Forum IndexRegisterGamesSearchFAQBankMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
"Unsung" Season whatever 2012
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Reply to topic    Afrocentric Online Forum Index » Celebrity Gossip View previous topic
View next topic

"Unsung" Season whatever 2012
Marz

Joined10 Jul 2003
Posts30659
Bank4294967295
Bones546243.93 Bones

Post Reply with quote
The Marvellettes was good. Wow, I know it's not entirely Barry Gordy's fault but man.
Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:44 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Marz Send private message Send e-mail
mack

Joined16 Jan 2002
Posts56791
LocationSnotlanta
Bank4294967295
Bones990061542.19 Bones

Post Reply with quote
Yeah, but once again, he had a hand in it.
Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:48 pm View user's profile Find all posts by mack Send private message AIM Address
Jocie
Site Admin

Joined16 Jan 2002
Posts18689
Bank4294967295
Bones17573.95 Bones

Post Reply with quote
I think the only ones that benefited from Barry Gordy was Diana Ross and Smokey...he was probably sleeping with both..well Diana for a fact.
Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:05 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Jocie Send private message
Marz

Joined10 Jul 2003
Posts30659
Bank4294967295
Bones546243.93 Bones

Post Reply with quote
I wouldn't be surprised one bit. He screwed over Norman Whitfield and he was one of the chief writers. I get sick when I see him honored all the time. Why is he still living while plenty of the greats and pioneers of Motown have died, tragic deaths??

Smokey is ah whatever. When the super bowl was going on in Detroit, he was on the same plane I was on. He was cool even though his face looked like Michael Jackson's (all surgery'd up). His assistant you would have thought it was someone huge the way they were acting. My thing was if they were like that, why fly commercial??
Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:17 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Marz Send private message Send e-mail
Jocie
Site Admin

Joined16 Jan 2002
Posts18689
Bank4294967295
Bones17573.95 Bones

Post Reply with quote
Smokey is HUGE...:lol, did he have on a high collar shirt??? :lol
Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:19 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Jocie Send private message
Marz

Joined10 Jul 2003
Posts30659
Bank4294967295
Bones546243.93 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="Jocie"]Smokey is HUGE...:lol, did he have on a high collar shirt??? :lol[/quote]

Smokey was huge in the 60, coked out in the 70's and early 80's and pretty much living off of what he did in the 60s. No one really cares about him in The D. Way past his prime. It's not like he's a "Beattle" or should I say McCartney. (I don't count Ringo since he was the least talented).

In the end, he was a song writer thats it. Its not like he used his noterity for anything else but powdering his nose. No one was hovering around him or wanted his autograph. He's done.

My problem with those Motown fucks is when they left Detroit it was like they ABANDONED plenty of people including their session players.

Diana Ross already showed she wasn't about SCHIT by not showing up act Michael's funerals. But she's a big time phony anyways.

Watching that episode, kids who god forbid STILL want to be in entertainment should see it and see that if you're not on top of things, you can be left out to dry.

Inkster, good lord. You want to talk about a piece of schit city. It's sad that a couple of the Marvelettes still have to live there.

Wanda, all the years of the abuse have taken a toll on her voice and appearance.
Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:25 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Marz Send private message Send e-mail
Dyva

Joined26 Sep 2002
Posts3897
LocationDyvaville, USA
Bank4294967295
Bones9139.98 Bones

Post Reply with quote
THE MARVELETTES WAS SAD...THOSE LADIES WENT THRU A LOT. SAD ABOUT WANDA IN THE WHEELCHAIR. AFTER SHE SAW WAS DRUGS DID TO THE OTHER ONE SHE SHOULD HAVE STAYED FAR AWAY.

I LOVED THE SONG THE HUNTER GETS CAPTURED BY THE GAME

SMOKEY WAS DRUGGED OUT WHEN HE GOT WITH RICK JAMES. HE IS NOW A BOTOXED FOOL. CLAUDETTE TOLD HIM HE COULD HAVE ALL THE AFFAIRS HE WANTED JUST DON'T GET ANYONE PREGGARS. AFTER HER 6 MISCARRIAGES HE'S A DAMN FOOL. HE GOT 1 OF HIS GROUPIES PREGGARS SO SHE LEFT HIIM. SHE WILL NOT TAPE OR BE IN THE SAME ROOM WITH HIM.
SMOKEY IS MARRIED TO ANOTHER LADY NOW 8 YEARS. SHE PUTS UP WITH HIS BOTOX.

BERRY GORDY IS STILL A HO
Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:28 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Dyva Send private message
Bootylicious

Joined14 Jun 2005
Posts8527
LocationYour Computer Screen!
Bank0
Bones95605.42 Bones

Post Reply with quote
I loved this episode of the Marvelettes. I only remember them as a trio. I was really surprised the group started out with 5, then 4 members. Seen them many times on their "chicken circuit" tours at the Uptown in Philly.

My all time version of Forever...........

"Forever" Marvin Gaye & Marvelettes Duet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdJbCEdwFzw
Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:33 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Bootylicious Send private message
juju

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts22914
LocationNeverland Valley Ranch
Bank4294967295
Bones30244.24 Bones

Post Reply with quote
saw the one on the marvelettes. i didn't realize they were just little girls. messed up what happened to them. that POS who stole their name should be in prison.
Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:33 pm View user's profile Find all posts by juju Send private message
Dyva

Joined26 Sep 2002
Posts3897
LocationDyvaville, USA
Bank4294967295
Bones9139.98 Bones

Post Reply with quote
they are on again tonite at 8 pm. SMOKEY WAS A DRUGGED OUT PIMP TOO SINCE HE HAS OWNERSHIP OF MOTOWN

BERRY WAS A PIMP TOO HE MARRIED HIS 3RD WIFE AND HID HER IN THE CLOSET ON THEIR WEDDING NIGHT SO HE COULD SCREW DIANA
Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:55 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Dyva Send private message
NEAquarius

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts15542
Locationhere, there, everywhere
Bank0
Bones33553.70 Bones

Post Reply with quote
Did they ever come out and say Wanda had mental issues that caused her to be homeless and literally living on the street for years?
Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:08 pm View user's profile Find all posts by NEAquarius Send private message
Dyva

Joined26 Sep 2002
Posts3897
LocationDyvaville, USA
Bank4294967295
Bones9139.98 Bones

Post Reply with quote
NO, THEY DIDN'T SAY THAT ABOUT WANDA WHO WAS MARRIED TO THR MIRACLE BOBBY ROGERS THATS WHY SHE WAS NOT KICKED OUT THE GROUP AND SHE STILL STRUGGLED WITH HER HEROIN ADDICTION. SHE IS IN A WHEELCHAIR NOW AND OVER 300 LBS. HOW DID SHE GET SOOO BIG BEING ON DRUGS

I FELT SORRY FOR GLADYS HORTON SINCE THE HAD THE 3 SONS THE OLDEST SUFFERING CEREBAL PALSY
Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:34 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Dyva Send private message
Marz

Joined10 Jul 2003
Posts30659
Bank4294967295
Bones546243.93 Bones

Post Reply with quote
I'm going to do some research on Motown myself and not rely on "street accounts" anymore.

I have a couple feelings about it. One hand I say it's F'd up how Berry Gordy focused his attention solely on Diana Ross's development (part of the reason he moved Motown out to LA to try to get into film. Thats where Mahoganny and "Lady Sings the Blues" came into play).

At the same time I feel like these artist have got to take some onus themselves. I read online that "Temps" for example weren't screwed. Barry Gordy if you were signed to Motown paid your taxes and had accountants look over your affairs.

Now who's to say for that service he didn't charge a fee or what have you. This to me relates to the Marvelletes in that damn, talk about "out of sight, out of mind".

Granted one of the singers (Linda) did become alchy, etc and the group had little stability. But to me EVEN in the late 60s and 70s if you HAD something viable, you could have gotten put on. ESPECIALLY if you had a track record.

Overall though it's completely sad all ways and if I'm Barry Gordy (why is he still alive? Unreal) I can't sleep at night knowing that I turned my back on people. True, you can't always help EVERYONE out but come on. These chix still living in Inkster??

It's not all bad but wow. Then this Larry Mushak piece of schit that took groups and used their name. Man is there ANY integrity left in the world??
Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:15 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Marz Send private message Send e-mail
Bootylicious

Joined14 Jun 2005
Posts8527
LocationYour Computer Screen!
Bank0
Bones95605.42 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="Marz"]I'm going to do some [b]research on Motown[/b] myself and not rely on "street accounts" anymore.[/quote]
As a Tamla generation baby, your research should [b]FIRST[/b] start off with [b][u]Tamla Records[/u][/b] as that was Barry's [b][u]FIRST[/u][/b] record label.
Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:50 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Bootylicious Send private message
Dyva

Joined26 Sep 2002
Posts3897
LocationDyvaville, USA
Bank4294967295
Bones9139.98 Bones

Post Reply with quote
WEDNESDAY AT 4M GERALD LEVERT COMES ON ALSO AT 8PM ON WEDNESDAY I AM TAPING THE 4AM SHOW
Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:23 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Dyva Send private message
Dyva

Joined26 Sep 2002
Posts3897
LocationDyvaville, USA
Bank4294967295
Bones9139.98 Bones

Post Reply with quote
GERALD LEVERT DIDN'T COME ON BUT ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT IS ON MONDAY, WOW I WANTED TO SEE GERALD
Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:49 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Dyva Send private message
Marz

Joined10 Jul 2003
Posts30659
Bank4294967295
Bones546243.93 Bones

Post Reply with quote
LEt me make sure my DVR is turn OFF for this one. This is truly one I could car less about. Speech was a whiny punk and I'm glad they fell off.

One hit wonder that had an overrated Tennesse song as the lead hit. NO real hip hop heads liked this schit and suburban/bohemian/college YT kids liked them overall period.

Speech came out with a WACK solo album and they faded away. I'm sure they'll talk about how the industry abanadoned them, they were ahead of their time but thats bullschit!!!

I was there.
Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:05 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Marz Send private message Send e-mail
aisha

Joined04 Mar 2002
Posts13144
LocationWhy? You wanna come over?
Bank0
Bones26969.84 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="Marz"]LEt me make sure my DVR is turn OFF for this one. This is truly one I could car less about. Speech was a whiny punk and I'm glad they fell off.

One hit wonder that had an overrated Tennesse song as the lead hit. NO real hip hop heads liked this schit and suburban/bohemian/college YT kids liked them overall period.

Speech came out with a WACK solo album and they faded away. I'm sure they'll talk about how the industry abanadoned them, they were ahead of their time but thats bullschit!!!

I was there.[/quote]

No, no, I want to see it because I really hope that the other members of the crew talk about Speech being the AZZ that he is (notice the present tense use of that word Laughing)

I think that they were right on point in the time they were out, not ahead of it -- JB's, Tribe, etc were already out and knocking it out the part pre-AD. At best they could claim the soulful singer in their rap, and that they were attempting to be more Afrikan than everyone, including an elder and errythang in their posse. Baba ___________? I really liked their stuff and their style, but I had no care for Speech's ego, or his idea that his talent was so huge. He's almost like a QTip (re: ego) but with less hits and less talent.
Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:59 pm View user's profile Find all posts by aisha Send private message
pacco96

Joined17 Sep 2005
Posts5011
Bank0
Bones18727.44 Bones

Post Reply with quote
I don't dwell that deep, that's the problem with rap now. Everything too uniform...no diversity. I liked AD, thought they were bringing some simple folk knowledge, however, not enough to care about what happened. Does TVOne know the meaning of unsong? Gerald Levert???
Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:20 pm View user's profile Find all posts by pacco96 Send private message
aisha

Joined04 Mar 2002
Posts13144
LocationWhy? You wanna come over?
Bank0
Bones26969.84 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="pacco96"]I don't dwell that deep, that's the problem with rap now. Everything too uniform...no diversity. I liked AD, thought they were bringing some simple folk knowledge, however, not enough to care about what happened. [b]Does TVOne know the meaning of unsong? Gerald Levert??[/b]?[/quote]

Laughing yeah, we discussed that before. My idea is that "unsung" initially started as those groups/solo artists that were so big then faded. And since the series did well, it became more in line with "Behind the Music" or "Whatever Happened to . . ."
Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:17 pm View user's profile Find all posts by aisha Send private message

Reply to topic    Afrocentric Online Forum Index » Celebrity Gossip All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: