Forum IndexRegisterGamesSearchFAQBankMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Information Security Certificates: Security + or GSEC

Reply to topic    Afrocentric Online Forum Index » The Matrix View previous topic
View next topic

Information Security Certificates: Security + or GSEC
faceman68

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts6035
Bank0
Bones13682.54 Bones

Post Information Security Certificates: Security + or GSEC Reply with quote
I was thinking of looking into the Information Security area. I have been away from IT for a year, because there have not been many job opportunities lately. Currently I am driving a school bus (no fun). Anyway, I was reading in Computer World magazine about this one person who mentioned about getting into the Information Security arena. So I emailed him about the issue, and he told me about looking into the area, and when it came about getting certifications, he mentioned about getting certifications from SANS. In fact, he stated that when it comes to interviewing, he stated that when it comes to a Security + or SANS Security Essentials (GSEC) he stated the latter, would get you into the door.

What do some of you think?
Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:41 pm View user's profile Find all posts by faceman68 Send private message Send e-mail
DaSmoov1

Joined03 Jul 2002
Posts6552
LocationOhio
Bank0
Bones22979.21 Bones

Post Reply with quote
Hey faceman, just curious... How long does it take to get these certifications ? I'm finishing up my Associate in IT right now through Phoenix (Jan) and I was curious.
Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:18 am View user's profile Find all posts by DaSmoov1 Send private message ICQ Number
faceman68

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts6035
Bank0
Bones13682.54 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="DaSmoov1"]Hey faceman, just curious... How long does it take to get these certifications ? I'm finishing up my Associate in IT right now through Phoenix (Jan) and I was curious.[/quote]

Depends. For me, when getting both my Network + and A+ certifications, it took me much longer than it expected. It should have taken me about two or three months, but things happened where it took me a year to get the certifications. Anyway, it should take you a few months to earn them. What type of certifications are you looking at obtaining?
Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:50 pm View user's profile Find all posts by faceman68 Send private message Send e-mail
DaSmoov1

Joined03 Jul 2002
Posts6552
LocationOhio
Bank0
Bones22979.21 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="faceman68"][quote="DaSmoov1"]Hey faceman, just curious... How long does it take to get these certifications ? I'm finishing up my Associate in IT right now through Phoenix (Jan) and I was curious.[/quote]

Depends. For me, when getting both my Network + and A+ certifications, it took me much longer than it expected. It should have taken me about two or three months, but things happened where it took me a year to get the certifications. Anyway, it should take you a few months to earn them. What type of certifications are you looking at obtaining?[/quote]

Actually, going to UOP for IT right now. Just was asking because of so many certifications out there and I was curious. I'll have my Associates by Feb.
Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:51 pm View user's profile Find all posts by DaSmoov1 Send private message ICQ Number
faceman68

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts6035
Bank0
Bones13682.54 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="DaSmoov1"][quote="faceman68"][quote="DaSmoov1"]Hey faceman, just curious... How long does it take to get these certifications ? I'm finishing up my Associate in IT right now through Phoenix (Jan) and I was curious.[/quote]

Depends. For me, when getting both my Network + and A+ certifications, it took me much longer than it expected. It should have taken me about two or three months, but things happened where it took me a year to get the certifications. Anyway, it should take you a few months to earn them. What type of certifications are you looking at obtaining?[/quote]

Actually, going to UOP for IT right now. Just was asking because of so many certifications out there and I was curious. I'll have my Associates by Feb.[/quote]

Good for you. I wish you luck in obtaining one. I am seriously thinking of going back to school. I do not like the job I am in currently, and I want a job that I am very passionate about, and with decent pay.
Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:32 pm View user's profile Find all posts by faceman68 Send private message Send e-mail
DaSmoov1

Joined03 Jul 2002
Posts6552
LocationOhio
Bank0
Bones22979.21 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="faceman68"]Good for you. I wish you luck in obtaining one. I am seriously thinking of going back to school. I do not like the job I am in currently, and I want a job that I am very passionate about, and with decent pay.[/quote]

What kind of pay are you seeking ? I hear the IT field pays around 80k and up.
Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:42 pm View user's profile Find all posts by DaSmoov1 Send private message ICQ Number
faceman68

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts6035
Bank0
Bones13682.54 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="DaSmoov1"][quote="faceman68"]Good for you. I wish you luck in obtaining one. I am seriously thinking of going back to school. I do not like the job I am in currently, and I want a job that I am very passionate about, and with decent pay.[/quote]

What kind of pay are you seeking ? I hear the IT field pays around 80k and up.[/quote]

Well right now, I have been away from IT for a little over a year. Currently, I have been working as school bus driver, and I just dislike the position. Dealing with some of the kids, and their parents, just takes a toll on you mentally. I am ready to get back out there in the IT world. Smoov, I would love to be making 80k right now, and be living comfortably, but i am willing to settle for 35k, and be content.
Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:48 pm View user's profile Find all posts by faceman68 Send private message Send e-mail
root

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts9348
Bank4294967295
Bones19442.34 Bones

Post Reply with quote
Curious, what type of gigs can you get with these security certs? Do you need networking skills or prior experience to accompany your security training?

I usually suggest folks just getting into IT to initially focus on being able to service a pc and administrate a network. There's always a need for these skills, you can expect to make $50-$60k easily, and the work isnt hard to learn or to do. Plus you can make money on the side fixing your family and friend's PCs.

If you are really feeling froggy, I'd say work towards the microsoft certs. They are hard but they will make you learn in the process.
Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:26 pm View user's profile Find all posts by root Send private message

Reply to topic    Afrocentric Online Forum Index » The Matrix All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: