay?
not4uplayer

Joined18 Jan 2002
Posts8112
LocationTexas
Bank4294967295
Bones9779.73 Bones

Post Re: Women Proposing To Men - Yea or Nay? Reply with quote
[quote="bb74"]I was listening to the RPMS today and that was the topic of discussion. A young lady wrote a letter to Russ outlining her situation. She'd been with this man for 2 years and they were committed to each other. She said that they were acting like a married couple, so she asked him to marry her. That was 3 weeks ago and she hadn't gotten a response. There were two trains of thought amongst the staff:

1) She should never have asked him to marry her in the first place. If he wanted to marry her, he would have asked.

2) There was nothing wrong with her asking if she wanted to be married. Women shouldn't only want to be traditional when it's beneficial to them.

The callers weren't evenly split in their opinions - I'd say it was about 60/40 siding with opinion #1. A few of those callers quoted the scripture "a man that findeth a wife findeth a good thing"...okay, yeah. But if the Bible hasn't been the guiding force in your relationship all along, don't pull that out to justify your position for this. Anywho, that's an aside. Which school of thought do you agree with - how do you feel about women proposing to men?[/quote]

I'd have to vote HELL NO!!!! "Acting like a married couple" means absolutely NOTHING, you may be "acting" like his wife but IF he hasn't asked you to be his wife he's NOT wanting to be your husband. CTFUL And she's probably wondering why old boy hasn't said anything, his ass likes the benefits without the real commitment. Women need to stop playing themselves, it doesn't take 2 years for a man to figure out you are the one. Rolling Eyes Razz Arrow
Wed May 21, 2008 1:17 am View user's profile Find all posts by not4uplayer Send private message
NubianStorm

Joined20 Sep 2005
Posts9951
Bank0
Bones30804.00 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote]Which school of thought do you agree with - how do you feel about women proposing to men?[/quote]

[color=darkblue][b]I couldn't do it because I'm traditional in a lot of ways and I'm not altogether convinced that I could be married.

[quote]If you want the relationship to be going in a certain direction, then there should be discussions about that[/quote]

Interesting and timely. I've been dating my bf for only four months and he just posed the "where do you think this relationship is going" question Sunday after dinner. I asked him if he was asking me about the "M" word. He said "Yes." I honestly had not given the idea of marriage too much thought and shut other people down if they brought it up ("when are you and dude going to get married?"). I entertained it once, then spent a weekend with my married cousin & her 4 kids. It was an interesting world. Okay to visit, but would I really want to live there? [/b][/color]
Thu May 22, 2008 4:21 pm View user's profile Find all posts by NubianStorm Send private message Send e-mail
Marz

Joined10 Jul 2003
Posts30659
Bank4294967295
Bones546240.93 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[i]it doesn't take 2 years for a man to figure out you are the one[/i]

Shocked Shocked Shocked

[i]"where do you think this relationship is going" question Sunday after dinner. I asked him if he was asking me about the "M" word. He said "Yes."[/i]

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

For you old schoolers, theres used to be a song called, "HELP IS ON THE WAY", the group slips me but De La Soul used the track in "Hey, how you doing, sorry I can't through, just leave your name and your number and I'll get back to you". Maybe you all don't remember that either but anyways, I'm singing that "HELP IS ON THE WAAAAAY" hook.

Jezuz H Friggin Crist!!! Let me put my cape on to show cats. You wonder why the divorce rate is high. You've lived life for 20+ plus years and in less than two years you're supposed to kNOW if that person is the one are you kidding me?? Only that to be trumped by 4 months?? Damn I understand niggas trying to lock up things(and Nube, nothing personal I'm just using what was said to spawn my commentary) but thats ridiculous.

But then again, people move in with each other playing "house" after two weeks so why should I be surprised. How the heck are you gonna truly know a person even after two years and you've met their families and all?? If that works for some people, thats fine. I generally saying it's not a good guide and time shouldn't be the ONLY gauge granted but its often the one referenced when things are going downhill or bad ('well I got time put into it I'm not just gonna pull out now") Next thing you know you got someone procreating and they've grown past each other but are staying because it's the "good thing to do" (which I don't disagree with to an extent).

Nowadays and flame me if you want, I can't even see a real true benefit in marriage outside of BUILDING WEALTH. Women don't need husbands to take care of them like the old days. Men are obviously having kids out of wedlock so a wife isn't needed. One can still be friends (I would hope) without all the marital ties.

This is taken from another site.

(Why attraction ends after marriage)

[b]Here's why I'll be with my girlfriend tonight and not my wife.[/b]

Two phone calls this afternoon:

1. Me: Hey sweetie, my mom called and she wants the kids to stay over tonight. What do you say I pick up a bottle of wine and we open up the hottub.
[color=blue]Wife: No, John, you know Tuesdays are difficult days. I had carpool this morning and I'm just too tired. . . .
[/color]
2. Me: Hey sugar, you want to get a drink tonight after work?
[color=red]Girlfriend: Why don't we just go to my place? [/color]

That is NOT an exaggeration and explains why theres so much extra curricular stuff going on.
Thu May 22, 2008 5:03 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Marz Send private message Send e-mail
NubianStorm

Joined20 Sep 2005
Posts9951
Bank0
Bones30804.00 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote]I can't even see a real true benefit in marriage [/quote]

[color=darkblue][b]Honestly, I can't either - on its face, the rate of return on the investment type-speaking is negated due to the labor intensive element involved.

I am keeping an open mind on the issue of marriage because I think there's a bigger picture than what my selfish eyes can see.

Marriage may provide opportunities for personal growth, especially in the area of developing strong interpersonal relationships. Marzi, I ain't knocking you - you know I value your big brain - but interpersonally speaking you could benefit from some growth homie.

You lost me on the help is on the way reference...you sposed to be da HELP homie?? LOL! You are so cute.

BTW: Time may not be all that relevant since people say you just KNOW this person is going to be your wife/husband shortly after meeting them...and it seems to work. My relationship is only 4 months old, but we were friends for almost 3 years before we made a committment to be exclusive.[/b][/color]
Thu May 22, 2008 5:50 pm View user's profile Find all posts by NubianStorm Send private message Send e-mail
caliborn

Joined07 Aug 2002
Posts266
Bank4294967295
Bones622.86 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="Marz"]
For you old schoolers, theres used to be a song called, "HELP IS ON THE WAY", the group slips me but De La Soul used the track in "Hey, how you doing, sorry I can't through, just leave your name and your number and I'll get back to you". Maybe you all don't remember that either but anyways, I'm singing that "HELP IS ON THE WAAAAAY" hook.[/quote]

Hey Marz.....the group is called The Whatnauts......i have that song on my Ipod right now Smile
Thu May 22, 2008 8:00 pm View user's profile Find all posts by caliborn Send private message
Marz

Joined10 Jul 2003
Posts30659
Bank4294967295
Bones546240.93 Bones

Post Reply with quote
Good lookin out.
Fri May 23, 2008 2:55 am View user's profile Find all posts by Marz Send private message Send e-mail
MHC

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts22860
LocationSomewhere quietly gaining power...
Bank4294967295
Bones999999999.99 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[color=darkred]Some people don't need long term relationships...some people do...thus the NEED for marriage with a lot of people.

I do agree though...the costs and sacrifices of marriage in this day and age seems to be a bit too steep for the benefits....

...on the surface.[/color]
Fri May 23, 2008 6:26 am View user's profile Find all posts by MHC Send private message
dreadlocks

Joined12 Nov 2002
Posts2350
LocationThe Cream In Between - Queens
Bank0
Bones5621.68 Bones

Post Reply with quote
Any legal ties is a bit too much for me.
Fri May 23, 2008 6:52 pm View user's profile Find all posts by dreadlocks Send private message Visit poster's website
YOLANDA755

Joined28 Sep 2008
Posts58
LocationNEWPORT NEWS,VA
Bank0
Bones121.18 Bones

Post Reply with quote
hell no
Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:04 am View user's profile Find all posts by YOLANDA755 Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
emblem

Joined18 Jan 2010
Posts18
Bank0
Bones90.00 Bones

Post Re: Women Proposing To Men - Yea or Nay? Reply with quote
[quote="bb74"]I was listening to the RPMS today and that was the topic of discussion. A young lady wrote a letter to Russ outlining her situation. She'd been with this man for 2 years and they were committed to each other. She said that they were acting like a married couple, so she asked him to marry her. That was 3 weeks ago and she hadn't gotten a response. There were two trains of thought amongst the staff:

1) She should never have asked him to marry her in the first place. If he wanted to marry her, he would have asked.

2) There was nothing wrong with her asking if she wanted to be married. Women shouldn't only want to be traditional when it's beneficial to them.

The callers weren't evenly split in their opinions - I'd say it was about 60/40 siding with opinion #1. A few of those callers quoted the scripture "a man that findeth a wife findeth a good thing"...okay, yeah. But if the Bible hasn't been the guiding force in your relationship all along, don't pull that out to justify your position for this. Anywho, that's an aside. Which school of thought do you agree with - how do you feel about women proposing to men?[/quote]

I am agree about that when woman like a men she must tell or purpose it didnít matter it all I give it 35/65 because need more awareness in the world.
[url]http://www.welcometoharlem.com[/url]
Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:07 am View user's profile Find all posts by emblem Send private message

Reply to topic    Afrocentric Online Forum Index » Soul II Soul All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: