Forum IndexRegisterGamesSearchFAQBankMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
NEW MUSIC 411
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48, 49  Next

Reply to topic    Afrocentric Online Forum Index » Celebrity Gossip View previous topic
View next topic

NEW MUSIC 411
OHbrotha

Joined26 Mar 2002
Posts48732
Bank4294967295
Bones34438.75 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="DaSmoov1"]Anyone got that new Calvin Richardson or El Debarge ?[/quote]

fuck Calvin...I'll be getting the new El this weekend.
Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:59 pm View user's profile Find all posts by OHbrotha Send private message Visit poster's website
AmbitiousPrncess

Joined04 Sep 2006
Posts7545
Locationtrying to find my zen....
Bank4294967295
Bones17599.84 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="QTPie"]Thought since his MTV special is premiering tonight, I should do a review.

[img]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51693FL6CXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg[/img]

[u][b]Drake - Thank Me Later[/b][/u]

Ok, where do I begin? Overall, decent effort. I know that he makes entirely too much music though to excuse some of the songs on this album. I think some people will be bored because they don't listen to lyrics. Unlike other rappers, his shit is not about the beat. It's about him in this game, fighting haters and holding on to, or perhaps releasing the fame. Drake is lyrical. A lot of times you have to "know him" to understand his references. There's no Meyer Lanski or Eliot Ness references. It's not gangster. There's a lil bit of Chanel, Gucci, Louis V talk, but mostly done by T.I. Ain't no talk about drugs unless he's talking about the kush that he's rolling. Lots of songs about broads. Lots. The guest spots are supportive, not over bearing. He will never have to worry about getting killed on his own track if the other rappers keep this up.

The song I like the least is the one playing on the radio right now, what's that about? Laughing I think it's a crap song, but what do I know. IMO, he should have released this CD months ago, not a week before Eminem drops. Not that anyone is promoting Em right now, I'm just saying.

Ok, let me get to it:

#1 "Fireworks" (feat. Alicia Keys) - This is not the same version that was leaked months ago, there's a lot less (thank goodness) Alicia singing. Alicia, what happened to this woman's voice? She just doesn't sound the same to me. It's CLEAR that he's talking about Rihanna in this song (2nd verse.) This song is about wanting love.

#2 "Karaoke" - He's singing on half this cut. I like the groove. He's singing to a girl who left him because he was trying to get on. That he worked too much, etc and that the "spotlight made her nervous", so she bounced. Now, I don't know if this song has a hidden meaning, it probably does, but I haven't caught it yet.

#3 "The Resistance" - My favorite song on the album. I know many many guys who relate to this song ironically. I just like how smart he is on this song. He's talking about his friends who are upset because they think he's not the same. He talks about how he's changing the game and didn't realize that things were different, but people need to understand why.

#4 "Over" - Another joint produced by Boi 1Da (he's pretty much done all of Drake's singles except for Say Something which was done by Timbaland for his album.) One of the singles we've heard 5000 times already. This song took some getting used to for me. I like it now.

#5 "Show Me a Good Time" - A party cut. It's an obvious Kanye production.

#6 "Up All Night" (feat. Nicki Minaj) - I call this the Soulja Boi song because of the hook and the monotonous voice he puts on. I love this joint, it crank, the beat is dumb. Nicki, starts off strong, the middle is weak and stupid as hell, finishes with a small caliber bang. She needs writing help. One "metaphor" was "fuck I look like hoe, I look like yes, you look like no." SIGH! This is a Young Money anthem song.

#7 "Fancy" (feat. T.I. and Swizz Beatz) - This is the single I said that I didn't care for. It's on the radio, I'm sure I'll get over it. I think it's a cute song, but it's not my type of song. T.I. comes in like he's been locked up and held hostage from a mic. Laughing Appreciate it! Mary J is on this track, it's strange, I don't know if they credit her in the liner notes since I don't buy shit. But it's her voice on the hook.

#8 "Shut It Down" (feat. The Dream) - Stripper song fronting as a song to this sexy girl who he's impressed by. He's telling her that she's gonna shut the spot down because she's a bad chick.

#9 "Unforgettable" (feat. Young Jeezy) - I think 40 produced this one. He's again singing to a chick. I don't like this song. I don't like Drake's verses. I don't like how they sampled Aaliyah's voice, it doesn't make sense to me and it's off of the beat. Jeezy's verse was nice, trust and believe, but I still don't like the track. I'll have to listen to it a hundred more times.

#10 "Light Up" (feat. Jay Z) - One of the coldest cuts on this album. Jay Z is basically schooling Drake on the game. Drake kills his verses and Jay raps like he hasn't in a while. Owwww... "con edison flow, I'm connected to a higher power..."

#11 "Miss Me" (feat. Lil Wayne) - Another fave. Produced by Boi 1Da, it's another song about how great Drake is. LOL. Wayne comes in like he just happened to be in the studio, sippin yak, smoking boat and decided to jump on the mic and spit raw. He's so random but I love it. I am convinced that he wasn't supposed to be on this song at first.

[i]ETA: I just looked up 'Miss Me' to find out why he shouted out Trill and Bun B on this cut. And I was 100% correct. Bun B made that song. Wayne liked it and they took Bun out. I knew I wasn't crazy. [/i]

#12 "CeCe's Interlude" - Stripper soooonnnnng.

#13 "Find Your Love" - I don't know why some people don't like this song. Kanye KILT this fuckin beat. Someone tell Drake that no matter how much he loves this chick, doesn't mean they won't break up. LOL

#14 "Thank Me Now" - Produced by Timbaland. Hot track. Reminds me of Jay-Z's "Thank You." It's a play on the album title obviously. Drake says to thank him for breathing life into this game and he basically says fuck the haters who don't see the evidence. "Rappers hit me up, but I never know what to tell them, cuz they think that I can help them, get back to where they fell from."[/quote]

interesting. I'm still undecided about this dude, although I do like "find your love" (probably the beat more....i'm a beat junky, and would gladly blank out most of the lyrical content these days Rolling Eyes )

anyway.....you've made me curious. Is this CD or a link out yet?
Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:24 pm View user's profile Find all posts by AmbitiousPrncess Send private message
QTPie

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts74993
LocationSinnin' and fallin' short.
Bank4294967295
Bones999999999.99 Bones

Post Reply with quote
Been out since I reviewed it. His voice can get grating, but I love his main producer and I love that he's not mentally retarded. Laughing Laughing He doesn't rap about bitches, guns and drugs. He doesn't pretend to be hard or a thug. When he speaks, he sounds like a normal boy raised in a white neighborhood. LOL No pretenses. I LOVED his MTV special because he just seemed real without sounding like an imbecile.

It's refreshing.
Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:27 pm View user's profile Find all posts by QTPie Send private message
OHbrotha

Joined26 Mar 2002
Posts48732
Bank4294967295
Bones34438.75 Bones

Post Reply with quote
he's Rob Base Y2K10-11 Confused

you rip Kanye yet give this one props? boo.
Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:35 pm View user's profile Find all posts by OHbrotha Send private message Visit poster's website
QTPie

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts74993
Bank4294967295
Bones999999999.99 Bones

Post Reply with quote
I rip Kanye because he wouldn't shut the frak up. Not even for two seconds. On tv crying and whining and sh*t. That mess was annoying as hell. I am a BG Kanye fan. I think that he's amazingly creative and knows how to create beautiful music. I appreciate that he doesn't put himself in a box. I loved 808s and Heartbeats. I got it 100% and I crank it.

I LOVE The Love Below (Andre 3000.) I love Drake. I love Jay Z. I love Ceelo Green. I love Florence and the Machine. I love Grizzly Bear. I love Solange.

I love anyone whose trying to change the concept of music and art. People not following trends.

FREE WEEZY!
Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:40 pm View user's profile Find all posts by QTPie Send private message
OHbrotha

Joined26 Mar 2002
Posts48732
Bank4294967295
Bones34438.75 Bones

Post Reply with quote
The Love Below was a masterpiece and I agree, Kanye shut the fuck up and put out the damn music, man!

Florence & The Machine, awesome. I actually thought that Solange was tighter than her sister on couple of tracks off her last album, T.O.N.Y. was one of them.
Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:47 pm View user's profile Find all posts by OHbrotha Send private message Visit poster's website
DaSmoov1

Joined03 Jul 2002
Posts6552
LocationOhio
Bank0
Bones22979.21 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="OHbrotha"][quote="DaSmoov1"]Anyone got that new Calvin Richardson or El Debarge ?[/quote]

fuck Calvin...I'll be getting the new El this weekend.[/quote]

Don't sleep on the CR... I'll check out El too. Smile
Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:42 pm View user's profile Find all posts by DaSmoov1 Send private message ICQ Number
QTPie

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts74993
Bank4294967295
Bones999999999.99 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[img]http://www.chartattack.com/files/imagecache/content_image-680xauto/chart_global/reviews/kanye-west-my-beautiful-dark-twisted-fantasy-cover.jpg[/img]

Get it. Razz
Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:56 pm View user's profile Find all posts by QTPie Send private message
Bootylicious

Joined14 Jun 2005
Posts8527
LocationYour Computer Screen!
Bank0
Bones95605.42 Bones

Post Reply with quote
The Philadelphia Inquirer rated his album [b]4 stars out of 4![/b] Said it was his best album ever!!!! Shocked
Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:17 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Bootylicious Send private message
QTPie

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts74993
Bank4294967295
Bones999999999.99 Bones

Post Reply with quote
hmm... Yeh. I agree I guess. Late Registration is my sh*t though.
Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:55 pm View user's profile Find all posts by QTPie Send private message
noirprncess

Joined27 Sep 2005
Posts18132
LocationNorthern NJ
Bank4294967295
Bones29117.66 Bones

Post Reply with quote
Is this album more like his first three? or more like the last one? If its more like the last one, I will pass.
Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:29 pm View user's profile Find all posts by noirprncess Send private message Yahoo Messenger
QTPie

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts74993
Bank4294967295
Bones999999999.99 Bones

Post Reply with quote
I love the last one. But no, there's no singing. It's more like his first ones. But there's a lot more to it. To MEEE, it's multifaceted. I think it's really fantastic. Now can we get him to shut the front door, stay off of Twitter and stop going to award shows? Thanks.
Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:42 pm View user's profile Find all posts by QTPie Send private message
juju

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts22914
LocationNeverland Valley Ranch
Bank4294967295
Bones30244.24 Bones

Post Reply with quote
fondray, how was El's album? i was thinking of getting it, but i wasn't feeling the song with faith and i usually like faith. plus i know he's been working with robin thicke and unless there's a special debarge rendition of the theme song to Diff'rent Strokes...no thankums.
Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:15 pm View user's profile Find all posts by juju Send private message
QTPie

Joined17 Jan 2002
Posts74993
Bank4294967295
Bones999999999.99 Bones

Post Reply with quote
Laughing Laughing

Get it anyway. El needs support!
Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:56 pm View user's profile Find all posts by QTPie Send private message
Bootylicious

Joined14 Jun 2005
Posts8527
Bank0
Bones95605.42 Bones

Post Reply with quote
The whole cd is nice.
Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:13 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Bootylicious Send private message
DaSmoov1

Joined03 Jul 2002
Posts6552
LocationOhio
Bank0
Bones22979.21 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="Bootylicious"]The whole cd is nice.[/quote]

I agree. Nice.. Smile
Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:10 am View user's profile Find all posts by DaSmoov1 Send private message ICQ Number
noirprncess

Joined27 Sep 2005
Posts18132
LocationNorthern NJ
Bank4294967295
Bones29117.66 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="DaSmoov1"][quote="Bootylicious"]The whole cd is nice.[/quote]

I agree. Nice.. Smile[/quote]

Yes I agree as well. Also love the new Eric Benet CD.
Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:39 am View user's profile Find all posts by noirprncess Send private message Yahoo Messenger
DaSmoov1

Joined03 Jul 2002
Posts6552
LocationOhio
Bank0
Bones22979.21 Bones

Post Reply with quote
Anyone have that new Mint Condition cd 7?
Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:54 am View user's profile Find all posts by DaSmoov1 Send private message ICQ Number
Bootylicious

Joined14 Jun 2005
Posts8527
Bank0
Bones95605.42 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="DaSmoov1"]Anyone have that new Mint Condition cd 7?[/quote]
http://depositfiles.com/en/files/v7u137cnh

Enjoy!
Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:45 pm View user's profile Find all posts by Bootylicious Send private message
DaSmoov1

Joined03 Jul 2002
Posts6552
LocationOhio
Bank0
Bones22979.21 Bones

Post Reply with quote
[quote="Bootylicious"][quote="DaSmoov1"]Anyone have that new Mint Condition cd 7?[/quote]
http://depositfiles.com/en/files/v7u137cnh

Enjoy![/quote]

THANKS!!!
Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:59 pm View user's profile Find all posts by DaSmoov1 Send private message ICQ Number

Reply to topic    Afrocentric Online Forum Index » Celebrity Gossip All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48, 49  Next
Page 47 of 49

Jump to: