Forum IndexRegisterGamesSearchFAQBankMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
"Unsung" Season whatever 2012
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Reply to topic    Afrocentric Online Forum Index » Celebrity Gossip View previous topic
View next topic

"Unsung" Season whatever 2012
noirprncess

Joined27 Sep 2005
Posts18132
LocationNorthern NJ
Bank4294967295
Bones29117.66 Bones

Post Reply with quote
I was disappointed in this episode. Speech was a mess.
Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:20 pm View user's profile Find all posts by noirprncess Send private message Yahoo Messenger
NEAquarius

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts15542
Locationhere, there, everywhere
Bank0
Bones33553.70 Bones

Post Reply with quote
Let's just say once I heard/saw what each parent's business was I wasn't surprised by Speech trying to keep all the money. I'm sure he learned it from them. But I rolled when Eshe said the only thing Speech had in common with Prince was the height. Laughing
Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:00 pm View user's profile Find all posts by NEAquarius Send private message
Jocie
Site Admin

Joined16 Jan 2002
Posts18689
Bank4294967295
Bones17573.95 Bones

Post Reply with quote
yeah how you gonna have 90% and your partner 10%???

The Music business sucks unless you have some STRONG Management behind you.
Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:25 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Jocie Send private message
Marz

Joined10 Jul 2003
Posts30659
Bank4294967295
Bones546243.93 Bones

Post Reply with quote
My god I can't believe I'm gonna defend that punk azz twerp Speech. I actually took peeks of this episode and it was more "Unworthy" than "UNSUNG". 1 1/2 hit wonder BIG TIME (I give "Everyday People" a song people liked but a 1/2 because not only was it sampled but it had the same title of the sample).

But if Speech came up with the concepts, did the production, wrote it, I think he is warranted a larger percentage. Maybe not 90 but he is.

My mother actually text'd me and said, "they were before their time" LMAO!!! I have a rule of hip hop that still holds true. When your parents start liking a hip hop artist, JUMP SHIP immediately,lol. I had to explain that absolutely NOTHING from "Arrested Development" was original in hip hop.

I can't believe this was 20+ years ago but when "AD" was at their peak. Here are the other "conscious" (sighing at that label) groups that had MUCH better material and more flava than them.

"Brand Nubian" (peace to the "Gods" my favorites)

"Poor Righteous Teachers aka PRT"

"Queen PLEASE come out the closet this is ridiculous"

Native Tongues consisting of "Jungle Brothers"(JB's), "Tribe....Quest", "Dela Soul"

KAM on the WEST COAST

Ice Cube's "DEATH CERTIFICATE" album was dropping seriously conscious jewels with an edge

"Public Enemy" was still in their hey dey

"Moe Dee"

"Big Daddy Kane"

this is my point people might not associate the last two artist but back then you HAD balance out your presentation with more than good flows.

Kane had "YOung, gifted and Black", "Words f/the MOtherland"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why not just do "UNSUNGs" on EVERYONE gesh.

The only reason I'll say "Gerald Levert" is Unsung is that he's NOT at ALL known outside of Black circles.

Personally I didn't fuck too much with Gerald when he went solo. I preferred his stuff with "Levert". "POP POP goes My MIND" is STILL my schit!!!

I thought his solo career was pandering to women of sorts. Can anyone recommend a good solo Gerald Levert album?? I remember his first one was good but I'm hard pressed to name ANY of his solo tracks honestly.
Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:32 am View user's profile Find all posts by Marz Send private message Send e-mail
younggiftedandblack

Joined21 Jan 2002
Posts9684
LocationOkinawa
Bank4294967295
Bones5803.64 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="Marz"]
Why not just do "UNSUNGs" on EVERYONE gesh.

The only reason I'll say "Gerald Levert" is Unsung is that he's NOT at ALL known outside of Black circles.

Personally I didn't fuck too much with Gerald when he went solo. I preferred his stuff with "Levert". "POP POP goes My MIND" is STILL my schit!!!

I thought his solo career was pandering to women of sorts. Can anyone recommend a good solo Gerald Levert album?? I remember his first one was good but I'm hard pressed to name ANY of his solo tracks honestly.[/quote]
See that is what I think the show is about. Artist who may be a known name and have multiple hits, but their story is not known to everyone.
Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:27 am View user's profile Find all posts by younggiftedandblack Send private message
BishopTuTu

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts43669
LocationMD
Bank4294967295
Bones86572.28 Bones

Post Reply with quote
Personally I didn't see a problem with the original deal with Speech getting 90%. It was HIS concept and HE was writing the songs. Why should he split it 50/50? Its a BUSINESS. Laughing
Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:25 pm View user's profile Find all posts by BishopTuTu Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Jocie
Site Admin

Joined16 Jan 2002
Posts18689
Bank4294967295
Bones17573.95 Bones

Post Reply with quote
yeah that 90-10% deal really worked out for him...and that Marvin Gaye song was horrible, I guess I could go over to Japan and become the next Beyounce if that is all that it takes.
Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:43 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Jocie Send private message
Marz

Joined10 Jul 2003
Posts30659
Bank4294967295
Bones546243.93 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="Jocie"]yeah that 90-10% deal really worked out for him...a[b]nd that Marvin Gaye song was horrible[/b], I guess I could go over to Japan and become the next Beyounce if that is all that it takes.[/quote]

LOL, you ain't never lied. I don't know what was worse, was it the song (which the concept had been done a gazillion times before. Guess he never heard Frankie Beverly's "Silky Soul Singer", or Diana's "Missing You") or his presentation. He went from looking like a wannabee hippee that bought his schit at a flea market to being suited and booted,lol

WTF happened to Dionne Ferris?? Sorry ladies, I didn't AT ALL dig the hairstyle she had in the interview. Her short look was MUCH better. How many worthless niggas was in that group,lol??

I swear the old man (hope he's well with a stroke an all) was there more as a PROP than anything.
Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:57 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Marz Send private message Send e-mail
Jocie
Site Admin

Joined16 Jan 2002
Posts18689
Bank4294967295
Bones17573.95 Bones

Post Reply with quote
I was thinking the same thing too about Dionne, the makeup was clownish...I think I read somewhere a while a go that she got a bad deal either with Diddy, or someone else.

Yeah seems like Speech was trying to be like Hammer and just hire the whole neighborhood, but I think he got a NEW old guy in his current group.
Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:07 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Jocie Send private message
juju

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts22914
LocationNeverland Valley Ranch
Bank4294967295
Bones30244.24 Bones

Post Reply with quote
Frickin loved Gerald Levert's last album before he passed, "In My Songs." I still can't listen to Eddie's intro. Makes me cry.

Thought Dionne Farris' hair was beautiful. Wish mine were that thick. I always thought that "Game of Horseshooooes" girl was annoying as hell. Never realized how much Speech sounds like he has a perpetual sinus infection.
Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:05 pm View user's profile Find all posts by juju Send private message
Marz

Joined10 Jul 2003
Posts30659
Bank4294967295
Bones546243.93 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="BishopTuTu"]Personally I didn't see a problem with the original deal with Speech getting 90%. It was HIS concept and HE was writing the songs. Why should he split it 50/50? Its a BUSINESS. Laughing[/quote]

I didnt' see the entire episode and frankly outside of Dionne Ferris, had no clue of ANYONE in the group name outside of the "old man" and thats what I knew him as. But apparently, "Topliner" or whatever his name was??

Whats his claim to being paid more? did he start the group out with Speech??

It's not because I didn't like the group but this "UNSUNG" is just as bad as the "Teddy Pendergrass" one. Also, some of the archival had footage they showed had NOTHING to do with this. Speech came up in the 80s and I swear that footage looked like the 68 riots,lol
Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:13 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Marz Send private message Send e-mail
BishopTuTu

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts43669
LocationMD
Bank4294967295
Bones86572.28 Bones

Post Reply with quote
They said in the beginning it was Speech and the other dude. He and the other dude were the ORIGINAL people on the record deal and that deal originally paid Speech more. Then Speech (according to him) brought in other people as well. So I understand how people who made contributions expected and wanted to be paid more but the BUSINESS wasn't handled before the ART started to be made. THIS is how people get screwed in the business. We all know it yet it happens everyday.
Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:10 am View user's profile Find all posts by BishopTuTu Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
mack

Joined16 Jan 2002
Posts56791
LocationSnotlanta
Bank4294967295
Bones990061542.19 Bones

Post Reply with quote
I liked Dionne's look

Pretty boring episode. I will wait for Gerald Levert.

Juju, I liked his last CD too. I think he was just starting to get a direction on his sound. His previous solo project just never measured up to his Levert work. Now, I did like his LSG projects.
Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:16 am View user's profile Find all posts by mack Send private message AIM Address
Marz

Joined10 Jul 2003
Posts30659
Bank4294967295
Bones546243.93 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="BishopTuTu"]They said in the beginning it was Speech and the other dude. He and the other dude were the ORIGINAL people on the record deal and that deal originally paid Speech more. Then Speech (according to him) brought in other people as well. So I understand how people who made contributions expected and wanted to be paid more but the BUSINESS wasn't handled before the ART started to be made. THIS is how people get screwed in the business. We all know it yet it happens everyday.[/quote]

Exactly and I'm NOT trying to be cold but because one chic (for example) did the bio's and bought the rags they wore, she thinks she's entitled to 20-30%??

I have a HOT DOG stand I want to come out with right?? I know for a fact that if I stand in front of it, sales will be, "aw". But if I put an attractive women, my sales will spike. Is she entitled to 50% of my cart when all she does is be a prop for my weinnies? (lol)

I reading something about Vegas pools and found out hat they hire local models to walk around the pool. I don't know how much they pay them but they may comp their drinks. Should they get half the cover at the Bellagio because of that??

People got business really fucked up..
Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:02 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Marz Send private message Send e-mail
MHC

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts22860
LocationSomewhere quietly gaining power...
Bank4294967295
Bones999999999.99 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[color=darkred]Marz... Laughing Laughing Laughing

The weirdest thing I ever saw along those lines was in Salt Lake City. The nightclubs are "members only", but you can buy "one night memberships" (cover charge) to get in, drink, and party. So the clubs hire these Hooters looking chicks to stroll the sidewalks in front of the club engaging passersby soliciting memberships.

Shady ass, fake ass piety. Laughing

[i]And now...back to UnSung on TVOne.[/i][/color]
Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:39 pm View user's profile Find all posts by MHC Send private message
Dyva

Joined26 Sep 2002
Posts3897
LocationDyvaville, USA
Bank4294967295
Bones9139.98 Bones

Post Reply with quote
GERALD LEVERT WAS SAD HIS MOMMA TOLD HIM FAMILY COMES FIRST SO HE HAD TO TAKE CARE OF HIS WHOLE FAMILY 21 OF THEM. PAY THEIR BILLS RENT, ETC.. DIDN'T KNOW HE AND MIKI WERE ON AND OFF. SAD THE OTHERS WERE SO DEPENDED ON HIM LAZY BUMS
Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:03 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Dyva Send private message
Marz

Joined10 Jul 2003
Posts30659
Bank4294967295
Bones546243.93 Bones

Post Reply with quote
I didn't get a chance to watch it. It's on the DVR.

I went to a show where he was opening for Patti Labelle. Boy was I shocked when webble wobble Sean came out there with him. I was like, "damn he's leeching off his brother still?"

I remember when Sean came out with a solo album. Was their cousin Mark (the 3rd guy in Levert) interviewed? He was a pretty solid producer and I felt he was lost because he didn't have a voice.

There was a time around 90, 91ish Cleveland was putting out some things. MC Brains (wack), Rude Boys and of course Levert.
Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:07 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Marz Send private message Send e-mail
NEAquarius

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts15542
Locationhere, there, everywhere
Bank0
Bones33553.70 Bones

Post Reply with quote
Marc was interviewed.

Listening to the sister it sounds like Gerald worked himself into ill health trying to support able bodied adults. I always wonder what people like that are doing once their money maker is gone.
Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:28 pm View user's profile Find all posts by NEAquarius Send private message
Dyva

Joined26 Sep 2002
Posts3897
LocationDyvaville, USA
Bank4294967295
Bones9139.98 Bones

Post Reply with quote
LIVING ON SKID ROW
Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:58 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Dyva Send private message
juju

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts22914
LocationNeverland Valley Ranch
Bank4294967295
Bones30244.24 Bones

Post Reply with quote
marc's not related to them. he said everybody assumed that because he lived with the Leverts. damn you TV-One! they played eddie's intro on In My Songs and I busted out crying. I was doing alright until then. I've always loved Miki Howard's songs, but once I watched her episode of Unsung, I got the impression that she's a little dumb. poor Gerald. if he wanted to find someone like his mama to settle down with, he should've put a condom on himself. you can't be a whore and expect your mate to be the virgin mary. I'm sure much of his financial strain was due to supporting all those children by all those different women. two kids born within three days of each other? that's so effing gross man. but I miss his voice. I still play the hell out of his last album. "Wanna Get Up With You" is my jam. mack, you're right, he'd reached a certain level of comfort by that album. one thing I loved about Gerald Levert is that his songs still had the romance of his father's music. you could tell from his songs that he actually liked women.
Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:55 pm View user's profile Find all posts by juju Send private message

Reply to topic    Afrocentric Online Forum Index » Celebrity Gossip All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: