Forum IndexRegisterGamesSearchFAQBankMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
"Unsung" Season whatever 2012
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Reply to topic    Afrocentric Online Forum Index » Celebrity Gossip View previous topic
View next topic

"Unsung" Season whatever 2012
Dyva

Joined26 Sep 2002
Posts3897
LocationDyvaville, USA
Bank4294967295
Bones9139.98 Bones

Post Reply with quote
FULL FORCE WAS A GOOD EPISODE. UTFO(2) OF THEM ROXANNE ROXANNE, I WANNA BE YO MAN..PAUL ANTHONY LOOKS GOOD WITH THE CANCER. I DIDN'T RECOGNIZE LISA LISA IN THE BEGINNING, BUT SHE LOOKS THE SAME JUST BIGGER. CHERYL PEPSI RILEY - THANKS FOR MY CHILD - I THOUGHT IT WAS ABOUT A GUY WHO LEFT HER DIDN'T REALIZE BOW LEGGED LOU WROTE IT BOUT HIS FORMER WIFE THAT HAD A MISCARRIAGE. BUT HIS OTHER 2 KIDS LOOK JUST LIKE HIM

NEXT WEEK MILLIE JACKSON I AM WAITING FOR WHODINI THE BACK GUY JALIL WAS THE BROTHER OF THE GUY IN UTFO.

BACK IN THE DAY I HAD A CARE FREE CURL JHERI CURL (THE 80'S)

LIKE RFTW (MELVIN RILEY) OH OH SHEILA

THE TIME
FULL FORCE ETC
Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:11 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Dyva Send private message
westphilly37

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts15181
LocationGA Central
Bank4294967295
Bones40261.00 Bones

Post Reply with quote
I think what sets Full Force apart from most of the Unsung acts is that they used their talents to make money in other genres. These guys are impressive.
Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:23 pm View user's profile Find all posts by westphilly37 Send private message
pacco96

Joined17 Sep 2005
Posts5011
Bank0
Bones18727.44 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote]Before Pacco went off on his tizzy I think I clarified that I wasn't at my peak in that error in essence saying I would have partook in some of this probably so thank god I didn't. [/quote]

I am in a tizzy, I guess you always fussy...you Northerners always got to be right even when it's an opinion. lol

Just now saw this...since it reference me. I look at the 80's as 2 eras the MJ and Prince era, 1981-1985 with the curls, makeup and metrosexuality, the New Jack, Bboy and Gangsta Rap era (1986 - )

Weren't at your peak??? Uh all that the jheri curls, make up, glam rock was beginning to mid 80's etc. Begnning the same age, I think you were 12 or 13. By that 1987, ppl were going to the fades ala Eric B. and Rakim.
Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:54 pm View user's profile Find all posts by pacco96 Send private message
DaSmoov1

Joined03 Jul 2002
Posts6553
LocationOhio
Bank0
Bones22982.11 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="Marz"]FULL FORCE episode....

I think they fit EVERY aspect of "UNSUNG" so there can't be ANY disagreements or atleast a consensus why they were featured.

The good news and THANK GOD is that it wasn't the typical, "egos", drugs, etc that takes down most groups. I'm sure the family (I didn't know they were all related) that were B Fine, Lou and Paul could have whined why they weren't in "House Party" but again, great it didn't blow up big time.

Congrats on Paul's recovery. He looks great and I hope he gets well and rid that.
B
I wasn't the biggest fan of theirs honestly (the jeri curls were a total turn off even then) but I did respect them. I knew even then they did a lot of the Lisa Lisa, UTFO stuff. What I didn't know is they did a lot of production for Jasmine Guy's album which wasn't a bad album.

But very good story[/quote]

Agreed.
Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:59 pm View user's profile Find all posts by DaSmoov1 Send private message ICQ Number
Najee

Joined06 Apr 2002
Posts6945
Bank0
Bones21598.12 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[color=darkred][b]"Just now saw this...since it reference me. I look at the 80's as 2 eras the MJ and Prince era, 1981-1985 with the curls, makeup and metrosexuality, the New Jack, Bboy and Gangsta Rap era (1986 - )

Weren't at your peak??? Uh all that the jheri curls, make up, glam rock was beginning to mid 80's etc. Begnning the same age, I think you were 12 or 13. By that 1987, ppl were going to the fades ala Eric B. and Rakim."[/b]

I agree -- if anything, the jheri curl was the dominant hairstyle choice through 1987. Around 1988, the natural hairstyles (along with the geometric cuts and lines) started becoming more popular. The processed hairstyles started being tapered in the back and on the sides and tighter curl styles (like the S-Curl) slowly were replacing the jheri curl. The processed hairstyles were considered out of step circa 1991-92.

I'm not getting this association of jheri curls with metrosexuality or implied homosexuality. It was a common hairstyle black men wore; if anything, I typically saw men with that hairstyle more than women. Guys were not "trying to look like women" because they got a jheri curl; they wanted to wear the then-contemporary hairstyle. It seems like since the movie "Coming to America," some black people want to use selective history on defining this hairstyle and hope that if they keep using such a slanted reinterpretation long enough people will forget this was a popular and common hairstyle.[/color]

Last edited by Najee on Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:19 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Najee Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
pacco96

Joined17 Sep 2005
Posts5011
Bank0
Bones18727.44 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="Najee"][color=darkred][b]"Just now saw this...since it reference me. I look at the 80's as 2 eras the MJ and Prince era, 1981-1985 with the curls, makeup and metrosexuality, the New Jack, Bboy and Gangsta Rap era (1986 - )

Weren't at your peak??? Uh all that the jheri curls, make up, glam rock was beginning to mid 80's etc. Begnning the same age, I think you were 12 or 13. By that 1987, ppl were going to the fades ala Eric B. and Rakim."[/b]

I agree -- if anything, the jheri curl was the dominant hairstyle choice through 1987. Around 1988, the natural hairstyles (along with the geometric cuts and lines) started becoming more popular. The processed hairstyles started being tapered in the back and on the sides and tighter curl styles (like the S-Curl) slowly were replacing the jheri curl. The processed hairstyles were considered out of step circa 1991-92.

I'm not getting this association of jheri curls with metrosexuality or implied homosexuality. It was a common hairstyle black men wore; if anything, I typically saw men with that hairstyle more than women. Guys were not "trying to look like women" because they got a jheri curl; they wanted to wear the then-contemporary hairstyle. It seems like since the movie "Coming to America," some black people want to use selective history on defining this hairstyle and hope that if they keep using such a slanted reinterpretation long enough people will forget this was a popular and common hairstyle.[/color][/quote]

WTF, my wireless keyboard skipping words...Anyway

I am not associating jheri curls with metrosexuality. That's narrow-minded and absurd. I agree it was a common hairstyle in the mid 80's. Of course some folks in Mississippi and Alabama forgot that fact. However, it peeked during MJ's Motown 25 performance and declined tremendously after Coming to America...lol. Yet, you have to admit some guys took it to extreme esp with styling it. Never wanted one esp learning they were flammable.
Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:37 pm View user's profile Find all posts by pacco96 Send private message
Najee

Joined06 Apr 2002
Posts6945
Bank0
Bones21598.12 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[color=darkred]I wasn't saying you associated jheri curls with metrosexuality, pacco. It seems like Marz is associating jheri curls with a metrosexual look, along with making some assumption that black men were walking around in everyday life wearing makeup and mascara in the '80s. Moreover, his comment that if he was born 10 years earlier he likely would have worn makeup, eyeliner or a jheri curl reads as if he wasn't alive and a teen-ager in that time period.[/color]

[quote="Marz"]
This is why I thank my parents I wasn't born 10 years earlier. Argh. If you were in your 20's through the 80s and out on the scene. It seems you had either:

1. Jeri Curl
2. Wore makeup
3. Dressed like a broad (eyeliner adn such)[/quote]
Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:45 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Najee Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
pacco96

Joined17 Sep 2005
Posts5011
Bank0
Bones18727.44 Bones

Post Reply with quote
For some reason I think Marz was juicing...I have an instinct for ex-jheri curls wearers. Laughing j/k
Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:48 pm View user's profile Find all posts by pacco96 Send private message
Najee

Joined06 Apr 2002
Posts6945
Bank0
Bones21598.12 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[color=darkred]Well, that would explain the bald head. [/color] Laughing Laughing
Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:02 am View user's profile Find all posts by Najee Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Marz

Joined10 Jul 2003
Posts30659
Bank4294967295
Bones546243.93 Bones

Post Reply with quote
Never had a jeri curl. No one said it was faggery to have a jeri curl. I did SAY that that era was filled with fashion that I'm GLAD I was a part of and I was speaking of the jeri curl, makeup, etc. when I say PEAK or prime I'm speaking of adulthood. I was a teenager in the 80s.

Anyways the curl was wack to me even when it was vogue. Want proof? Most style tend to come back in some variation at a 20 yr interval. Heck u even see high top fades now here and there. Curls were one and DONE period. Of course you'll see the old playa playa JEROME type that Mack Diva likes (lol) that'll still rock one but those are easy exceptions.
Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:56 am View user's profile Find all posts by Marz Send private message Send e-mail
pacco96

Joined17 Sep 2005
Posts5011
Bank0
Bones18727.44 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="Marz"]Never had a jeri curl. No one said it was faggery to have a jeri curl. I did SAY that that era was filled with fashion that I'm GLAD I was a part of and I was speaking of the jeri curl, makeup, etc. when I say PEAK or prime I'm speaking of adulthood. I was a teenager in the 80s.

Anyways the curl was wack to me even when it was vogue. Want proof? [b]Most style tend to come back in some variation at a 20 yr interval. Heck u even see high top fades now here and there. Curls were one and DONE period. [/b] Of course you'll see the old playa playa JEROME type that Mack Diva likes (lol) that'll still rock one but those are easy exceptions.[/quote]

Not necessarily true. You had the S-curl esp those who sport them in their fades, fros' and mohawks. Styles never die they simply become more subtle ,not as dripping.
Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:05 am View user's profile Find all posts by pacco96 Send private message
mack

Joined16 Jan 2002
Posts56791
LocationSnotlanta
Bank4294967295
Bones990061542.19 Bones

Post Reply with quote
@ Marz.

The curl was the conkaline of the 80s.
Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:33 am View user's profile Find all posts by mack Send private message AIM Address
TROUBLEMAN69

Joined18 Jan 2002
Posts6028
Bank4294967295
Bones3201.72 Bones

Post Reply with quote
I had a "California Curl" for like six months in the 6th grade. Went swimming, and it was a wrap.
Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:49 am View user's profile Find all posts by TROUBLEMAN69 Send private message AIM Address
aisha

Joined04 Mar 2002
Posts13144
LocationWhy? You wanna come over?
Bank0
Bones26969.84 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[i]*putting hand up without any shame*[/i]

I had a jheri curl. I totally begged for it. Still remember buying the kit and getting it done at this chick's house when I was about 13 or 14 (no, I didn't go to the hair salon, work with me people Laughing). Kept it for 6 months then went back to natural -- hey when you're 13 your dad (well at least MY dad) DOES NOT finance a curl every 4-6 months Laughing. But for that first 3 months or so, you couldn't talk to me about my Michael Jackson curls in the front. Laughing And I never had the super greasy stuff, I don't really remember well, but I used a gel that came in a big tube, no spray stuff didn't like the smells.

What? Laughing I LOVE the 80s (not the clothes!) didn't I tell y'all already? I wasn't in my 20s then but I sure wish I was. I used to dream of driving a BMW, wearing faux tortoiseshell glasses and being a stockbroker or an accountant living in a large pied a terre in Manhattan. (Okay, I admit my dream was very nerdy, and Billy Idol "White Wedding" video like, but my totally 80s music love is really punk rock or heavy metal so . . . . Laughing)

I haven't seen the Full Force epi, I gotta try and tape it.
Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:19 pm View user's profile Find all posts by aisha Send private message
BishopTuTu

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts43669
LocationMD
Bank4294967295
Bones86572.28 Bones

Post Reply with quote
I had a curl too aisha and I ain't afraid to share it! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:27 pm View user's profile Find all posts by BishopTuTu Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
amethyst

Joined20 Jan 2002
Posts16439
LocationThe Woods
Bank4294967295
Bones2317.57 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="BishopTuTu"]I had a curl too aisha and I ain't afraid to share it! Laughing Laughing Laughing[/quote]

My curl was da bomb. I took my high school graduation pic with my curl. Very Happy
Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:57 pm View user's profile Find all posts by amethyst Send private message AIM Address
amethyst

Joined20 Jan 2002
Posts16439
LocationThe Woods
Bank4294967295
Bones2317.57 Bones

Post Reply with quote
Millie Jackson

http://tvone.tv/unsung-videos?pid=0KxWqIMqYDGrDYJTeQ7NMq00UFDUcR8w
Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:24 am View user's profile Find all posts by amethyst Send private message AIM Address
NEAquarius

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts15542
Locationhere, there, everywhere
Bank0
Bones33553.70 Bones

Post Reply with quote
OMG she had me dying. Laughing
Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:24 am View user's profile Find all posts by NEAquarius Send private message
mack

Joined16 Jan 2002
Posts56791
LocationSnotlanta
Bank4294967295
Bones990061542.19 Bones

Post Reply with quote
Love her She has done it her way. Also, she was smart with her money!
Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:55 am View user's profile Find all posts by mack Send private message AIM Address
Marz

Joined10 Jul 2003
Posts30659
Bank4294967295
Bones546243.93 Bones

Post Reply with quote
Another "UNSUNG" no questions asked.

My moms thought she was vulgar (she was). I'm not really familiar with her material but I have seen those record covers. Here's another indirect contribution of Millie Jackson to the current landscape

It's funny how the tree goes and I'm not talking about just Millie either.

Jules Rifkin (who was featured last night) the owner of "Spring Records", the one that gave Millie her deal. [b] His (the son)[/b] got his start in the record business promoting those Millie Jackson records (creating her standees,displays, etc) in independent record stores(read: Black MOM & POP record stores) and such. He later took that knowledge and applied it to the being a paid 'street team'. (Something we've been doing for years but didn't capitalize on it. Oh well).

He (his name is Steve Rifkin) used that knowledge of "street team" (I'll promote your hip hop records because you labels don't know how to do it at all) and parlayed that to his own record label. That record label became super famous when he (like his father who took the chance on Millie) signed Wu TANG CLAN..

The Wu Tang Clan deal is VERY important in Black music history because it was the first time artist had deals as group members but could get their own OUTSIDE deals with OTHER LABELS. This had never been done before (unless the member was kicked out of the group).

This is relevant to Millie because he would have NEVER learned the game if he wasn't promoting her wild, edgy (and it was) stuff.

Back to Millie now, that was a great awesome using the "Play" as a vehicle to promote her projects. I remember those also.
Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:25 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Marz Send private message Send e-mail

Reply to topic    Afrocentric Online Forum Index » Celebrity Gossip All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: