Forum IndexRegisterGamesSearchFAQBankMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Man-gagement: A ring for men
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Afrocentric Online Forum Index » Soul II Soul View previous topic
View next topic

Man-gagement: A ring for men
Politician

Joined11 Jul 2008
Posts835
LocationCincinnati
Bank4294967295
Bones4621.98 Bones

Post Man-gagement: A ring for men Reply with quote
Fella's would you were an engagement ring? Watch the video:

http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerIndex?id=9060782
Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:56 am View user's profile Find all posts by Politician Send private message Send e-mail
themrs

Joined25 Nov 2007
Posts144
Bank0
Bones952.38 Bones

Post Reply with quote
Um... so do they still wear it after they get the wedding band too? That seems like a bit much wearing two thick bands on one finder, it doesn't work like that wit female engagement rings.

I'm not buying the theory about men wanting diamonds too. They can get diamonds on their band. Hell i dunno someone explain it to me.
Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:11 pm View user's profile Find all posts by themrs Send private message
bb74

Joined14 Nov 2002
Posts64999
LocationDon't Worry About It
Bank4294967295
Bones127358.74 Bones

Post Reply with quote
Laughing Laughing

I wouldn't buy an engagement ring for a man, are you kidding? Laughing
Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:44 pm View user's profile Find all posts by bb74 Send private message
mack

Joined16 Jan 2002
Posts56791
LocationSnotlanta
Bank4294967295
Bones990061542.19 Bones

Post Reply with quote
A mangagement ring should be for a man who is engaged to another MAN
Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:00 am View user's profile Find all posts by mack Send private message AIM Address
kimora

Joined04 Jun 2007
Posts4775
Bank0
Bones15924.04 Bones

Post Reply with quote
I ain't buyin shit for no nigga! Confused
Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:28 am View user's profile Find all posts by kimora Send private message
Marz

Joined10 Jul 2003
Posts30659
Bank4294967295
Bones546243.93 Bones

Post Reply with quote
The advertisement was too long but I can get the gist.

This is directed specifically to Kimora but folks can chime in. It was Kimora that I learned about some 3 months salary (dont' know if thats gross or net btw) rule for what an engagement ring should cost right??

Now how that was determined is another discussion in itself. Also I understand most chics being married is something they've been dreaming about since 5.

But my question is do folks REALLY think thats the best way to spend between $7K-15K? I personally know couples who have spent that much on some bullschit jewelry but still don't own a home. I mean for real people have we gotten that fuck'd up?? I'm just asking
Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:40 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Marz Send private message Send e-mail
Soul Of Baldwin

Joined15 Apr 2002
Posts3002
LocationATL
Bank0
Bones1724.06 Bones

Post Reply with quote
Well, of course, I don't think I'd ever be in the position to buy an engagement ring that costs that much (Wink), but I can understand a female's desire to have a ring that is of substantial quality/cost because of what it "represents". I get that. This would be the one time where "bling" couldn't be too gaudy...but on the other hand, the ring should also be in some type of accord to your lifestyle. And one has to remember it's only jewelry and has nothing to do with the actual relationship...it's not indicative of the dude's level of love for you or how much faith he has in the marriage "surviving" Laughing
Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:46 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Soul Of Baldwin Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Rock Star

Joined16 Nov 2004
Posts19420
Bank0
Bones58532.34 Bones

Post Reply with quote
I don't even want a real ring. I can't stand things on my fingers for extended periods of time and I can't keep up with anything. Like my Mom says, "you'd lose your head if it wasn't attached."

I'll take some diamoniques ... Laughing Laughing Laughing
Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:16 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Rock Star Send private message Send e-mail
MHC

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts22860
LocationSomewhere quietly gaining power...
Bank4294967295
Bones999999999.99 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[color=darkred]Marz...it used to be ONE month's salary. To me, that is self explanatory...it's symbolic of the provision the man provides. It's only in the brrr icey BLING era that it's ballooned up to 3 month's salary.

A quarter's earnings?? GTFOH!!! You spend that on a fucking CAR.[/color]
Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:17 pm View user's profile Find all posts by MHC Send private message
mikethought

Joined18 Jan 2008
Posts2881
Bank0
Bones10174.20 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="MrHardcandy"][color=darkred]Marz...[b]it used to be ONE month's salary[/b]. To me, that is self explanatory...it's symbolic of the provision the man provides. It's only in the brrr icey BLING era that it's ballooned up to 3 month's salary.

A quarter's earnings?? GTFOH!!! You spend that on a fucking CAR.[/color][/quote]

When was that? Seriously, I have always heard 3 months. Even when I was a teen I heard the same thing, 3 months or more.
Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:19 pm View user's profile Find all posts by mikethought Send private message
westphilly37

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts15181
LocationGA Central
Bank4294967295
Bones40261.00 Bones

Post Reply with quote
I'd rather have the down payment on the house. Damn a ring. Laughing
Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:26 pm View user's profile Find all posts by westphilly37 Send private message
MHC

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts22860
LocationSomewhere quietly gaining power...
Bank4294967295
Bones999999999.99 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[color=darkred]Well, I always heard a month's salary growing up. Even current MAINSTREAM myth is 2 months' salary. It's only in BLING culture that 3 months' salary is "ideal".[/color]
Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:55 pm View user's profile Find all posts by MHC Send private message
delta84

Joined21 Nov 2002
Posts29053
Locationhigh school hell
Bank4294967295
Bones29798.51 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="westphilly37"]I'd rather have the down payment on the house. Damn a ring. Laughing[/quote]

Ditto. Laughing Laughing
Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:05 am View user's profile Find all posts by delta84 Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
kimora

Joined04 Jun 2007
Posts4775
Bank0
Bones15924.04 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="Marz"]The advertisement was too long but I can get the gist.

This is directed specifically to Kimora but folks can chime in. It was Kimora that I learned about some 3 months salary (dont' know if thats gross or net btw) rule for what an engagement ring should cost right??

Now how that was determined is another discussion in itself. Also I understand most chics being married is something they've been dreaming about since 5.

But my question is do folks REALLY think thats the best way to spend between $7K-15K? I personally know couples who have spent that much on some bullschit jewelry but still don't own a home. I mean for real people have we gotten that fuck'd up?? I'm just asking[/quote]

If there is going to be an issue and drama over a doggone ring then dude can't afford to get married period........
Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:56 pm View user's profile Find all posts by kimora Send private message
Marz

Joined10 Jul 2003
Posts30659
Bank4294967295
Bones546243.93 Bones

Post Reply with quote
I understand where you're coming from but you do agree you're speaking for yourself right??

I'm not criticizing you because that may be whats more important to you and thats fine. You'll meet a guy who wants to do that. It's just my take that the money could be much better spent and that rings generally are westernized things that are used to symbolize a union.
Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:15 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Marz Send private message Send e-mail
Rock Star

Joined16 Nov 2004
Posts19420
Bank0
Bones58532.34 Bones

Post Reply with quote
When I was younger I thought differently about a ring. I wanted X amount of carats, etc, etc.

That crap doesn't matter much to me today. It's jewelry. I don't really even like jewelry like that anyway. My Mom recently bought me diamond earrings (that I begged for LAST year) for my 30th birthday and I think I may have worn them twice since I got them. Confused
Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:18 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Rock Star Send private message Send e-mail
kimora

Joined04 Jun 2007
Posts4775
Bank0
Bones15924.04 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="Marz"]I understand where you're coming from but you do agree you're speaking for yourself right??

I'm not criticizing you because that may be whats more important to you and thats fine. You'll meet a guy who wants to do that. It's just my take that the money could be much better spent and that rings generally are westernized things that are used to symbolize a union.[/quote]

I just want to live my life and enjoy it......I don't want to penny pinch on every single doggone thing.......everything doesn't always have to be logical........sometimes you just want to be happy and have something that you want. I want a ring.
Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:26 pm View user's profile Find all posts by kimora Send private message
Rock Star

Joined16 Nov 2004
Posts19420
Bank0
Bones58532.34 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="kimora"]
I just want to live my life and enjoy it......I don't want to penny pinch on every single doggone thing.......everything doesn't always have to be logical........sometimes you just want to be happy and have something that you want. I want a ring.[/quote]

I hear you but do you think some people put more interest and value in the ring and wedding than they put in the actual marriage?

It's like the saying of doing something that you love for free ... That's sort of how I equate good relationships. You'd do it for nothing because you love the person ... so who cares about a ring??

Right? Laughing
Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:30 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Rock Star Send private message Send e-mail
kimora

Joined04 Jun 2007
Posts4775
Bank0
Bones15924.04 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="Rock Star"][quote="kimora"]
I just want to live my life and enjoy it......I don't want to penny pinch on every single doggone thing.......everything doesn't always have to be logical........sometimes you just want to be happy and have something that you want. I want a ring.[/quote]

I hear you but do you think some people put more interest and value in the ring and wedding than they put in the actual marriage?

It's like the saying of doing something that you love for free ... That's sort of how I equate good relationships. You'd do it for nothing because you love the person ... so who cares about a ring??

Right? Laughing[/quote]

Oh don't get me wrong ....I would never spend thousands upon thousands on a wedding. I just think that is ridiculous.....I know of a couple who spent over $100K on the wedding in September of 2008 and are now filing for divorce......

A young lady in my office ran through her 401K in order to pay for her wedding.......they are now separated as well.

Truth be told I'd be happily have a Soul Train line Themed wedding in Vegas lol lol lol..........HOWEVER I always wanted a beautiful platinum ring.

Would I be disappointed if homeboy couldn't afford to purchase that particular kind of ring? "yes"

Would I refuse to marry this man I am in love with because he got me a diamond?...."no"...
Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:49 pm View user's profile Find all posts by kimora Send private message
Rock Star

Joined16 Nov 2004
Posts19420
Bank0
Bones58532.34 Bones

Post Reply with quote
Ok. That's fair.
Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:11 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Rock Star Send private message Send e-mail

Reply to topic    Afrocentric Online Forum Index » Soul II Soul All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: