Forum IndexRegisterGamesSearchFAQBankMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Treme
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Reply to topic    Afrocentric Online Forum Index » Celebrity Gossip View previous topic
View next topic

Treme
Kaiju

Joined16 Jan 2002
Posts8375
LocationA Snowy Hilltop In The Midwest
Bank4294967295
Bones19268.54 Bones

Post Treme Reply with quote
The first episode was incredible. This is the first time since Frank's Place that a show has truly gotten the feel of New Orleans right. I felt like I was at
home. I liked all the characters and I felt like I knew these folks.

I imagine some of the things like Mardi Gras Indian traditions and Second Lines might be a bit confusing for the newbie but just enjoy the ride and everything
will become clear.

Clarke Peters is killing it as Big Chief Lambreaux. The emotion of him trying to reassemble his scattered tribe is palpable.

Wendell Pierce has nailed the role as Antoine Batiste. He plays the hustling, working musician to a tee. I really, really know that guy.

Khandi Alexander is Ladonna, Antoine's ex. She's trying to split time between Baton Rouge and rebuilding her New Orleans. Her search for her missing brother
is all too familiar.

I loved Steve Zahn's hipper than thou DJ Davis. A lot of folks don't like him but if you've ever gone record hunting you know this guy. He cracked me up.

I'll write more later. I'm getting my Nawlins on today. "Won't bow...don't know how!"

Last edited by Kaiju on Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:56 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Kaiju Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
NEAquarius

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts15542
Locationhere, there, everywhere
Bank0
Bones33553.70 Bones

Post Reply with quote
I like it so far. Knowing that you have to be patient in waiting for a David Simon show to come together helps.

Sorry Kaiju but I really wanted someone to jack up the Steve Zahn character especially after he opened up that bottle of wine.
Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:09 pm View user's profile Find all posts by NEAquarius Send private message
Kaiju

Joined16 Jan 2002
Posts8375
Bank4294967295
Bones19268.54 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="NEAquarius"]I like it so far. Knowing that you have to be patient in waiting for a David Simon show to come together helps.

Sorry Kaiju but I really wanted someone to jack up the Steve Zahn character especially after he opened up that bottle of wine.[/quote]

Oh he definitely needed a whipping for that one. I like the character but he's an asshole for sure. Laughing Did you see him torturing his neighbors by blasting Mystikal? Laughing
Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:48 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Kaiju Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
DamnYouAll

Joined08 Mar 2005
Posts9973
LocationThrowin' some D's on it!!!
Bank0
Bones66448.94 Bones

Post Reply with quote
What time and what channel does this come on? I saw something about it the other day and I thought it looked promising.
Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:18 pm View user's profile Find all posts by DamnYouAll Send private message
bb74

Joined14 Nov 2002
Posts64999
LocationDon't Worry About It
Bank4294967295
Bones127358.74 Bones

Post Reply with quote
We got rid of HBO after The Wire went off...is this worth us getting it back?
Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:39 pm View user's profile Find all posts by bb74 Send private message
Errin1

Joined19 Jan 2002
Posts6061
Bank0
Bones2995.64 Bones

Post Reply with quote
BB it's worth it!
I figured Kaiju would post a thread about these bammas Laughing .
I'm still sad about David Mills' passing. It'll take me some time...it was like losing family......family you really cared about.
I need to go watch the Tudors but Treme is on my must see TV list.
Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:44 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Errin1 Send private message Send e-mail
Kaiju

Joined16 Jan 2002
Posts8375
Bank4294967295
Bones19268.54 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="Errin1"]BB it's worth it!
I figured Kaiju would post a thread about these bammas Laughing .
I'm still sad about David Mills' passing. It'll take me some time...it was like losing family......family you really cared about.
I need to go watch the Tudors but Treme is on my must see TV list.[/quote]

Bammas? That two states over. Laughing

BB,
I don't know if its worth getting HBO for this alone but I'm loving the show so far. But between this and True Blood it could be worth your dollars until the end of summer.
Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:26 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Kaiju Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
OHbrotha

Joined26 Mar 2002
Posts48732
Bank4294967295
Bones34438.75 Bones

Post Reply with quote
I guess I need to get this for this show and The Pacific...
Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:39 pm View user's profile Find all posts by OHbrotha Send private message Visit poster's website
Kaiju

Joined16 Jan 2002
Posts8375
Bank4294967295
Bones19268.54 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="OHbrotha"]I guess I need to get this for this show and The Pacific...[/quote]

I'm underwhelmed by The Pacific. It has a been there done that feel and none of the characters are that interesting.

DYA,
It's on Sunday nights at 10 pm.
Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:01 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Kaiju Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Errin1

Joined19 Jan 2002
Posts6061
Bank0
Bones2995.64 Bones

Post Reply with quote
hey I'm from the North Kai....for me, everybody under us are bammas Laughing

I heart John Goodman and his anger and I was so geeked to see his wife. I loved Melissa on Homicide.

HBO has the entire list of music for this episode posted. http://www.hbo.com/treme?cmpid=ABC125#/treme/episodes/1/01-do-you-know-what-it-means/music
Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:16 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Errin1 Send private message Send e-mail
NEAquarius

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts15542
Bank0
Bones33553.70 Bones

Post Reply with quote
Yeah I laughed at playing Mystikal for the gay neighbors. Laughing

[quote="Errin1"]I'm still sad about David Mills' passing. It'll take me some time...it was like losing family......family you really cared about.[/quote]

His nephew posted a note on the Undercover Blackman blog. They had his funeral today in the DC/Maryland area.
Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:56 pm View user's profile Find all posts by NEAquarius Send private message
Errin1

Joined19 Jan 2002
Posts6061
Bank0
Bones2995.64 Bones

Post Reply with quote
ty NE for making me tear up. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Kaiju, explain the importance of these Chiefs.... what exactly do they do???

a friend of mine sent me this link http://www.mardigrasneworleans.com/mardigrasindians.html
Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:16 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Errin1 Send private message Send e-mail
NEAquarius

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts15542
Bank0
Bones33553.70 Bones

Post Reply with quote
Sorry. Embarassed But I found the nephew's note really sweet. I'm going to have to dig through the old posts where Mills posted his music and see if I can save them.
Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:51 pm View user's profile Find all posts by NEAquarius Send private message
Kaiju

Joined16 Jan 2002
Posts8375
Bank4294967295
Bones19268.54 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="Errin1"]ty NE for making me tear up. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

a friend of mine sent me this link http://www.mardigrasneworleans.com/mardigrasindians.html[/quote]

The Big Chief is the leader of the tribe and he dictates the routes and other tribe activities. It's a great honor to be a chief and they spend hellacious amounts of money on their costumes. When they paraded it was always a big deal because it was a neighborhood thing and the tribe was basically representing your part of town. They are like Mardi Gras Krewes in some ways but are more closely tied to their neighborhoods. A lot of times membership in the tribe is hereditary and being accepted into it is a great honor.

The scene between Big Chief Lambreaux and Robinette was powerful. Robinette was a lifelong member of another tribe that was disbanded after Katrina. For him to join a new tribe was a big deal.
Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:01 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Kaiju Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
MHC

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts22860
LocationSomewhere quietly gaining power...
Bank4294967295
Bones999999999.99 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[color=darkred]Those are things that are specific to New Orleans alone that even people from other parts of S. LA don't know about unless they spend a LOT of time there. I hate I'm missing this show...but I'll find it...somewhere. [/color] Cool
Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:13 pm View user's profile Find all posts by MHC Send private message
Bootylicious

Joined14 Jun 2005
Posts8527
LocationYour Computer Screen!
Bank0
Bones95605.42 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="Kaiju"][quote="Errin1"]ty NE for making me tear up. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

a friend of mine sent me this link http://www.mardigrasneworleans.com/mardigrasindians.html[/quote]

The Big Chief is the leader of the tribe and he dictates the routes and other tribe activities. It's a great honor to be a chief and they spend hellacious amounts of money on their costumes. When they paraded it was always a big deal because it was a neighborhood thing and the tribe was basically representing your part of town. They are like Mardi Gras Krewes in some ways but are more closely tied to their neighborhoods. A lot of times membership in the tribe is hereditary and being accepted into it is a great honor.

The scene between Big Chief Lambreaux and Robinette was powerful. Robinette was a lifelong member of another tribe that was disbanded after Katrina. For him to join a new tribe was a big deal.[/quote]
Thanks for this explanation. I was rather confused about that segment of the program. Lambreaux costume reminded me of what the Mummer captains wear but on a smaller scale. [img]http://www.mummersonnationaltv.com/images/05woodlnd_6plcapt.jpg[/img]

Before Katrina, I have been to several NO Mardi Gras. I have never seen any of the [i]"neighborhood"[/i] parades in all that time. I am so sorry I missed those. They really looked like more fun than the ones on Canal Street.

In the beginning of the show, it said "3 weeks after." I gather that meant after Katrina. If so, I though NO was still somewhat flooded plus not safe to return to yet.
Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:26 am View user's profile Find all posts by Bootylicious Send private message
Kaiju

Joined16 Jan 2002
Posts8375
Bank4294967295
Bones19268.54 Bones

Post Reply with quote
It's three months after.
Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:56 am View user's profile Find all posts by Kaiju Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Bootylicious

Joined14 Jun 2005
Posts8527
LocationYour Computer Screen!
Bank0
Bones95605.42 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="Kaiju"]It's three months after.[/quote]
Embarassed gotta start wearing my glasses when watching tv. Embarassed
Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:25 am View user's profile Find all posts by Bootylicious Send private message
hope_springs

Joined19 Jan 2002
Posts10185
Locationend zone
Bank4294967295
Bones24350.16 Bones
Game Trophies:  1
Hall Of Fame Member

Post Reply with quote
ok y'all know that was Phyllis Montana LeBlanc from When The Levees Broke playing Wendell Pierce's girlfriend. I loved that!!!

I have always loved and been fascinated by Mardi Gras Indians....Vixenettes this should make my crush wearing a blue unicorn outfit more clear. Laughing

Loved loved loved seeing Kermit Ruffin...the line about him being satisfied just blowing his horn and barbqueing is soo true!

I wondered if people who aren't from New Orleans are going to be able to get into the show. I hope so.
Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:12 am View user's profile Find all posts by hope_springs Send private message
Errin1

Joined19 Jan 2002
Posts6061
Bank0
Bones2995.64 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="hope_springs"]ok y'all know that was Phyllis Montana LeBlanc from When The Levees Broke playing Wendell Pierce's girlfriend. I loved that!!!

I have always loved and been fascinated by Mardi Gras Indians....Vixenettes this should make my crush wearing a blue unicorn outfit more clear. Laughing

Loved loved loved seeing Kermit Ruffin...the line about him being satisfied just blowing his horn and barbqueing is soo true!

I wondered if people who aren't from New Orleans are going to be able to get into the show. I hope so.[/quote]

I'm not from N.O. and I like it so far. I love their accents. I also thought Batiste's girlfriend looked familiar. Thanks for the hint because it was nagging me where I saw her before. I love Simon and the crew for using great actors and trying to keep some authenticity. Makes K-Ville look like the freckled face step-child.
Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:08 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Errin1 Send private message Send e-mail

Reply to topic    Afrocentric Online Forum Index » Celebrity Gossip All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: