Forum IndexRegisterGamesSearchFAQBankMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Tim Duncan is the players of the decade PERIOD

Reply to topic    Afrocentric Online Forum Index » Sportz Wrap View previous topic
View next topic

Tim Duncan is the players of the decade PERIOD
Marz

Joined10 Jul 2003
Posts30659
Bank4294967295
Bones546243.93 Bones

Post Tim Duncan is the players of the decade PERIOD Reply with quote
I'd love to see ANY argument made differently.

He edges Shaq because he's STILL playing at a consistent ALL STAR level. He has MORE MVPs than Shaq & Kobe. People sure have short friggin memories. Part of this I blame on the fact that his game isn't "flashy" so to speak.
Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:41 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Marz Send private message Send e-mail
MHC

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts22860
LocationSomewhere quietly gaining power...
Bank4294967295
Bones999999999.99 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[color=darkred]I agree. I hate that you don't see or hear from him much. I wish I had a better feel for his level of intellect, both as a player and as a person.

If he were of a capacity to be a player-coach, I'd like to see that...impossible as that is in the current league.[/color]
Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:51 pm View user's profile Find all posts by MHC Send private message
BobbyDigital

Joined03 Aug 2002
Posts7583
LocationBlack Hollywood
Bank0
Bones21765.78 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[b]Okay... I'll bite... being a Shaq guy and all. Because I think people see the Shaq of today and have a short memory as to what this dude has done in the league.

First let me said that if Tim Dunce was selected as the best player of a decade then you won't see me complaining. But for the sake of argument...

Let's remember that Shaq is 4 years older than Timmy.

O'Neal:

1999-00 MVP award
199293 NBA Rookie of the Year award
15 All-Star game selections (3 All-Star Game MVPs)
4 Championship (on two teams)
3 Finals MVPs
2 scoring titles
14 All-NBA team selections
3 NBA All-Defensive Team selections
5th all-time in points scored
6th in field goals
15th in rebounds
7th in blocks.

Timmy's number are/will be kinda similar. Although you won't hear an argument from me that Timmy was a better defensive player than Shaq. But I doubt you'll ever see another center put up these kinds of accolades.

But in the end... I think it all comes down to what ten years you're talking about. When these guys careers are over, I think you can get an argument for both as which was better and why. That being said... I don't think their was a better player from 1993-2003 than Shaq. And if you look at 1997-2007... it's Timmy.

But then I hate these comparisons in basketball because they play different positions.[/b]
Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:16 pm View user's profile Find all posts by BobbyDigital Send private message Yahoo Messenger
BobbyDigital

Joined03 Aug 2002
Posts7583
LocationBlack Hollywood
Bank0
Bones21765.78 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[b]If you're talking about 2000-2009... then yeah... it's Timmy hands down.[/b]
Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:18 pm View user's profile Find all posts by BobbyDigital Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Marz

Joined10 Jul 2003
Posts30659
Bank4294967295
Bones546243.93 Bones

Post Reply with quote
You would have had a better chance arguing for Kobe.

Shaq post his MVP season of 2000 up until 2006 was averaging around 60 games a year. Thats horrible and that was due to his piss poor conditioning. In the 2006-07 Shaq's averages slipped below 20points per game and he was a borderline cancer in the Miami locker room.

Timmy D's teams NEVER succumbed the way Miami fell apart. Shaq is definitely impressive this decade despite what I point out above but Shaq is definitely a 90's carry over (having been playing since '92).

Duncan's been consistent and a consistent all NBA more times than not. Shaq benefitts from playing against weaker centers although they both matched up against each other for a time. Also Duncan is a better defender and rebounder than Shaq if you compare them skill for skill.

The argument to make is for Kobe..
Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:15 am View user's profile Find all posts by Marz Send private message Send e-mail
BobbyDigital

Joined03 Aug 2002
Posts7583
LocationBlack Hollywood
Bank0
Bones21765.78 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="Marz"]You would have had a better chance arguing for Kobe.

Shaq post his MVP season of 2000 up until 2006 was averaging around 60 games a year. Thats horrible and that was due to his piss poor conditioning. In the 2006-07 Shaq's averages slipped below 20points per game and he was a borderline cancer in the Miami locker room.[/quote]

[b]That's why I spoke about the Shaq from 1993-2003.

How was he a "cancer" in the Miami locker room? The Heat at best was a .500 team without Shaq during the time he was there.[/b]

[quote]Timmy D's teams NEVER succumbed the way Miami fell apart. Shaq is definitely impressive this decade despite what I point out above but Shaq is definitely a 90's carry over (having been playing since '92).

Duncan's been consistent and a consistent all NBA more times than not. Shaq benefitts from playing against weaker centers although they both matched up against each other for a time. Also Duncan is a better defender and rebounder than Shaq if you compare them skill for skill.

The argument to make is for Kobe..[/quote]

[b]Wasn't it Shaq's team that went into the 2001 Western Conference Finals against the #1 Timmy led San Antonio Spurs (who were the favorites) and sweep them? I think that was the season that the Lakers went 11-0 in their conference playoffs.

And in 2002... they beat the Spurs in 5 games during the playoffs? (Shaq goes on to average 36pts/12 boards in the Finals... which is ridiculous for a center).

Like I said, you get the nod in the argument of who's the better defender. But let's not sit here and say that Shaq's career... considering his size is nothing but impressive, when you look at other big men who have fallen earlier and often due to injuries or don't even come close to doing what he did in the league. Dude was a freak of nature. Guys his size (7'1"/300lbs) shouldn't be playing a sport like basketball at the level he did for as long as he did.

I mean... coaches had to come up with "Hack-a-Shaq" to make him less effective (just like they did with hand checking to defend Jordan) I mean, before then who ever heard of purposely fouling a player who didn't have the ball to put him on the free throw line because his weakness was shooting free throws?

Any player good enough to get a ruling imposed to prevent other teams from finding loopholes to "defend" him has be great. (refering to the new rule Stern put in to counter the Hack-a-Shaq)

Personally I think the comparisons fall short because we're talking about players that play different positions (thus different styles). It's like having a conversation comparing Montana and Jerry Rice as to who was the better football player.[/b]
Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:52 pm View user's profile Find all posts by BobbyDigital Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Marz

Joined10 Jul 2003
Posts30659
Bank4294967295
Bones546243.93 Bones

Post Reply with quote
If they were a guard and Center, I'd see your point but there isn't much variance between C and PF. Especially considering there were plenty of times they've each matched up in addition Duncan having played center.

[i]
How was he a "cancer" in the Miami locker room?[/i] The Heat at best was a .500 team without Shaq during the time he was there.
[/i]
I'm referring in particular to 2007 season when prior to Shaq being traded to Phoenix where Pat Riley spoke about Shaq's conditioning. Additionally when Shaq came out talking about Chris Quinn & Ricky Davis. Here

"I love playing for this coach and I love playing with [the Suns]," O'Neal told the Globe. "We have professionals who know what to do. No one is asking me to play with Chris Quinn or Ricky Davis. I'm actually on a team again."

Was that necessary?? Nevermind that if you look at his statlines prior to that trade, it wasn't ANYTHING eye popping. Not to mention his NAGGING (based on conditioning) injuries where he wasn't on the floor half the time. Shaq is apart of HISTORY in that he's a (KEY MEMBER) of a championship team that was [b]SWEPT [/b]out of the playoffs the FIRST FRIGGIN round. Not in 60 plus years of the NBA has that EVER happened and you're telling me this guy who

Can't stay healthy for half the decade (not a quality of a player of the decade by ANY means).

Btw, STOP mentioning the 90's. That was last decade and has ZERO bearing on what we're talking here.
Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:57 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Marz Send private message Send e-mail
BobbyDigital

Joined03 Aug 2002
Posts7583
LocationBlack Hollywood
Bank0
Bones21765.78 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="Marz"]Btw, STOP mentioning the 90's. That was last decade and has ZERO bearing on what we're talking here. [/quote]

[b]True... but again go back and you'll see that I said that if you're referring to 2000-2009 then it's Timmy hands down (maybe Kobe if you dig into the numbers and accomplishments... but then again you're comparing a guard to a power forward). But since you mentioned him edging Shaq (in this decade), I just took the stance of making an argument for the Diesel. In all honesty if you're talking about player of the decade (2000-2009) Shaq wouldn't be in the top 3... more so the top five for what he from 2000-2004. My top 3 for [i]this[/i] decade (2000-2009) would be Kobe, Timmy, and Steve Nash (despite not having any championships). Followed by Shaq and KG.

I'm just saying that there was a 10 year span in NBA history that Shaq was undeniably the man. And there wasn't anyone he had to edge out during those 10 years (1993-2003).[/b]
Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:54 pm View user's profile Find all posts by BobbyDigital Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Marz

Joined10 Jul 2003
Posts30659
Bank4294967295
Bones546243.93 Bones

Post Reply with quote
Shaq IMO (and I'm not a fan) is the 4th greatest center in the NBA. He could have EASILY been NUMBER one if had a better approach towards conditioning and EASILY averaged 30points a game if hetook free throws seriously and worked to 70%.
Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:20 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Marz Send private message Send e-mail
BobbyDigital

Joined03 Aug 2002
Posts7583
LocationBlack Hollywood
Bank0
Bones21765.78 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="Marz"]Shaq IMO (and I'm not a fan) is the 4th greatest center in the NBA. He could have EASILY been NUMBER one if had a better approach towards conditioning and EASILY averaged 30points a game if hetook free throws seriously and worked to 70%.[/quote]

[b]Considering who I'd imagine your top 3 would be (Wilt, Russell, Abdul-Jabbar)... I think Shaq being #4 greatest is pretty good. Although Wilt and Russell were awful in shooting free throws too.

Althought I doubt any of those 3 in their prime... would want to deal with Shaq in his. And maybe vice versa.

Regarding his conditioning (which I find kinda funny that his critics were people who didn't have to deal with or even understand the stress that being a 7'1", 300-lb center has on the body over a 82 game span) you see players his same height (who are conditioned) unable to stay on the court for one reason or another... feet/knee/back injuries.[/b]
Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:39 pm View user's profile Find all posts by BobbyDigital Send private message Yahoo Messenger

Reply to topic    Afrocentric Online Forum Index » Sportz Wrap All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: