Forum IndexRegisterGamesSearchFAQBankMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
"Unsung" Season whatever 2012
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Reply to topic    Afrocentric Online Forum Index » Celebrity Gossip View previous topic
View next topic

"Unsung" Season whatever 2012
Marz

Joined10 Jul 2003
Posts30659
Bank4294967295
Bones546243.93 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[i]Where was I when they were all wearing relaxers and dressing like John Stamos? I don't remember this era at all[/i]

Good one because that was around the early 90s. I only know because I watched Video Soul, Madeline Woods show and Sheri Carter who had them on religiously.

[i]Unpopular opinion, but Barbara Weathers was one of my favorite singer[/i]

Not my favorite but I thought she was a hottie and I had her first solo album.

Regarding the threads. I thought about that but Dyva made separate threads for the Vesta and Bobby Womack ones. Didn't think that the artist afterward should get lost in the sauce so I continued the trend.
Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:51 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Marz Send private message Send e-mail
mack

Joined16 Jan 2002
Posts56791
LocationSnotlanta
Bank4294967295
Bones990061542.19 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="juju"]Unpopular opinion, but Barbara Weathers was one of my favorite singers. I loved her voice and style. I thought she was super pretty and always wondered what happened to her. That business manager and the gay Lewis brother did her so dirty. I had no idea she was so young when she joined the group. Loved Silver Shadow, the song not the ghetto Baltimore club. I liked both Barbara and Sharon really, but I'm young. I knew Sharon's voice, but she got sent packing before my time.

I didn't know who the gay one was when he was interviewing. He was unrecognizable to me without the douchebag moustache and greasy curl. Where was I when they were all wearing relaxers and dressing like John Stamos? I don't remember this era at all. Maybe this was around the time I was in love with The Boyz and Hi Five. I also had NO idea they sang Masterpiece. All these years I thought that was SURFACE!

Also, wouldn't it make more sense to have all these eps in one thread?[/quote]

Ha! That club was cranking the house music back in the day Laughing
Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:19 pm View user's profile Find all posts by mack Send private message AIM Address
Najee

Joined06 Apr 2002
Posts6945
Bank0
Bones21598.12 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[color=darkred][b]"Unpopular opinion, but Barbara Weathers was one of my favorite singers. I loved her voice and style. I thought she was super pretty and always wondered what happened to her. That business manager and the gay Lewis brother did her so dirty. I had no idea she was so young when she joined the group. Loved Silver Shadow, the song not the ghetto Baltimore club. I liked both Barbara and Sharon really, but I'm young. I knew Sharon's voice, but she got sent packing before my time."[/b]

My issue wasn't with Barbara Weathers' singing, but the noticeable change in Atlantic Starr's sound after Sharon Bryant left. The "As The Band Turns" album had them doing lightweight funk ("Freak-A-Ristic"), a Midnight Star-type dance song ("Cool, Calm, Collected") and pop-oriented styles ("One Love," "In The Heat Of Passion"), but once "Secret Lovers" took off the group permanently went into adult-contemporary mode.

About the only post-Bryant song I like is "If Your Heart Isn't It" and that is because it had some remnants of the previous Atlantic Starr sound. But even after Weathers left, Atlantic Starr continued with the adult contemporary ballads like "My First Love" and "Masterpiece" and the pop-oriented songs like "Love Crazy" and "My Sugar."

[b]"Where was I when they were all wearing relaxers and dressing like John Stamos? I don't remember this era at all."[/b]

You must be talking about the "Love Crazy" album, which would be 1991.[/color]
Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:37 am View user's profile Find all posts by Najee Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DaSmoov1

Joined03 Jul 2002
Posts6553
LocationOhio
Bank0
Bones22982.11 Bones

Post Reply with quote
I'm a big Atlantic Star fan, have all the albums, etc.. I love Sharon Bryant, and Barbara Weathers. I even have both of their solo joints. Sad that those ladies dealt with so much drama from the men.

Everyone seemed so metro-sexual in the eighties. Dang.
Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:19 pm View user's profile Find all posts by DaSmoov1 Send private message ICQ Number
Marz

Joined10 Jul 2003
Posts30659
Bank4294967295
Bones546243.93 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="DaSmoov1"]I'm a big Atlantic Star fan, have all the albums, etc.. I love Sharon Bryant, and Barbara Weathers. I even have both of their solo joints. Sad that those ladies dealt with so much drama from the men.

[b]Everyone seemed so metro-sexual in the eighties. Dang[/b].[/quote]

This is why I thank my parents I wasn't born 10 years earlier. Argh. If you were in your 20's through the 80s and out on the scene. It seems you had either

1. Jeri Curl
2. Wore makeup
3. Dressed like a broad (eyeliner adn such)

I mean even my boys "the Time" partook in these crap,lol..

Thank GOD for RUN DMC who made masculine hip.
Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:50 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Marz Send private message Send e-mail
mack

Joined16 Jan 2002
Posts56791
LocationSnotlanta
Bank4294967295
Bones990061542.19 Bones

Post Reply with quote
It still works for Prince!
Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:08 pm View user's profile Find all posts by mack Send private message AIM Address
MHC

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts22860
LocationSomewhere quietly gaining power...
Bank4294967295
Bones999999999.99 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[color=darkred]Man...I'm so glad I lived in Louisiana through most of the 80s. Pretty boys were REALLY pretty down there while most dudes kept it "country" (except for the curl, of course...that shit spread like the bird flu down south). I don't know if I would have survived unscathed if I'd been living in a major METRO-politan area...especially if chicks were going for it.[/color]
Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:24 pm View user's profile Find all posts by MHC Send private message
pacco96

Joined17 Sep 2005
Posts5011
Bank0
Bones18727.44 Bones

Post Reply with quote
Not that I had one, but plenty ppl wore jheri curls and weren't metrosexual. Jheri curls were pretty much the sign of the times and reached fever pitched after MJ motown 25 performance. Now the dudes who styled them like the women, well that was questionable. However, Ready for the World, the Deele, Full Force, etc. I take nothing away from these groups because it was the 80's. Nobody questions the big metal hair bands, back and the day and most of them would kick your ass. Black folks were too uptight.
Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:14 am View user's profile Find all posts by pacco96 Send private message
Marz

Joined10 Jul 2003
Posts30659
Bank4294967295
Bones546243.93 Bones

Post Reply with quote
Pac, my statement was about the total metrosexualness of that era. Are we talking about Warrant, Whitesnake and the worse offenders of them all Poison or any of those AWFUL bands that ruined metal??

No. You're sounding like a victim here.

There was a HUGE backlash of that from Black artist on the R&B scene even by younger R&B upstarts who wanted to make R&B "LOOK" more hip. Who's uptight here seriously?? We're commenting about an era and yes. While curl's were part of the landscape. Tommy Hearns wasn't wearing eye liner and schit. Deion Sanders didn't have on foundation. Those are the TOP athletes of their time that had ridiculous jeri curls that wouldn't be questioned about their masculinity

You're acting like we didn't live through that era and are just speaking from pictures..
Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:22 am View user's profile Find all posts by Marz Send private message Send e-mail
pacco96

Joined17 Sep 2005
Posts5011
Bank0
Bones18727.44 Bones

Post Reply with quote
Why do people have to defend their opinions against you? That's crazy. Dude we are pretty much the same age so there's nothing you can tell me about that decade because I lived through it. I wasn't thinking that deep than, but looking back yeah they were effeminate looks. However, it took nothing away from the music nor the era. Why would Tommy Hearns wear eyeliner, that makes no sense. You're overgeneralizing, not everyone wore box fades either. Not everyone experienced or had the same experience as you. Also, IN MY OPINION Motley Crue pretty much epitomize glam rock.
Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:34 am View user's profile Find all posts by pacco96 Send private message
Najee

Joined06 Apr 2002
Posts6945
Bank0
Bones21598.12 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[color=darkred]The glam look started taking place with the punk and new wave artists in the late 1970s, and then started migrating over to the R&B artists in the early 1980s. If you look at a lot of acts from that period, they typically wore a lot of makeup on their photos. Look at some of Lionel Richie's photos and Luther Vandross' photos during that time, and while it may not have been as obvious as certain acts like Prince and Michael Jackson they also had their fair share of makeup on their pictures.

Some people try to stereotype certain acts as being metrosexual or gay, but they selectively are looking through filters of today's times and personal prejudices. The majority of those singers weren't gay and a lot of them had (and, if you talk to some women who lived through that time, still have) women hollering over them and some (like Prince and Rick James) were notorious for shagging plenty of them. Also, keep in mind this was before photo editing software so some of those acts wore the makeup to cover up excessive blemishes and skin discoloration.

And the reality is that a lot of those artists wore it in photo shoots for their album covers and publicity shots, not during live performances or in their everyday lives. Of course, this also was a time when acts wore specially designed outfits for their performances. I believe what pacco is saying is that people during that time knew these acts wore that stuff as a part of their stage costumes and photo ops -- let's not imply that was the daily fashion of black American men during the '80s.

And as for the jheri curl? It was the hairstyle of the '80s, like the Afro was the hairstyle of the '70s and the box fade and the bald head were the looks of the early and mid-90s, respectively.[/color]
Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:55 am View user's profile Find all posts by Najee Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DaSmoov1

Joined03 Jul 2002
Posts6553
LocationOhio
Bank0
Bones22982.11 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="Marz"][quote="DaSmoov1"]I'm a big Atlantic Star fan, have all the albums, etc.. I love Sharon Bryant, and Barbara Weathers. I even have both of their solo joints. Sad that those ladies dealt with so much drama from the men.

This is why I thank my parents I wasn't born 10 years earlier. Argh. If you were in your 20's through the 80s and out on the scene. It seems you had either

[b]1. Jeri Curl [/b]
2. Wore makeup

Thank GOD for RUN DMC who made masculine hip.[/quote]

Dang, I had a RFTW curl.
Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:07 pm View user's profile Find all posts by DaSmoov1 Send private message ICQ Number
DaSmoov1

Joined03 Jul 2002
Posts6553
LocationOhio
Bank0
Bones22982.11 Bones

Post Reply with quote
Laughing Laughing
Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:10 pm View user's profile Find all posts by DaSmoov1 Send private message ICQ Number
Marz

Joined10 Jul 2003
Posts30659
Bank4294967295
Bones546243.93 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="Najee"][color=darkred]The glam look started taking place with the punk and new wave artists in the late 1970s, and then started migrating over to the R&B artists in the early 1980s. If you look at a lot of acts from that period, they typically wore a lot of makeup on their photos. Look at some of Lionel Richie's photos and Luther Vandross' photos during that time, and while it may not have been as obvious as certain acts like Prince and Michael Jackson they also had their fair share of makeup on their pictures.

Some people try to stereotype certain acts as being metrosexual or gay, but they selectively are looking through filters of today's times and personal prejudices. The majority of those singers weren't gay and a lot of them had (and, if you talk to some women who lived through that time, still have) women hollering over them and some (like Prince and Rick James) were notorious for shagging plenty of them. Also, keep in mind this was before photo editing software so some of those acts wore the makeup to cover up excessive blemishes and skin discoloration.

And the reality is that a lot of those artists wore it in photo shoots for their album covers and publicity shots, not during live performances or in their everyday lives. Of course, this also was a time when acts wore specially designed outfits for their performances. I believe what pacco is saying is that people during that time knew these acts wore that stuff as a part of their stage costumes and photo ops -- let's not imply that was the daily fashion of black American men during the '80s.

And as for the jheri curl? It was the hairstyle of the '80s, like the Afro was the hairstyle of the '70s and the box fade and the bald head were the looks of the early and mid-90s, respectively.[/color][/quote]

I don't disagree with this but you can't dismiss that there was a huge backlash of this not only from the RUN DMC's of the world but also "Metallica" that absolutely hated the image (and the music) associated with Glam Metal.

Before Pacco went off on his tizzy I think I clarified that I wasn't at my peak in that error in essence saying I would have partook in some of this probably so thank god I didn't.

Speaking of Jeri Curl's the king of them..
Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:28 am View user's profile Find all posts by Marz Send private message Send e-mail
Marz

Joined10 Jul 2003
Posts30659
Bank4294967295
Bones546243.93 Bones

Post Reply with quote
FULL FORCE episode....

I think they fit EVERY aspect of "UNSUNG" so there can't be ANY disagreements or atleast a consensus why they were featured.

The good news and THANK GOD is that it wasn't the typical, "egos", drugs, etc that takes down most groups. I'm sure the family (I didn't know they were all related) that were B Fine, Lou and Paul could have whined why they weren't in "House Party" but again, great it didn't blow up big time.

Congrats on Paul's recovery. He looks great and I hope he gets well and rid that.

I wasn't the biggest fan of theirs honestly (the jeri curls were a total turn off even then) but I did respect them. I knew even then they did a lot of the Lisa Lisa, UTFO stuff. What I didn't know is they did a lot of production for Jasmine Guy's album which wasn't a bad album.

But very good story
Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:35 am View user's profile Find all posts by Marz Send private message Send e-mail
BishopTuTu

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts43669
LocationMD
Bank4294967295
Bones86572.28 Bones

Post Reply with quote
That episode was great last night! I learned so much about Full Force I didn't even know. Looking back at the old clothes and hair broke me DOWN!

Folks can say what they want but Full Force was so good in all the movies they did. They played the part of the bully VERY well.
Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:00 pm View user's profile Find all posts by BishopTuTu Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
mack

Joined16 Jan 2002
Posts56791
LocationSnotlanta
Bank4294967295
Bones990061542.19 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="DaSmoov1"][quote="Marz"][quote="DaSmoov1"]I'm a big Atlantic Star fan, have all the albums, etc.. I love Sharon Bryant, and Barbara Weathers. I even have both of their solo joints. Sad that those ladies dealt with so much drama from the men.

[b]1. Jeri Curl [/b]
2. Wore makeup

Thank GOD for RUN DMC who made masculine hip.[/quote]

Dang, I had a RFTW curl.[/quote]

Of course, you did. It was almost mandatory in Ohio. Laughing
Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:36 pm View user's profile Find all posts by mack Send private message AIM Address
amethyst

Joined20 Jan 2002
Posts16439
LocationThe Woods
Bank4294967295
Bones2317.57 Bones

Post Reply with quote
Link to episode.
http://tvone.tv/unsung-videos?pid=P_H8dXQ6chy_hdIsxZpT59pdTN_VEGl8
Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:40 pm View user's profile Find all posts by amethyst Send private message AIM Address
pacco96

Joined17 Sep 2005
Posts5011
Bank0
Bones18727.44 Bones

Post Reply with quote
Full Force: I remember this era well esp the Roxanne period (peeps prepping). Pretty good episode. Alot I didn't know, but brought back alot of pubescent memories.
Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:56 pm View user's profile Find all posts by pacco96 Send private message
Najee

Joined06 Apr 2002
Posts6945
Bank0
Bones21598.12 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[color=darkred][b]"I don't disagree with this but you can't dismiss that there was a huge backlash of this not only from the RUN DMC's of the world but also "Metallica" that absolutely hated the image (and the music) associated with Glam Metal."[/b]

It was more or less a stylistic phase that ran its course through the late '80s, not because of some alleged backlash. Prince and Michael Jackson were the most prominent acts of the decade and they were the ones that led the charge (and still were doing it afterwards). And moreover, you only saw the performers wearing the makeup largely during album covers, videos and some prerecorded television shows. They were not wearing that stuff in concerts and in everyday life.

[b]"Before Pacco went off on his tizzy I think I clarified that I wasn't at my peak in that error in essence saying I would have partook in some of this probably so thank god I didn't."[/b]

There were not black men in everyday life wearing makeup and mascara as a practice, so I have no idea where you are drawing this conclusion. Moreover, it wasn't like you were not alive during the '80s -- in fact, you were a teen-ager during a portion of that run.

I'm not getting the jheri curl argument, either. It was the popular hairstyle of the decade, just like the Afro was in the '70s or the fade was in the '90s. Men and women wore that hairstyle, just like with the Afro in the '70s. And you were old enough to wear a jheri curl then -- you chose not to get one. So I'm failing to see how if you "were born 10 years earlier" it would have influenced you.[/color]

Last edited by Najee on Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:40 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Najee Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Reply to topic    Afrocentric Online Forum Index » Celebrity Gossip All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: