Forum IndexRegisterGamesSearchFAQBankMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
"Unsung" Season whatever 2012
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Reply to topic    Afrocentric Online Forum Index » Celebrity Gossip View previous topic
View next topic

"Unsung" Season whatever 2012
Marz

Joined10 Jul 2003
Posts30659
Bank4294967295
Bones546243.93 Bones

Post Reply with quote
I watched. After further review, he's worthy of an "UNSUNG" feature. Especially when you consider that "Arrested development" got one.

As I said prior to this airing.

[quote][b]The only reason I'll say "Gerald Levert" is Unsung is that he's NOT at ALL known outside of Black circles.[/b]

Personally I didn't fuck too much with Gerald when he went solo. I preferred his stuff with "Levert". "POP POP goes My MIND" is STILL my schit!!!

I thought his solo career was pandering to women of sorts. Can anyone recommend a good solo Gerald Levert album?? I remember his first one was good but I'm hard pressed to name ANY of his solo tracks honestly.[/quote]

This was pretty much echo'd but had no idea he was a pill head. Not surprising though considering how the 90's pretty much wiped out traditional R&B.

He was a victim of his own success. His voice WAS too "BIG" for POP MUSIC frankly and his stuff was ALWAYS targeted for a peer group that was older than he was even. I had no idea he was only 18 when "POP POP" & "Cassanova" were out.

Most people AREN'T gonna like me saying this but while his fans "LOVED" his, "TEDDY BEAR'esque" look. It was that (look) that KILLED him from winning over his peer group. Consider this...

In '91 Gerald was 25 years old. Thats when his 1st solo came out. I could share some personal experiences I had with them (all good) but I'll just say that, I know for a fact that dude (this is when radio was still playing traditional formats) he as Sylvia Rhone mentioned was plugged on AC (Adult contemporary).

Don't get me started about how he was the bread winner for both real and extended family.

Him doing the "L S G" thing was a very good experiment . At that stage though, I think him focusing on a big "POP HIT" was the wrong focus. I'm not saying it would have been EASY, but he needed something like a "soundtrack", a "TV appearance" that could showcase his voice like that.

In the late 90s at the height of "Cash MOney", "Ruff Ryders", "Brittney Spears", "Sugar Ray"., etc there was NO WAY Gerald could EVER crack into that audience even with his best material.

Lots of times people who have to support a variety of people don't want to cut them off because they're afraid of the "backlash". It's easy to say this now but him also being a song writer, he could have farmed those talents out.

Does anyone remember "3 times Dope"aka "Funky Dividends", "Greatest Man Alive"? Well the lead rapper, EST wrote "Destiny Child's" - "Cater 2 u". You're telling me that Gerald, a much more experienced LOVE, R&B song writer couldn't have lent out his pen?? At that time groups like FULL FORCE were hitting it out the park with boy bands of the time.

He had way too much talent to not exhaust all his opportunities and god forbid becoming a pill head.
Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:12 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Marz Send private message Send e-mail
Marz

Joined10 Jul 2003
Posts30659
Bank4294967295
Bones546243.93 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[i], but once I watched her episode of Unsung, I got the impression that she's a little dumb. [/i]

Me 3!! I thought she was incredible back in the 90s and being a crackhead aside, wow she seems like a dingbat.

[i]you could tell from his songs that he actually liked women.[/i]

I don't have anything negative to say towards this comment it's just pretty interesting how people can hear this in music to an extent.

I'm just mad at him and yes, I'm glad they showed a picture of him in the mid 2000s because I remember saying on here how friggin horrible he was looking. I'll be frank. There were instances his father looked to be not only in better shape but at times younger than him. I didn't even wanna touch on his child support issues but I'm certain that was a burden on him also.

It's kinda sad because he wasn't the headliner often time when he tour'd and he easily had headliner talent. I'm not familiar with his solo discography much (I did remember and earlier acknowledge his first solo album. I also remembered the Eddie Levert cut) but I'd be willing to bet that it was pretty much void of uptempo much, right??

I'm saying that to say this. Even though I loved, "POP POP" what made me like "LEVERT" was cuts like, "Just Coolin.." (damn just realized he and Hev are gone) and "addicted to you"
Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:20 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Marz Send private message Send e-mail
juju

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts22914
LocationNeverland Valley Ranch
Bank4294967295
Bones30244.24 Bones

Post Reply with quote
His last album had plenty of up tempo. "Wanna Get Up With You" is uptempo as is "DJ Don't." The latter was actually a song about not playing a slow song. lol That's my work out song. Truth be told, for much of his short life, Gerald was sexy for a fat guy. That was part of his appeal. He could sing, he could dance, he was nicely groomed, he had a cute smile and a charming personality. And for some women, him being famous made him even more appealing.

I do miss his voice though. They call it soulful. Gerald Levert sang like a grown man. It was like his vocal cords marinated in chicken grease. Laughing I loved it. I hate the nasal sounding staccato voiced black male singers around today. It's like they all sing soprano.
Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:03 pm View user's profile Find all posts by juju Send private message
MHC

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts22860
LocationSomewhere quietly gaining power...
Bank4294967295
Bones999999999.99 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="juju"]I do miss his voice though. They call it soulful. Gerald Levert sang like a grown man. It was like his vocal cords marinated in chicken grease. Laughing I loved it. I hate the nasal sounding staccato voiced black male singers around today. It's like they all sing soprano.[/quote]

Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:48 pm View user's profile Find all posts by MHC Send private message
NEAquarius

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts15542
Locationhere, there, everywhere
Bank0
Bones33553.70 Bones

Post Reply with quote
I could never decide if Miki was dumb or it was crackhead residue Laughing

I enjoyed the Unsung but I guess Ive always been in the minority. I never found Gerald sexy I guess cause of all that sweating. He was talented though its too bad he wasn't satisfied when he died
Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:58 pm View user's profile Find all posts by NEAquarius Send private message
Marz

Joined10 Jul 2003
Posts30659
Bank4294967295
Bones546243.93 Bones

Post Reply with quote
Thats good, you been saying this album was good so I'll check it out. You're agreeing that Gerald was sexy MR HC?? LOL

This Unsung reminds me of Phyllis Hymen's and the dilemma good/great artist go through. It's like you can be TOO talented for your own good. Luther wasn't much of a writer but I remember when he was going through this. I can't pin-point it but I remember when he came out with an album that deviated completely from his more soulful stuff and people (his real fans) scream FOUL.

I know that "respect" pays no bills frankly but Gerald was never a commercial artist. Yeah "Cassanova" was big (god that song was on the radio ALL the time) but like I said, this guy has as much of a cross-over base as Kenny Chesney sells in the hood.

That said though, Maze is another band that fits this but heck, they haven't made music (new that's commercially viable) in damn near 25 years yet they can tour and have a loyal fan base. I guess I think part of the problem is it seems Gerald didn't cultivate his fan base like Maze did theirs.

Also, (according to the Unsung), chasing or hoping for "pop success" while catering to an over 30-35 + clientele, he's not gonna get it that way.

I'm not trying to be mean. He's one of the few fat artist I actually like (I like Dave Hollister better personally,lol). I'm just saying a lot of this was his on doing.

This reminds me, when I was at that Patti Labelle show. I'll say that was 01 or 02. I swear maybe 3/4 of his set was Levert stuff. My point is that even though he seemed to have a million solo albums, they were probably good, but they were getting little to any spins. Thus his material awareness was also lacking.
Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:04 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Marz Send private message Send e-mail
Dyva

Joined26 Sep 2002
Posts3897
LocationDyvaville, USA
Bank4294967295
Bones9139.98 Bones

Post Reply with quote
MIKI WAS JUST A CRACKHEAD WITH CRACKHEAD TENDENCIES. GERALD SANG GOOD BUT WAS A FAT BAMA. HIS SONG I REMEMBER WAS "FUNNY" THE VIDEO WAS GOOD TOO WHERE HE WAS TALKING TO THE GAL ON THE PHONE IN THE CAR AND THEN HE CRASHED.

NO WONDA HE NEVER GOT WITH MIKI HE DIDN'T WANT A READY MADE FAMILY HE JUST WANTED TO PHUCK AND BE MERRY
Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:05 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Dyva Send private message
Marz

Joined10 Jul 2003
Posts30659
Bank4294967295
Bones546243.93 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="Dyva"]MIKI WAS JUST A CRACKHEAD WITH CRACKHEAD TENDENCIES. GERALD SANG GOOD BUT WAS A FAT BAMA. HIS SONG I REMEMBER WAS "FUNNY" THE VIDEO WAS GOOD TOO WHERE HE WAS TALKING TO THE GAL ON THE PHONE IN THE CAR AND THEN HE CRASHED.

NO WONDA HE NEVER GOT WITH MIKI HE DIDN'T WANT A READY MADE FAMILY HE JUST WANTED TO PHUCK AND BE MERRY[/quote]

LMAO!!! 99% of people would have thought such a flattering post would have come from me,lol.
Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:56 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Marz Send private message Send e-mail

Reply to topic    Afrocentric Online Forum Index » Celebrity Gossip All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: